The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

listening to music while riding

With all the helmet and audio talk, I wonder how many mountains have rules about listening to music on the hill?
I’d think the day will come if not yet, that music and headphones while riding will be outlawed for safety reasons.
It only takes a skier or rider with headphones to die on the hill and it will happen.

When I’ve listened to music I’ve thought about the safety aspect of it a lot.
Odd though, I was reading something recently about how HUGE the company Skullcandy has grown in the past season - just selling headphones, who would have thought that?

IU generally use bud earphones while riding, and i keep one out so i can still hear whats going on around me.

Safety’s no joke kiddies wink

I love riding to music, but it’s usually something I only do when I’m alone. I find it hard talking to people with music playing… it annoys me when others do it, so I dont. When I listen to music I use my Audex beanie which is just awesome.

I have never known of any mountain to have a no music policy… they would probably lose a lot of business.

it would also be pretty hard to enforce a no music policy

i do the old one earphone technique…works well…music and can hear everything around me

cmat - 17 June 2009 03:49 AM

i do the old one earphone technique…works well…music and can hear everything around me

werd..I`ve used that method…Two in on the chairlift..one in on the hill…...
I really really like to hear what`s sneaking up on me…

riding to tunes is great fun….before i got a helmet with audio, i tried riding with a wind up (dynamo) fm radio at blue cow one year…needless to say i got some mad stares, riding with the aerial up and no headphones either…just a speaker, could only get snowFM so that kinda sucked.
i have a full playlist rotation for different riding too…a park playlist, a night pow playlist etc….. i love it!

Yeah tuff question tho ain’t it…do you stay safe and leave the ear goggles at the chalet, or rock em and get carried away ripping to metallica, only to find yourself getting nuked by an out of control learner who’s been screaming at you to get out the way as they fly down the hill ass-first at you?  I stick on the side of caution and keep my volume on the down low, unless I’m sure there’s no one else around - ie riding pow in the morning with just your buddies and a clear line of sight all around you…

The only time I don’t listen to music is when I’m teaching a lesson. Music helps me concentrate on the important things.

its funny cause there is always warnings about listening to music when riding a bike but other sports dont have that same warning i think the fact that it is becoming more popular is going to be an issue cause people will use a helmet and think they are safe but wont know who else has an audio kit on when they need to warn someone else with a helmet then BANG both going down in a bucket.

Good to see you on here C.J. You need to work on your punctuation. haha wink

I only listen to music when I’m riding alone, I find it frustrating to get the volume just right and not having the ear buds fall out, or trying to change the song while your going down the hill..
I get really annoyed if I’m riding with friends and they are listening to music and you always have to repeat what you say so that they can hear you. I also think it’s not that safe with music because you can’t hear what going on around you!

we use visual indicators to let someone know to turn it down!
most of the audio helmets have a quick mute button…which really works, at least mine does anyway

Just Giver - 17 June 2009 07:07 PM

I only listen to music when I’m riding alone, I find it frustrating to get the volume just right and not having the ear buds fall out, or trying to change the song while your going down the hill..
I get really annoyed if I’m riding with friends and they are listening to music and you always have to repeat what you say so that they can hear you. I also think it’s not that safe with music because you can’t hear what going on around you!

These are the problems I have.
I use the typical iPod ear phones and they always fall out - then the volume’s not ‘just right’. it’s always something.

snowslider - 17 June 2009 09:48 PM

I use the typical iPod ear phones and they always fall out - then the volume’s not ‘just right’. it’s always something.

Ya i’ve pretty much given up on the whole music thing while riding

Trust me, it’s all about the Audex beanie. Great quality sound, sits perfectly on your ears, the cable has a volume control and mute button. Just awesome.

rider26 - 18 June 2009 03:18 AM

Trust me, it’s all about the Audex beanie. Great quality sound, sits perfectly on your ears, the cable has a volume control and mute button. Just awesome.

How does the helmet work with the Audex beanie?
I dont think it does, does it?