The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Park Progression.

can you still get access to lessons? See if you can get a park lesson out of this skibum gig!

Some good feedback about freestyle technique already stated, so I’ll just say my favorite tool for when I was learning spinning and getting sideways on boxes and rails was a dance floor / butter box.
A large surfaced box that you can really get your whole board on. If there’s one round, use it! They’re great because you can’t really fall off them, which is often the most intimidating bit about boxes and rails. Just ride on and experiment with moving your board around underneath your body, then once you’ve found that balance you can start experimenting with spinning while on the box.

Cords: I’ll see if I can jump into another lesson, maybe a park workshop or a group lesson to get a different perspective for the blog since Ive only had private lessons so far.

Sam: Awesome! There is one in the Leichhardt park, it has a nasty landing but I will hit it up and start practicing on it. Cheers smile

I wouldn’t actually recommend that one as a starting point, as (when I was there on monday and tues this week, anyway) it had a gap onto it. Better off having something you can slide straight on to. I hate when they have really, really good beginner features like dance floors, that people of all levels can try out new things on, and they ruin it by making it harder than it needs to be.

and yeah, park workshop sounds good for sure. The one park lesson I’ve had (at snowpark last year) was really really good.

Oh really? Last time I hit it Im pretty sure it was ride on, they must have changed it. I was practicing board slides on wide dancefloor type boxes today and was lucky enough to be riding with a mate who has instructor training. He helped heaps. I kept clipping my heel edge and falling on my butt because I was leaning too far back. It was really helpful to get his tips.

Unfortunately I didnt get any of it on film and when he tried to take a photo of me I fell on my butt haha.

Oh well I’ll keep trying.

Bend your knees and reach out in front of you, like you’re trying to grab something half a metre in front of your knees. This will get your weight forward and stop you from sliding out.

* Assuming you’re doing a backside boardslide, i.e. sliding forwards / facing downhill.

AshStix - 24 August 2012 08:07 AM

Cords: I’ll see if I can jump into another lesson, maybe a park workshop or a group lesson to get a different perspective for the blog since Ive only had private lessons so far.

Sam: Awesome! There is one in the Leichhardt park, it has a nasty landing but I will hit it up and start practicing on it. Cheers smile

Hey AshStix
Glad you liked the boardslide tips.
If you want a park lesson I’m teaching almost everyday in Smiggins.
Park lessons are my favourite wink
Just come to Smigs and ask for Andy

just remember on boardslides of any type, you never catch your downhill or leading edge….never happens…be bold!

yeh, if you lean over enough to do that, your stuffed anyway LOL

Andy Aitken - 28 August 2012 07:01 AM

Hey AshStix
Glad you liked the boardslide tips.
If you want a park lesson I’m teaching almost everyday in Smiggins.
Park lessons are my favourite wink
Just come to Smigs and ask for Andy

Sounds good Andy! Do you know a Lindsay per chance? He was my snowboard instructor in 2008! Ive seen him on the hill instructing a couple of times this season, mainly taking kiddies through piper.

Aidy - 29 August 2012 06:04 AM

just remember on boardslides of any type, you never catch your downhill or leading edge….never happens…be bold!

And good tip about clipping the leading edge, now that Ive done it I realise that was a silly fear smile