The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Visualisation

I’m like you Aidy. My last thought is definately one of relaxation. I try to be solid on my feet, but loose and relaxed at the same time. I don’t know if this is a good thing, but I tend to think if you are too scared/worried/tense, that’s when things usually go bad. I try to go to a happy place on the run-up, and tell myself words of encouragement to help my confidence. Generally I find this works.

By the sound of it though, we could both probably work on visualising better as Will described. Visualisation is more complicated than it sounds, it requires deep thought and concentration.

i know what you mean snowslider when you say its so easy to go off axis, I really worked on my backslide spins this spring and 180 where solid, 360s after a little while too, but fives i’d often give it a little too much huck and just loose it mid flight and land not quite straight. still spring being spring i thought i’d go for the sev and some of them i was so out of shape when i took off i went well off axis and didn’t have a clue where i was, still you’ve gotta love spring hey!!!

I just wish i had more opportinity on a good day, with good friends and enough guts to do it on that type of a day.
Usually those are the days it is snowing and the snow is soft, and who wants to be in the park when there are freshies?!

snowslider - 23 June 2009 04:29 PM

I just wish i had more opportinity on a good day, with good friends and enough guts to do it on that type of a day.
Usually those are the days it is snowing and the snow is soft, and who wants to be in the park when there are freshies?!

everyone talks about park or not park, snowboarding is rad everywhere, take your spins to every spot on the mountain and go ride the pow in the park, you’ll prob be surprised about how good the snow is in there.
As for the spins I think a good thing to do is imagine the jump like a trampoline, on trampoline you want to aim your center of mass straight up from the center spot. So your body spins up like a pencil or a spiral for a cork. Don’t think about moving forwards towards the landing as that throws your weight off. Once you have the speed figured out by doing tons of straight airs you can focus on your carve in and then effectively the force of the jump will be throwing you straight up and down on a vertical access and your horizontal momentum will remain almost constant.

will_melbourne - 24 June 2009 07:02 AM
snowslider - 23 June 2009 04:29 PM

everyone talks about park or not park, snowboarding is rad everywhere, take your spins to every spot on the mountain and go ride the pow in the park, you’ll prob be surprised about how good the snow is in there.
As for the spins I think a good thing to do is imagine the jump like a trampoline, on trampoline you want to aim your center of mass straight up from the center spot. So your body spins up like a pencil or a spiral for a cork. Don’t think about moving forwards towards the landing as that throws your weight off. Once you have the speed figured out by doing tons of straight airs you can focus on your carve in and then effectively the force of the jump will be throwing you straight up and down on a vertical access and your horizontal momentum will remain almost constant.

The trampoline element is a good one, I can appreciate that, thanks.
The park is usually a good place to catch some pow on a nice day when things are getting tracked up.

I enjoy taking spins to the mountain and not just in the park. some of my first 3s were on small drops and not on little tables.
freestyle should be all over the mountain not just in the park.

snowslider - 24 June 2009 11:40 AM

freestyle should be all over the mountain not just in the park.

My belief as well…..especially on a powder day.

Sometimes the lineups to hit a park feature are waaaay too long..I paid good money for my ticket so I want maximum ride time….No parks for me..

Yeah getting back to visualization; I wanted to point out that when you love snowboarding so much that it becomes an addiction, you are constantly thinking about riding when you’re not even on the hill. You’re stoked watching a vid, daydreaming at school/work, or even imagining your next trick while riding up the lift. These are all amazing times to be progressing your riding and you aren’t even shredding!

This is how I see it for a kicker in the park for example - close your eyes and feel the bend in your knees, approach the feature as though you are stationary and the feature is moving toward you, as you hit the pocket, your legs absorb your speed all the way to full bend and push off the kicker like its a pinball spring or a sling shot release. keep repeating this motion in your mind over and over and when you are back on the hill next you will be able to hit any kicker in the park at any speed because you are prepared for the target coming toward you. (though maybe not with your eyes closed wink

I’ve always struggled with the concept of muscle memory, but I see where it applies here.

I think that what we are discussing in terms of visualization is easliy transferred to muscle memory.
When you perform something, a trick or a certain turn and you perform it correctly, your body knows it and when you visualize it you recall what it FELT like… snowboarding and skiing too, is a SENSATION sport. When you are visualizing something… internally visualizing it, you are thinking not only about the motions, but also about how it feels. Once having performed the task correctly, you recall how it FELT, you try to receate that feeling again when performing the task, or doing the trick.
This is internal visualization and applying the sensation of the task to learning.
As Nev said, this can be done at home in the summer or on the chair lift in between runs. Advancing your snowboarding while not snowboarding - a beautiful idea! thanks Nev!

Top thread guys, some great insights!!

word, I enjoyed reading this thread.

Nev. - 30 June 2009 03:58 AM

Yeah getting back to visualization; I wanted to point out that when you love snowboarding so much that it becomes an addiction, you are constantly thinking about riding when you’re not even on the hill. You’re stoked watching a vid, daydreaming at school/work, or even imagining your next trick while riding up the lift. These are all amazing times to be progressing your riding and you aren’t even shredding!

This is how I see it for a kicker in the park for example - close your eyes and feel the bend in your knees, approach the feature as though you are stationary and the feature is moving toward you, as you hit the pocket, your legs absorb your speed all the way to full bend and push off the kicker like its a pinball spring or a sling shot release. keep repeating this motion in your mind over and over and when you are back on the hill next you will be able to hit any kicker in the park at any speed because you are prepared for the target coming toward you. (though maybe not with your eyes closed wink

well said Nev, this is a similar way to explaining what I was trying to explain when I was talking about visualizing the jump as a trampoline. Imagining you are still and the jump is coming towards you is great, then you just have to think about projecting your center of mass straight up and down, as the momentum you have will get you across the gap, not leaning forwards trying to reach the landing or anything weird natural instincts.

Visualizing this motion over and over again, especially the timing of when you start to pop and when you throw the spin is invaluable.

This thread is really insightful and helpful!! love it.

I find there are a few different types of visualization, the first one being observation which is obviously observing someone else perform something like a trick… the second form of visualization is imagining the trick or actions as a whole including your environment and the things around you such as the people, jumps ect.. the third type of visualization is imagining the trick or movement as how you would perform it, cutting it down to each motor movement and only focusing on yourself performing the movement/trick. Visualization is a really good form of mental preparation when performing tricks ect. and it also helps motivate and keep a positive mindset. so really its quite important if you want to progress not just in snowboarding but in anything.

Great thread!

Visualisation is a big part of many things I do. Sports in particular.

I think it’s going to be important for me with snowboarding especially. Last season was my very first, and I only got a very small amount of boarding in, so there are many things I didn’t get the chance to really work on before the season was over. I left the mountain last year at a point where I felt I was almost there with a few things, and almost ready to go the the next level, but really needed more time to nail them.

I’ve spent pretty much the whole summer obsessing over it and visualising what I think I need to do. I know that when I hit the slopes this year, I know what I’m going to do and I know what I’m going to work on. I’ve pictured these things in my head all summer, and I know that this visualisation is going to play a big part in my progression.

I just hope I’ve been “using the right technique” in my head!  LOL

I’d hate to get there and think that I’ve been thinking about it all wrong.  :p

When I visualize something I’m trying to do, I’m like. an amazing snowboarder - but then I try it and cant do it.

Hey snowslider your comment reminded me of something.  Not strictly about visualisation but has anyone else had the infinite park dream?  Mine mostly involve a never ending kicker line but slopestyle would be dope or pipe!