The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Short Film Contest 2010

“If someone has a problem with a Gumby, then they’re the one’s that have the real issues!!!”

yeah I know its just there is so many people out there putting up vids seriously trying to impress people & I’m just making sure its not mistaken for some kind of ” look at me! sponsor me!” vid. I hope that comes across pretty clearly anyway raspberry
I like you - have spent a lot more time in the surf (bodyboarding) than the snow (although I came to that fairly late, too) & I wish I was only 18 learning the things that I’m learning now - then I’d have time on my side and a chance to get half-decent!
I love it though & I love how I feel I can improve every time I ride. The more you ride, the more board control you have, even if you aren’t nailing new tricks.

Anyway thanks RJH & Mizu for the kudos! I don’t really think I’m a chance of winning but at least the comp was a catalyst for me to get off my butt & start editing the footage.

I should also point out, too, that in the shot from helipark shot from below of me coming down (which ends with me saying how beautiful it is). We were up the top of that & about to do our last run (both strapped in & fredrik literally turning around) when that whole face cracked away & avalanched! From about 1m below the top, to well past we’re we stopped there (about half way) everything went. So hectic. So scary. 5 secs earlier & we would have been in it & been in serious trouble.

We ended up getting choppered out to a different, much safer spot for the last, short run of the day. 2 guys in our group were caught in a sympathetic avalanche that went off at the same time on the other side of the mountain (one was buried up to his chest but both got themselves out). So funny that getting engaged was well behind the avalanche & riding in a chopper as the most exciting things that happened that day!

unfortunately I didn’t get any footage of the avalanche…I was to busy yelling out expletives & getting all shocked followed by scared. They said its the 2nd avalanche they’ve had in 5 years and the first to have anybody trapped in it. I’m pretty sure we’d both be dead if we were caught in it. So much snow & pretty steep….amazing to have come that close. What a day!

Thanks for the hosting help.

when do we find out who won?

haha I don’t think I’ve got any chance but I’m just curious!

It’d be different for high flyers like you though wink

I’m still waiting on a few emails from the judges, which probably won’t come through till tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, hang in there!  grrr

The jury is still out on this one… sorry about the delay.

I’ll pass on the whatever feedback they offer. smile

I don’t think I will list the full results but I will let you know who came second (and maybe third).  raspberry

Mizu Kuma - 30 August 2010 07:20 AM
rider26 - 30 August 2010 07:11 AM

(and maybe third).  raspberry

You sayin I came third!!!!!  tongue laugh

If the winners of 1st and 2nd get caught caught up in an shoppin mall disaster or somethin like that, do I win?????? (not that I wanna see anythin like that happen!!! The shoppin mall thing that is!!!)

hey Mizu….can you go buy me some milk and bread?....at the shoppin mall?

I’m staying away from thirroul shopping plaza for the next little while then! haha

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who got involved with this contest. We are committed to keeping this contest running every season, with bigger prize packs and more publicity. Please keep filming and being creative - I know I’m not the only person who has thoroughly enjoyed all the videos in this contest.

The short film contest was judged by a panel of industry judges - including website sponsors, snowboard store managers, and professional filmers.

I know you’re all very interested in knowing who won, so here it is…

The winning film is Plan B by dchild.

Plan B was a unanimous decision for first place from all the judges. 

Here is some of the feedback from the judges…

“Plan B is a well constructed short film. Its use of slow tracking dolly shots are creative and keep the audience entertained. Good continuity is shown with tight close ups and quick clip edits.”

“The filming was clear and the editing was on point.”

“Plan B because it’s creative and resoursful and is very proffessonal in its production value.”

“It is entertaining and engaging also with its music and story. It is a serious attempt to make a good film, specifically for the competition.”

Pirates, Steeze Warz, and NZ Snow Trip all received votes for second place. I would be more than happy to pass on feedback if you contact me.

Thank you and well done to all of the entrants of this contest. I hope to see you back for our next short film contest.

Congratulations to dchilds! grin Please get in touch with me to claim your prize pack - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Congrats dchild, sick little video.. kinda reminded me of the intro to all day every day by sandbox with the shot from above

kudos to all who put in entries grin

Thanks for the kind words guys, EXCITING TIMES

CONGRATS Dchild!!! well deserved!!! awsome work!