The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best Snowboard Related Item You Have Ever Bought

Maybe this topic has already been covered elsewhere but I was thinking that I’ve got probably all of the shredding gear I need but as we get closer to Post Winter Sales season here in Oz and discounts, I was wonderingg what could I buy that will really make a difference to my riding/safety/etc. In other words, what is the one thing that has made a significant difference to your shredding experience? Is it a particular type of boot, goggle, compression thermals, protective equipment, board, etc? Broad topic, but looking to filter where I will spend my cash. Thanks in advance.

Upper body armor and helmet. I now have more confidence to hit the big kickers. I’m a pussy though hehe smile

Is there an area of your boarding that’s holding you back? When I had feet pains I invested in better boots and custom insoles. It made a world of difference to my riding and comfort.

I don’t know if it’s one thing, but there are a few that stood out.

Merino thermals/gloves/socks - warm and (mostly) stink free, meaning you can take/wash less on shred trips

Burton Ions - I’m not so much promoting the boot as promoting that I’ve finally found a boot that does everything I want it to. My 32 TM-twos were almost perfect, other than it was a fight to get them on/off. Perfect once you were in them though!

Functional outerwear - I don’t buy anything less than 10k waterproofing. You can ride pretty much anywhere with that. Couple it with good base layers and you’re golden. Removable pow skirts are rad, vents are a must-have.

I guess as a general comment, I think you’ll benefit by being a little bit critical of what you ‘need’ and picking up higher quality stuff but less often. i.e. good outerwear/boots/thermals will do multiple seasons instead of having to update shit stuff every year or so. It takes time to know what you want, but forums like this can narrow down the huge range of stuff that’s out there.

I find it funny that Enn Zed mentions socks, and mentions them first.
I have always thought that 2 things really helped my riding.
The comfort I got with good socks. I used Burton socks… and then when I cranked up my forward lean as much as I could tolerate and was riding a set up that was more responsive I learned a lot about technique and body movements that effect the board, etc.

Good topic, I look forward to what others say.

Facemask and helmet.
Saved me many headaches and windburn on my face. Saves putting on sunscreen or chapstick too

I buy top-end stuff, and keep it for many years.

So I’m currently quite happy with my new Burton AK jacket, the 2007-2008 model that I bought for a deep discount in September 2008. Also my current AK pants, which I bought in 2007 also on discount. Burton whore!!! But I own pretty much one pair of pants, maybe two jackets that I regularly use, so my snowboard purchases are actually fairly minimal.

My old Dakine board bag, which lasted me from 2000-2007.

My current, now very worn out Patagucci thermal top.

Boots- well I never quite have good luck with my boots. Although, my 32’s are reasonable, 2007-08 Lashed that came from a sample sale. On the cusp of being too small, though. . .

tks…could be the boots…i committed rookie error # 4958 and bought boots that were too big (despite advice to the contrary)...this could be making me have less control of my board…

went long the helmet last trip to the snow as i literally saw my kids’ faces flash before my eyes everytime i banged myself…feel a lot safer now and my kids are in the process of “pimping” the helmet now (not a good sign when that word comes from a 7 year old)...

rest of gear is fine but agree that you have to buy quality…

actually, meant to ask re body armor or tailsavers? comfortable? do you eventually forget you are wearing these?

I bought a pair of Ride Mig bindings, and the straps on these are terrible, they really pinch the toes. I put a new pair of toe straps on them from Rome 390s and they’re awesome now.

i love my goggles which are Oakley Seth Morrisons. Pretty much just for the madness factor smile

Pow Wow - 07 August 2009 05:50 AM

actually, meant to ask re body armor or tailsavers? comfortable? do you eventually forget you are wearing these?

Honestly, when I’m riding I totally forget I have armour. It’s only when you stop or sit down that you might feel the armour/protection. If you get protection that fits well you shouldn’t feel a thing.

Right, I have the RED impact shorts. There are 2 types - boardshorts and mesh. I tried the boardies and the tailbone protector felt like it’d move around too much. The other ones are perfect, as I’ve taken most of the padding out other than what I need (2 fractured tailbones). The only time you realise is sitting on a chairlift or something, but it’s not uncomfortable.

Airblaster balaclava! Stops you from getting those hiddious tan line on your face, protects your face from the elements and makes you look rad.

Best investment this year by far has been a mini squeegee thingy. I know your can get them on gloves but not park gloves and that’s all i ever wear. It has been so foggy that your goggles get covered in moisture that much this season its ridiculous.

louise - 08 August 2009 02:03 AM

Stops you from getting those hiddious tan line on your face.

Come on now, goggle tan is like a badge of honor!

Nudge - 08 August 2009 08:28 AM

Best investment this year by far has been a mini squeegee thingy. I know your can get them on gloves but not park gloves and that’s all i ever wear. It has been so foggy that your goggles get covered in moisture that much this season its ridiculous.

Hell yeah bro. Definitely a conversation starter anywhere too smile

golfpunklegend - 08 August 2009 09:04 AM
Nudge - 08 August 2009 08:28 AM

Hell yeah bro. Definitely a conversation starter anywhere too smile

I agree that it is a badge of honor, but for those outside of the snow community. For example if you work in a professional environment… well, I’ve been called a ‘brown-noser’ cause of my goggle tan makes my nose so tan.