The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Purchasing gear for a newbie

So I’ve been asked numerous times over the years by newbie’s what gear to buy. We all know that a full set up when starting out is rather expensive however I’d like to hear your ideas on what is more important than the rest when starting to buy your kit.

Personally this is my list;

Gloves, Googles, Beanie & socks - cause hiring those things is just crap.
Boots
Jacket & pants - again, hire gear is generally crap but you can get away with it or some really cheap gear until your fully stoked.
Board & bindings - although it’s great to have your own gear and helps you progress heaps quicker it’s generally, I believe the last thing you really need.

Thoughts? Does your list look similar to this or what’s yours? I guess jacket & pants could probably swap with boots.

Interested in seeing what you guys think, I’ll be taking a newbie up with me this season and I’m sure I’ll be asked the question again.

Yeah that looks like a good order. Probably would generally swap boots with outerware.

My mates looking to get some gear. He’ll probably buy everything except boots and board/bindings.

i think ur order is quiet good, but Boots are also very important if i where you get the outwear + boots and you will not regret it .

Dan83 - 06 June 2012 11:34 AM

Yeah that looks like a good order. Probably would generally swap boots with outerware.

My mates looking to get some gear. He’ll probably buy everything except boots and board/bindings.

Sounds like your mate is buying all the ancillary equipment and not the essentials.
I would recommend the opposite (and just did that for a mate, bought his boards/boots/bindings and getting outerwear at a later date)

It’s his first time though. I figure hiring board etc a few times can’t hurt to get a better idea of what sort of rider you are and help narrow down the right gear. Plus the board/boots/bindings are the most expensive. Probably not a good idea to fork out so much before you’ve ever been snowboarding.

He seems pretty keen to get outerware though. I guess as long as you go a few times it’s worth the money vs hiring.

It really depends on whether the person is just beggining or is planning on doing it a long time.

For most levels, gloves and goggles are both things you need no matter what. Without them you’re going to either have a really bad day or have very sore eyes at the end of the day.

For someone planning on doing it a long time boots is a good logical step as it will cut costs later on and keep their feet happy. There’s no problem renting if they’re still unsure.

The pants and jacket are really eh. Assuming we are only counting proper ski pant etc. and not some $15 overtrou, because either way you need something water proof on your lower half otherwise you’ll get wet and saturated so overtrou or something at least does come before the boots. You’re not obliged to go out on a shitty day so a jacket is optional.

So I’d agree with the list, with the boots/pants swappable depending on what is previously stated.

Yeah I mean what about if he doesn’t like snowboarding!!!  big surprise Not really sure how that could be possible though.

But seriously, you don’t want to spend that much money before you have given it a go.

I did my first few seasons with the waterproof gear that I used when travelling, it was light weight and you could always put other layers underneath.  Gloves can be bought very cheaply as can goggles, think re-use it centre or something similar.  After that for me personally I just used rented stuff once and I knew within minutes i was going to spend a lot of time snowboard so I bought a decent setup…

ohhh i was referring to someone who is going ot be goingot the snow a fair bit i.e. done it once or twice before and loved it.

if its a complete noob then i agree.

Yeah totally ^

Tobi - 06 June 2012 11:24 AM

So I’ve been asked numerous times over the years by newbie’s what gear to buy. We all know that a full set up when starting out is rather expensive however I’d like to hear your ideas on what is more important than the rest when starting to buy your kit.

Personally this is my list;

Gloves, Googles, Beanie & socks - cause hiring those things is just crap.
Boots
Jacket & pants - again, hire gear is generally crap but you can get away with it or some really cheap gear until your fully stoked.
Board & bindings - although it’s great to have your own gear and helps you progress heaps quicker it’s generally, I believe the last thing you really need.

Thoughts? Does your list look similar to this or what’s yours? I guess jacket & pants could probably swap with boots.

Interested in seeing what you guys think, I’ll be taking a newbie up with me this season and I’m sure I’ll be asked the question again.

I pretty much agree with your list. I’d add a first layer top and bottom on the same line as gloves, goggles, beanie, socks. I know it seems like a lot to buy straight up, but no one said snowboarding was cheap.

Depending on when you go the the snow (spring for example) you might be able to get away with sunglasses as a beginner (first couple of days). You’re not travelling fast and you’re at the bottom of the mountain where it’s warm, so sunnies could work if you’re on a tight budget.

I like your list though. Sums it up nicely.

I’d say saving up enough for a snowboard video would be key, I watched brainstorm sooooo many times when i first got into snowboarding! and let’s not even mention the effect afterbang had….

rider26 - 07 June 2012 06:33 AM

I pretty much agree with your list. I’d add a first layer top and bottom on the same line as gloves, goggles, beanie, socks. I know it seems like a lot to buy straight up, but no one said snowboarding was cheap.

Thankfully for me I have a fair few friends who have been slack in the actually making it up the hill department lately so I gave one of them a call this morning and he’s lending me all of his gear minus boots (too small) for the weekend so I can kit the boy out.

shaka

He’s so far got a beanie and that’s it. I’ll be grabbing him a thermal & socks on Saturday before heading up the hill. Even though it’s going to be fairly decent weather this weekend he HATES the cold (hence this is the 1st season out of the 3 we’ve been dating he’s actually considering the snow).

Pity he’s not a girl, I’ve got enough gear to kit out 3 girls.  LOL