The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Getting snowboard to Canada??

What’s the best method of getting your snow gear to Canada??

Now here’s my scenario, which is prob different from the norm Aus to Canada trip… I fly out soon to Asia and then on to Europe where I’ll be staying with relatives. From there on I go to Seattle and then over the border and up to Whistler. At Whistler I’ll need to find work and accommodation.

Options as far as I can tell are:

1. Get family to send my gear via air once I have a place to live in Canada.
Pros - gets there quick.
Cons - expensive.

BTW Anyone know what cost you’d be looking at to send by air from Aus to Can??

2. Send by boat to rellies in Europe and then take on plane to US.
Pros - may be cheaper than sending by air straight to Can.
Cons - may be some hefty charges on the flight to US cause of extra baggage. Would have to lug it for up to a week around seattle before going to Canada.

3. Get family to send by boat once I have a place to live in Canada.
Pros - cheaper option.
Cons - I think it might take awhile (maybe up to three months?) so would be in the snow without gear, lame

4. Buy all new gear
Cons - way too expensive!

So there’s my dilemma. Have others faced this problem? What would be the most cost effective way without being too much of a pain?

Cheers!

What gear are we talking about exactly? Everything?

If I was in your situation, I would probably take all the soft goods with me or have them sent over. I would buy snowboard, boots, and bindings over there.

I don’t know the exact figures but it’s really expensive to send large/heavy items over there (not sure about boat - that might be a good way to go).

Still, for what it’s likely to cost you for shipping and insurance on the gear, you’re probably best off buying the heavy stuff over there. If you get there early enough, they will have a lot of 2010 gear selling for close to half price. Get in early and grab a bargain.

I know you’re planning on doing a season, and trust me after a full season all your gear gets destroyed. If you are going to be snowboarding a lot over the next few years, all your gear will get used anyway. It sucks to spend extra money, but in reality it’s probably your best option.

Ok cool, thanks Jeremy. That’s good advice. It feels a shame to leave my board, boots and bindings… They’ve only been used 9 days. But like you say, the gear I buy over there will likely be thrashed by seasons end and then I can come back to my old gear.

Yeah in terms of gear it was going to be the lot. So soft goods, thats all your outerware, gloves etc I take it? What do you normally do when you head to Canada? Do you take everything with you on the flight or do you buy your heavy gear over there each year? And when you head back to Aus do you bring it with you or leave it in Canada?

Thanks smile

I take everything with me. Usually you can push your baggage allowance to the limit. You can check in two bags, one as luggage and one as sporting goods. The legal limit is 32kg for each bag, although that could have changed (best to check with your airline). Last time I went I took three boards, two sets of bindings, and boots, and all my gear, and still I was just under the legal limit. I have travelled overseas numerous times and only once did they charge me an excess of $100 in total.

Usually when I come back I bring most my stuff. Sometimes I leave a snowboard over there, which I know I won’t need in Australia (like a Fish or rock board). This time I left a board, all my bedding, towels, pillows etc… at my girlfriend’s place. But I guess that all depends if you have someone to leave it with and if you plan on returning.

If you are only travelling from A to B, it’s usually not too hard to take everything with you. Since you are travelling in between, I can see your dilemma.

And yes, soft goods are thermals, outerwear, gloves etc…

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Two bags at 32kg, thats bloody heavy!! I’m surprised you havent been charged more, isnt it usually any weight above 20kg you have to pay like $20 per kilo? Haha, based on that calc, if you carried 64 kg total, you’d pay an extra $880!!

Thanks for the tips dude.

um Qantas has changed their ‘sporting goods’ policy. you have to pay for it now so its gone all to shit but im sure jetstar still has the sporting goods thing going on but if you are heading through the states you can bring 2 bags both at 32kg but on most trips i believe its only 1 bag but yeah check through your airline its all on there smile

32kg is the legal limit due to occupational health hazards for luggage handlers. However airline limits, or the point where they start charging is different. Each airline has their own rules. Always check with your airline first so you know what you’re up for. At 32kg they have tried to charge me a few times but I have talked my way out of paying. Last year I had 32kg in each bag, only got charged $50 excess per bag, and only on the way there, not on the way back. Some airline workers at the counter are real nice and just put it through. Keep a smile on your face, be real nice, unless you get unlucky you should be fine.

I’m not sure if there are many airlines that actually let you take 32kg as standard any more, but as J said, check with your airline.

Another option that I’ve heard of is ‘unaccompanied luggage’. Rather than shipping by regular air, you take it to the airport and arrange with an airline to send it. Apparently it’s a compromise in cost between shipping it regular air/surface. Not sure of the details, but a mate did it from Aussie to Japan. Might be worth a look.

Thanks for the advice guys

Hey Dan,

One option is organising your accomm in advance then you can get your folks to ship it well before the season starts and you don’t have to worry about not getting your board before the season starts.. ahem plug http://www.rideonwhistler.com

Or contact these guys and see if they will hold your parcel until you arrive and collect for a fee they deal with lots of seasonaire shipping stuff and are prety helpful

http://www.worldcargovancouver.com/index.html

Hopw that helps

Dan83 - 17 March 2010 07:38 AM

What’s the best method of getting your snow gear to Canada??

Now here’s my scenario, which is prob different from the norm Aus to Canada trip… I fly out soon to Asia and then on to Europe where I’ll be staying with relatives. From there on I go to Seattle and then over the border and up to Whistler. At Whistler I’ll need to find work and accommodation.

Options as far as I can tell are:

1. Get family to send my gear via air once I have a place to live in Canada.
Pros - gets there quick.
Cons - expensive.

BTW Anyone know what cost you’d be looking at to send by air from Aus to Can??

2. Send by boat to rellies in Europe and then take on plane to US.
Pros - may be cheaper than sending by air straight to Can.
Cons - may be some hefty charges on the flight to US cause of extra baggage. Would have to lug it for up to a week around seattle before going to Canada.

3. Get family to send by boat once I have a place to live in Canada.
Pros - cheaper option.
Cons - I think it might take awhile (maybe up to three months?) so would be in the snow without gear, lame

4. Buy all new gear
Cons - way too expensive!

So there’s my dilemma. Have others faced this problem? What would be the most cost effective way without being too much of a pain?

Cheers!

Hi Dan- depending on how much is envolved really.  This Feb I travelled Aus To Tahoe, my only luggage my board bag, everything stuffed in my weight was 22kilos.  But then I was only carrying basics and enough clothes to last a week. One airport was really picky about the weight limit, i just lifted my bag a tiny bit with my toe grin  I’ve heard its possible to get a deal with boat shipping but it takes ages, by airmail weight really kills you, I’ve had boards shipped from MI in the states pretty cheap, but for the decks only- size factor isn’t too bad as long as the weight isn’t much.  I agree with Rider26 you can find deals buying hard goods there, you just might have to take what you can get, and you can always sell it cheap before you return.  Or get a deal on renting depending on the job you get with the resort. Godd Luck Mate!!

Same Q, but for NZ.

I’ll be there for 5 weeks and have accomodation sorted already. One of my friends suggested just stuffing everything into my board bag??? I don’t know what the size limits for bags are on QANTArse, the website is pretty vague about the subject. I’ve put in a special request to say I’m taking a snowboard bag (they have a tick a box option for it) but I have no idea what that entitles me too. I’ll probably give them a call to try and find out as soon as possible.

Also, I have to go Perth-Sydney-Queenstown, so I’m limited by the domestic regulations as well, instead of just the standard international ones.

Thoughts?

Thanks for tips guys, but I’ve already left Aus and am now in Asia. What I ended up doing was prepping everything (except the board) to be sent via AUS post once I’ve got accomm in Canada sorted (hopefully in Whistler). Cant remember the exact price. It was heaps though maybe $230… In the box are my pants, jacket, goggles, gloves, boots, bindings and girlfriends pants and jacket. I hear buying gear in Canada is heaps cheaper anyway.

Ride on, your site looks interesting, will check it out in more detail a bit later once I get the chance. Just quickly, do you have prices for your accomm on the site??

Cheers!