The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

where when and how long?

i live in melbourne, where should i go?, how long should i go for? and when is the best time to go?
and by the way.. i havnt snowboarded before either soo yeah..

Mount Buller is the closest to Melbourne, about three hours I believe. Check: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snow/content/category/mt-buller/

I have been to Falls Creek and Mt Hotham in Victoria, both really nice mountains.

July and August is peak season. Generally your best bet is mid July to mid August. Go for as long as you can!  tongue wink

Check out out Rider Progression online lessons. We teach from the very basics to get you riding quicker and with correct technique.

Start here and work your way down the list: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snow/content/category/balanced-body-position/

Welcome to Boardworld! If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

My season on the east coat of North America is OVER!
But I’m only an hour from the dry slope the built last summer, so I’m not done! I’ll try and go about once a month or so. Anyone is invited to go with me if you find yourself in Virginia!!!
:0

hey, im from sydney, and started off 4 years ago at perisher.. and it was awesome.. nice and easy to start off. THe best time of season id say last weekend of july through till end of august, straight after school holdiays finish, this way there will be much less people and snwo is just great. on the other hand even though i havent been to it but mt Buller is awesome.. start it off with probably a weekend..just to see if you like it or not but latter on youll be taking off week at the snow

Even though I work at Hotham, I say go to Falls. It has a lot more beginner friendly terrain.
Of course you’re welcome to Hotham, but you’ll probably heel edge side slip a lot of the mountain. Still fun in the first days until your quads ache like mad.
My first days were at Buller, shitty icy, Bourke St but at least they now have a sweet chair. Just don’t try and a get a smile out of the lifties.

Go for as long as you can afford, avoid weekend crowds and you should have a ball!!

My first time was at Buller many years ago. Absolutley loved it. Yet im biased cause i havent been to hotham or falls. maybe ill jump over for a week when im off work. I thought it was fairly friendly, very relaxed and great for beginners. Either way I’m sure you’ll end up an addict like the rest of us   : P
Enjoy bud.