The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

some ideas to get the new aussie season going?

tracvks - 30 June 2012 11:05 AM
CRACKERS - 30 June 2012 10:40 AM
tracvks - 29 June 2012 03:19 AM

this sounds awesome and although im a beginner in park and would be hesitant to submit along with really good riders.. as you have all been saying its good for progression to try new things and see how people are doing the same trick - talking about the issues etc.

can we list some tricks for this week/weekend for those that are interested?!

I dont think it matters that much how good you are….just try it and film it. if there is someone doing a Backside 3 over a 50ft or someone doing it over a lump on the side of a run….your still having a crack!

what level are you at?  any thoughts on tricks to start with?

True! I would say intermediate rider but beginner in the park.

Why dont we start with 1s or 3s? Im looking to try both off park booters (the 20ft ers in leichhardt) tomorrow - wish me luck!

Ill try get video so we have something to discuss even if it isnt contest etc.

sounds like a plan. someone that actually knows that they are talking about will be able to help you by looking at the footage….maybe one of the instructors on here.  maybe make it one trick until you get it down…say BS 180, then step it up to a BS360? or if you prefer the FS rotation just do it FS180 then step it up to FS360? i plan on working on these as well this season as I tend to flap my hands around a fair bit if i dont concentrate on it. so they seem like good ones to start with to me.

some more questions…...can you straight air a 20fter confidently every time? can you do in with say an indy grab?

can you do a 360 on the slope just riding along ( in the air not on the ground), can you do 180s on the slope confidently? its good to have FS and BS 180s plus Switch FS 1s down. Also can you do a 360 off a wall of snow built up on the side of a run? a ,mini step up jump thats formed naturally is one of the best places to practise 3s i reckon. Ill try and find a video of what i mean….

also maybe a smaller jump then 20ft would be best to learn them on? although you dont have much choice if there isnt any other jumps built…this is a vid of me and i think the very first jump is the perfect size to learn 3s on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxAIdYQDyM&feature=plcp

I couldnt find a vid showing a little side hit so i just made a super quick one to show you what i meant

CRACKERS - 30 June 2012 11:18 AM
tracvks - 30 June 2012 11:05 AM
CRACKERS - 30 June 2012 10:40 AM
tracvks - 29 June 2012 03:19 AM

this sounds awesome and although im a beginner in park and would be hesitant to submit along with really good riders.. as you have all been saying its good for progression to try new things and see how people are doing the same trick - talking about the issues etc.

can we list some tricks for this week/weekend for those that are interested?!

I dont think it matters that much how good you are….just try it and film it. if there is someone doing a Backside 3 over a 50ft or someone doing it over a lump on the side of a run….your still having a crack!

what level are you at?  any thoughts on tricks to start with?

True! I would say intermediate rider but beginner in the park.

Why dont we start with 1s or 3s? Im looking to try both off park booters (the 20ft ers in leichhardt) tomorrow - wish me luck!

Ill try get video so we have something to discuss even if it isnt contest etc.

sounds like a plan. someone that actually knows that they are talking about will be able to help you by looking at the footage….maybe one of the instructors on here.  maybe make it one trick until you get it down…say BS 180, then step it up to a BS360? or if you prefer the FS rotation just do it FS180 then step it up to FS360? i plan on working on these as well this season as I tend to flap my hands around a fair bit if i dont concentrate on it. so they seem like good ones to start with to me.

some more questions…...can you straight air a 20fter confidently every time? can you do in with say an indy grab?

can you do a 360 on the slope just riding along ( in the air not on the ground), can you do 180s on the slope confidently? its good to have FS and BS 180s plus Switch FS 1s down. Also can you do a 360 off a wall of snow built up on the side of a run? a ,mini step up jump thats formed naturally is one of the best places to practise 3s i reckon. Ill try and find a video of what i mean….

also maybe a smaller jump then 20ft would be best to learn them on? although you dont have much choice if there isnt any other jumps built…this is a vid of me and i think the very first jump is the perfect size to learn 3s on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxAIdYQDyM&feature=plcp

First off, i ride regular and i prefer to spin bs.

Okay so yesterday it was snowing all day (terrible visibility) so wasnt able to get any footage of the booters in leichhardt but I will try and explain what went down. I would have attempted a 3 approx ten times in total and the closest I got was landing a little tail heavy and washing out on my heel edge, but helped up with my back hand and rode away slow. Other attempts I didnt spin fast enough (about 270) and either ate it over my toe edge or washed out on heels. Honestly pretty happy with the effort and my confidence is high for my visit later this week where I will record it which may explain better. If anyone has any insight or advice id really appreciate it!

If anyone is in a heaps similar boat to me they should watch the snowboard addiction 360 tutorial video, I watched it a bunch of times and if you follow what he says to do with the setup turns you arent going to get yourself in to too much trouble. Although obvious, you wont get better if you dont try and practice so get it done! haha

As for your questions:
Im comfortable on 20ft booters but 30 and upwards gets pretty sketchy pretty quickly. Can indy, nose and shifty without much difficulty but that’s about where the trick book stops – going to change that this season wink

Nah, I cant 3 on the slope. I can front and back 1 no problem and im working on switch riding and switch 1s but not confident yet.

Totally agree with your video, perfect feature to learn spins on, ill keep an eye out for one!

For the purpose of this thread that I seem to have semi-hijacked ill try and get some footage of me trying a 1 later this week and post up with the 3 attempts.

tracvks - 02 July 2012 03:51 AM

First off, i ride regular and i prefer to spin bs.

Okay so yesterday it was snowing all day (terrible visibility) so wasnt able to get any footage of the booters in leichhardt but I will try and explain what went down. I would have attempted a 3 approx ten times in total and the closest I got was landing a little tail heavy and washing out on my heel edge, but helped up with my back hand and rode away slow. Other attempts I didnt spin fast enough (about 270) and either ate it over my toe edge or washed out on heels. Honestly pretty happy with the effort and my confidence is high for my visit later this week where I will record it which may explain better. If anyone has any insight or advice id really appreciate it!

Sounds like you’re not taking off centered and are leaning back too much. One reason can be that you’re looking with your head over your shoulders too much instead of initiating with your upper body.

Watch the videos and notice how they are above their board on take off, they start by turning their upper body first and then the lower body follows like a rubber band snapping back into shape under their upper body after the pop. Think of a borat style mankini, but it’s elastic, so when you spin that upper body, it’s going to want to snap back into place.

Start practicing that with 180s while traversing on the flat. When you’re stomping them without landing off balance, then move on to them off small hits, then go for the 3’s.

I would post a video but I only have gopro footage which isn’t great for getting perspective of tricks. Post what you have, even if it’s bad quality, we might be able to see enough for a general idea.

tracvks - 02 July 2012 03:51 AM

For the purpose of this thread that I seem to have semi-hijacked ill try and get some footage of me trying a 1 later this week and post up with the 3 attempts.

go for it!

Maybe SamNZ we can start up a thread for the game of Skate idea you had? Although I will be out fairly quick one the tricks get too hard. Also any tips for me on my spins? Ill try and get some more recent footage.

tracvks, which way were you trying to spin the 360s? How did the 180s go? Are you doing your 180s frontside, backside or both?

CRACKERS, Do you mean the video of those 180s? pretty solid, hard to tell in the second one if you’re slipping out because you’re trying to stop or because you’ve landed off balance. The first 180 is hard to see the landing.

The tricks don’t have to be progressively harder. They can just be whatever anyone wants to throw out there, and no need to be ‘out’, but just maybe you weren’t as good at that trick as someone else and you will do better at the next one. Or maybe it’s not a game of who is out first, but go gets to “KING” or “SNOW” first (i.e. winner gets a letter)

I haven’t found anyone else here yet willing to do follow cams, so I have footage of self shot POV on the gopro… reluctant to post most of it as you can’t easily see the movements made. I’m also not great with movie editing, just learning, so my 15 second videos are over 30mb ‘cause I have no idea how to compress them. First trick I have that can be seen semi-decent is a bs 180 bonk, anyone else wanting to play? I can post it to a new thread. Thoughts on each tricks time limit to post your video from first posters?

Dudes, check this out. Grab for Swag Contest 2012.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/6274/

SamNZ - 03 July 2012 07:12 AM

CRACKERS, Do you mean the video of those 180s? pretty solid, hard to tell in the second one if you’re slipping out because you’re trying to stop or because you’ve landed off balance. The first 180 is hard to see the landing.

The tricks don’t have to be progressively harder. They can just be whatever anyone wants to throw out there, and no need to be ‘out’, but just maybe you weren’t as good at that trick as someone else and you will do better at the next one. Or maybe it’s not a game of who is out first, but go gets to “KING” or “SNOW” first (i.e. winner gets a letter)

I haven’t found anyone else here yet willing to do follow cams, so I have footage of self shot POV on the gopro… reluctant to post most of it as you can’t easily see the movements made. I’m also not great with movie editing, just learning, so my 15 second videos are over 30mb ‘cause I have no idea how to compress them. First trick I have that can be seen semi-decent is a bs 180 bonk, anyone else wanting to play? I can post it to a new thread. Thoughts on each tricks time limit to post your video from first posters?

I will reply to this when I get home from the mountain….too hard on the phone!

Not sure if this will work as a mate uploaded it to facebook and it said that the privacy settings would still apply. This is me landing a sketch 3 (night before my car was broken into and my gear stolen…) on the first jump on front valley - ive landed a few similar looking ones in leichhardt but obviously they were spun a little faster. Any advice would be appreciated as im still a little uneasy in the air and my arms are moving around alot. Also for anyone who can advise on how to begin doing grab spins i would be interested as each time ive tried ive eaten shit - i think it could be cause when i go for the grab i dont continue to look over the shoulder to find the landing..

<object width=“720” height=“1280”><param name=“allowfullscreen” value=“true”></param></param><embed src=“http://www.facebook.com/v/10152083187185641” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“1” width=“720” height=“1280”></embed></object>

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152083187185641

Cheers

EDIT: ahh, dont know how to get the video working but will try get it off facebook later and update this post.