The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Stomp Pads

I bought a snowboard last year and never actually got to use it (which sucks) until just last week.  I went to Sugar Mountain in NC in preparation for Winter Park Colorado, which is going to be amazing.  One thing about Sugar is that all of the lift ramps are very steep.  Most snowboarders bust their ass getting off the lift, myself included.

Most of the rentals I have had in the past had a stomp pad, and I think it would be good for me to get one of my board.  Its really hard for me to keep my back foot on the board when there is a bunch of snow on it.  Looking online i see that they come in all shapes and sizes.  Is there an ideal shape and size or is it all pretty much the same?  I have seen some that cover enough space for my entire boot and some that are just tiny little nubs. 

Any recommendations?

I find stomp pads like the Burton Medium Spike Mat work best.

The have metal spikes for grip and a rubber blade in the middle for kicking snow and ice off your boots.

At the end of the day, a stomp pad is meant to be functional. Medium to large with a grippy surface is going to work best.

The nipples (little individual metal spikes) might look nice but they don’t work as well in my opinion.

Not all stomp pads were created equally. In fact some just downright suck.
The one that Rider says above is really good.
Also if you have a really good looking board and you don’t want to cover the graphics too much, u could try some spikes. They are like the pointy bits in the picture above but they are all seperate. This is also good because you can put them in a pattern that matches your boot… or just in a stupid smiley face or something smile

There are two kinds of spikes, round spikes and pyramid spikes. The round ones work great the pyramid type are not very good.

Happy Downramping wink

The pyramid ones look the best though wink

skip11 - 18 December 2011 06:00 PM

http://www.crabgrab.com

They look cool, skip!!!!! You tested them?????

rider26 - 18 December 2011 04:55 AM

The nipples look nice

Indeed. smirk

hehe wink

I have the individual ones on all of my boards. They work well.

Though my CS Octorocker has the Matte top sheet which works even better. Can’t wait to ride that crazy board again!

I got one of these little rippers a few years back. Its a tool box and stomp pad in one!!. The screw driver has saved mine and my friends bacon a couple of times up on the hill when shit has become loose.

If you want to buy the one rider suggested I noticed it on T7 http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/BUS3BN1MS/title/burton-medium-spike-mat-2011 $17 . . .

Join T7 email list and get $10 off (i think) . . .

so there is

however….
*Voucher valid for new newsletter sign ups only. Order total must be greater than $50 for voucher to work.

@Mizu: Not yet, just ordered it.

humdingaling - 19 December 2011 06:39 AM

so there is

however….
*Voucher valid for new newsletter sign ups only. Order total must be greater than $50 for voucher to work.

Spewing unless you order other things . . .