The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Quick Camping Trip

As a newly single man I have been taking the opportunity to do the things that I’ve been wanting to do for a while and this weekend was no exception.  After a horribly misguided and failed attempt at a solo camping trip over the Aus Day long weekend that involved wild winds, torrential rain and packing up before I even really arrived I decided to have another crack this weekend. 

This time a mate was keen to come so I organised a meeting in Newcastle for Friday to get a head start and he headed up from the Central Coast where he lives.  I got there a bit ahead of him and drove up the beach to check out where we might be able to camp, strictly speaking you’re not supposed to but we met a salty old fisherman who said basically it wasn’t condoned but if you weren’t being a f**kwit you could generally getaway with it.  I saw a great spot to camp but was a little concerned about it being to open, I checked around for other spots but had to head back to meet my mate at the beach entry before I really found what I was looking for.

When we got back to the end of the beach we basically decided to camp where I first looked and in hingsight was pretty stoked that we did.

Camp site

Photobucket

There were waves right out the front that were pretty damn good as well
Photobucket

I had been a little concerned about the rain after the previous experience and set a tarp up but needn’t have bothered.
Photobucket

We had quite a few beers that night watching and mindsurfing the sets we could see in the dark and talking shit like guys do on these trips.  Turns out that I am actually Godfather to my mates 3 month old son, he had mentioned something about it drunk when before he was born but I hadn’t given it much credence at the time, but I pleasantly shocked and surprised when he confirmed it this weekend ha ha!

When we woke up in the morning the surf was still good but paddling out was kinda a little freaky, it always is somewhere new when there is no one for miles around the bottom is a mix of reef andsand so lots of shadows and it’s actually a longer paddle then it looks.  We only surfed for about an hour, my mate went in on one and the very next wave there was two large grey bullets speeding towards me, took about 2 seconds to recognise they were dolphins but they were a very scary and pants ruining inducing two seconds, I turned and took the next one in ha ha.  We had brekky of lamb chops (don’t ask) and bacon egg rolls and went for a walk to wait for the tide to go down, nice spot too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our next surf was way easier, the tide had dropped and the sun was high in the sky, we surfed for a couple of hours in fun 2-3 ft empty waves and after headed home stoked with a new spot, don’t ask where it is as I won’t tell you ha ha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nice TR mate smile looks like it was heaps chilled and good fun!

Yeah thanks for sharing mate. Looks like heaps of fun.

Million dollar view. Sounds like a winner of a weekend, and by the looks of the weather forecasts for the remainder of the month you picked the perfect weekend to go.

Cheers guys, was awesome, so much so I am watching the forecast pretty carefully to see if it’s worth sneaking up there for another night on Friday!

Nice stuff, nthn!!!!!

Sorry to hear about ya split!!!!! Hope it was amicable!!!!!

Sooo, where exactly was that spot again?????  cool hmm

That is awesome! What a spot! I would love to do something like that one day. There’s no reason not to. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mizu cheers mate, yeah the split has been about as amicable as is possible, I think we are both happier for it.  Actually I’m happier for it, not too sure about the ex, rightly or wrongly I’m one of those who prefers to cut all contact unless absolutely necessary, is hard after 4 years but from my experience it’s the best way to do it.

As far as where it is, it’s a spot that easily achievable from my place in a little over 2.5hrs give or take depending on the if it’s high or low tide as the 10km beach drive is way quicker at low tide on the hard pack sand. 

Rider this is something I want to do at every opportunity given my new found freedom!

Awesome pics mate. It looks beautiful there!

Good to hear it was a bipartisan agreement, mate!!!!!

And I do have the same belief in cuttin all ties as well!!!!! After all, if there is no kids involved, why try to keep a friendship goin on when it has obviously ended with a separation in the first place!!!!! Plus the fact that it would only cause friction in ya future relationships down the line too!!!!!