The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Which Small Video Camera?

So I know nothing about cameras except that I want to buy one.  I was hoping that perhaps a few knowledgeable people on here might be able to just mention a few models that I can go and research.

What i’m looking for is a small camera mostly for video.  If it does photos thats a bonus but i’m not fussed.  Another criterion is that it be pretty small so i can pop it in a pocket without people thinking i’ve got a strange growth.

My aims for this camera are to film with buddies in the park so we can quickly check it and see what we’re doing wrong as well as using it during snowboard lessons to show people on the chairlift back up.  So quality isn’t that much of a big deal but again if you get a lot better quality without spending that much more i’d be down.

Anyways as I say just drop a few names and i’ll do the leg work and check them out.

Cheers.

Hey Aidy,
I have been using the Sanyo Exacti CA9 this season. I bought it mainly for 4 reasons.
A) It’s a pistol Grip which is pretty good for filming while you ride.
B) It’s HD - not full HD but the quality is pretty good for the price
C) The price - It’s fairly cheap
D) It’s waterproof - again really good for filming while you ride.

It seems to be ok for what I need. The only thing I don’t like is that when you close the screen the camera goes on standby so you have to have the screen open.

You can view a sample vid in the Queenstown blog.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/807/

I was going to suggest the Sanyo also. Waterproof, small, HD (as mentioned not full HD, but you said that wasn’t a concern).

I’ve been using a Sony Handycam Full HD which I have been very happy with (even have a fisheye for it). It’s small, but not as small as you want (not a pocket camera). It’s also more pricey than the Sanyo.

http://www.sanyo.com.au/products/digital-cameras/digital-movie-cameras/vpc-ca9exbk

Full HD isn’t really something to consider unless you plan on burning to Blue Ray DVD or watching straight from the cam on a HD TV via HDMI connection.

If you use the vid to upload to, say Vimeo even in HD most viewers will watch it in SD (per below) as the time to upload will take too long and few monitors have above 1440 X 900 anyway.

The industry hasn’t set a good standard for HD (for a reason).

What size is full HD?
Australian Broadcast industry consider anything above PAL resolution (720X576) HD. The lowest in the world.
International Standard HDTV is 1280 X 720 (720p) or 1920 X 1080 (1080p)
Some manufacturers are now making massive monitors up to 5MP (3000 X 2000)

This is what I believe the order of what to consider.
The lens.
The image sensor.
Video format.
It’s tough/weather resistance.

^^^Hey Spaz

i wanted to hire 2 head cams off ya for three days, when im down the snow on the 15th just wanna know what im up for and if they are available????

Hey Chaps,

I’m sure I PM’d you.

The POV.1.5 is normally $99 for 24hrs (pick up any time return the end of the next day) for Boardworld members There’s always a discount - $99 will cover each cam for 3days so $198 for 2.

return same day of rental $65 (normal price)

I also deduct the cost of rental if you want to buy the cam.

The POV would be ideal for Aidy
6hr record, 10hr battery life, LCD playback and spazproof - higher rating than industry or childproof wink
It’s waterproof (not resistant) and shockproof. I tested it at 40’ drop (see avatar), hit trees, been run over in lift lines and used inside tuning machines.
But pricey at $795 RRP

The alternate is Drift Innovation X170 $249 it meets Aidys requirements including stills.
or soon to be released Drift HD170 (1080p) $499

No worries dude sounds good ill come in and see ya about it, ill hire 2 for sure see ya down there…

Thanks very much to everyone for their imput.  I’ll get checking out the options and the things that have been pointed out to look for.

pre release orders now being taken.

I’ve used the X170 (SD version) and it’s a very impressive cam for the price. The HD version is set to become the most popular HD headcam with features that surpass it’s competitors.

Boardworld members always get a discount from snocam.