The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

I skate-pushed mongo and am a better snowboarder because of it..

Beautiful story, Shredlife.
How about a new topic in ‘rider progression’ about Mongo and how to beat it!
You’re probably quite qualified for that and I’d like to be a part of such a discussion.
I dont really have any ideas on how to conquer that, I’ve just forced kids to do it right. I use the expression:
“It’s really hard to look cool when skating, but everyone has to learn it.”

So yeah. Title says it all. I’m that hobo on hastings skating for his next fix. I’m that 40 year old trying to get into skating because its the only way he can identify w/ his son or daughter, not cus he wants to actually skate. I’m that guy who says he skates but then pushes away and cant even ollie…

or at least I used to be. Here’s why it’s made me a better snowboarder , and how to beat it (or just simply never start)

———————————————————————-

Defined: for those of you who don’t know, pushing mongo is when you use your front foot to push your skateboard, while the back remains safely nestled between the concave and tail. It looks ugly, makes you wait eons to set your feet up for ollies etc, and gets you no respect - anywhere.

Pushing mongo is easier off the bat, it seems comfortable, but case and point - you’re taking the easy way out of learning to skateboard. In the long run it will sabotage your progression..

BUT- lets assume youve already learned to setup for a decent ollie, you enjoy skating and its a big part of your daily transport.. lets get your legs switched up and those ladies/gents turning their heads when you pass to look, not to turn to their friends to snicker about your steezless self.

1. start pushing regular, plain and simple . theres no drill, no excercise, just try it a couple of times. ... k, done? it sucked didnt it? felt like learning to skate again? ohhhh darn. long road ahead… not!
2. Once youve felt how rediculous regular pushing seems, start throwing in a regular push from the get go, as in instead of running Mongo with your board on your right (for regular skaters) leg and throwing it down, get the co-ordination of throwing your skate down Regular ; next to your right leg.

chances are you just stumbled around dropping your board, but at least got one or two regular pushes after successfully stepping on the board.. now the pushing part seems easy, beacuse running in with the board is maddd dhard! keep practicing running into regular and the intial push will seem super simple

3. Get the run in down, and start finishing your “3 push to keep me moving” that everyone does with 2 mongo pushes. comfy? alright lets get you out of the comfort element.

4. work up to running in with the board regular, then eliminate your mongo pushes at higher speeds. start in slow, one or two pumps and let it ride, then start really reefing into those new found regular pumps, getting the board to run faster and faster.

Pay close attention at this point to how your board is responding under your ankle. you should feel comfortable enough now to make minor steering adjustments in your ankle / toe flex, as well start playing around with where your land your foot on your tail (bolts, on the kick, in the scoop) after your pushes.

5. Finally work up to that 3 push that makes us all so quick on those 4 wheels. Im not saying the 3 push will come easily, and varied terrain (cobblestone, gravel etc) will make you more uneasy, like wen you originally learned to skate. As such, take it easy but get going ASAP on taking this terrlble habit out your skating.

edit: The reason I believe this step by step works well because it forces the rider to not get used to regular pushes at speeds, but takes them right from throwing the board down, all the way up to a full speed 3 push progression. Its important to get used to pushing either mongo or reg (what ever is unfamiliar to you) at lower speeds first, allowing your feeet/ankles to get used to steering with a new foot!

WHY THIS HAS MADE ME A BETTER RIDER

Pushing mongo allows strong development of the riders front AND back leg. That thigh burn you get when you push across town to that party? yeah, I get it in both legs now, sucka. That being said , I try to only push mongo when on long stretches, longggg into a skate session or riding fakie. Although it looks rediculous, for those skaters looking to beef up their legs during the summer ,mongo to regular is a greattt challenge over long distances to make your riding better.

brap. long post. ch.

I have never had mongo issues. But whoever wrote this is awesome. I was cracking up and it had a point. I still push mongo fakie thats just how it is non of this new switch pushing.

nice work!

Real good step by step!

I only use mongo so to get fakie on the board. But will start to play around the different pushing stances

I push mongo on the skateboard but regular on the snowboard… weird huh…

Should take some time and learn me how to skate normal lol.