The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Knee Braces

I was in NZ a few days ago, taking a lesson and the coach mentions he’s wearing knee braces on both knees.

He then takes us off piste and I manage to do a double reverse backflip and twist my knee (doc said maybe a tear on cartilage, ligament should be ok…).

Which brings me to question if I too should wear a knee brace, and if anyone of you guys wear them, why and which ones do you wear/recommend? I’m thinking the off the shelf ones, not the $$$$$ tailored to your leg ones made by doctors.

Thanks heaps!!

After having a knee reconstruction I started wearing them for various sports and they do provide a fair bit of support.
I wear just an off the shelf brand at the chemist no tag on it so don’t know the brand.
If you think it will help go for it but I guess for money they last a while so wouldn’t hurt to try out and see how you like it.
Make sure you try a few different types on to get a feel for them though or you might get one that doesn’t fit too well.

i just did my medial ligament in nz and my physio has recommended i wear a brace when i get on the board again…as it is not a bad strain/sprain, he suggested a brace that you can buy from a chemist…he did say to me that even though it may give me a bit some more support, the real value is peace of mind…

good luck though as not good if you can’t shred…

Just had a look at mine and found an old one. Get the airy material ones (neoprene maybe) not the thick flesh coloured (cotton??) fabric.
The fabric one is frayed whereas the other one is in good condition after a couple of years of even use.

I’ve got a knee brace from spraining my knee whilst playing hockey.
its when the little ligaments get little tears.
Mine wasnt so serious so my physio gave me a brace which is a bit more like a sleeve than anything as it is pretty thin material. No brand on it. Tag says made in china.
I could walk on my leg but he said to stay off sport and wearing the brace would help support my knee.

The Neoprene style kneebraces are endorsed by most of my friends with knee problems. Guys who have had major reconstruction etc use large metal/strap devices to ompleatly immobilise the lateral movement of the joint when riding, but for a tear (obviously talking to a Dr / Physio about this, but in my exp..) a Neoprene brace should be -OK.

Best part is , as opposed to metal / ful support braces, neoprene keeps your knee (and muslces/ligaments) toasty warm! These braces allow you to rest easy knowing your muslce is both protected and warmed.

For all you riders out there who wear these braces, would you be interested in purchasing a ‘pimpedout’ snowboard-only version of these braces? Eg addition of interesting colours, lining for extra warmth and snowboard specific brace tension?

I got a Rehband brace with metal hinge. Might seem a little excessive but after I tried it on and realised how light it was I had to get it. Really reduces the twisting in my knee without affecting performance at all. Pricey but in the end, cheaper than a reconstruction…

The Mcdavid knee braces are really good for otr braces. They come with hyper extension stops and metal hinges that offer support for mild to moderate knee problems including liganent problems and instabilities.
They are about $150.
Some stores will rent out knee braces. We rent out $1000 knee braces that are way better than the ones you get in the chemist.

Skiing makes me Board that is the good material type. Is that the kind with the magnets to help reduce pain too?

Oh my god….
“Skiing makes me Board”,  I just realised that your username is a play of words :O
board = snowboard or bored.
Sorry to stray away from knee braces but this is mind blowing cos i’ve read your username a few times but never actually processed it.
ahaha now people are gonna think im wierd

I’m glad I provide you so much entertainment GPL… :D
I’m not sure about the magnets, but I know the brace works really well. Little or no pain when boarding. I get a little when only the front foot is in cause of the weight of the board hanging from my left knee, but its not too bad as long as I avoid kooks who wipe out on chair exits.

smmb, i have heard to only wear low level braces so as not to make your knee any weaker. is there any truth to this?

i’m also assuming most instructors are knee braceless and that my instructor must have had a previous injury or something to cause him to be wearing knee braces on each knee.

I’m not sure. My osteo was happy with the fact that I was wearing a beace that had full hinged support.
The reason I got it was to minimise twisting which the other ones didn’t seem to do quite as well.
I’m not planning on wearing it forever, just until the cartilage & ligaments have had time to recover.

i see. as far as i’m aware, cartilage (and maybe ligaments too?) cannot heal - since they get no bloodflow. so any damage is permanent.

They’re working on replacement cartilage but that will take a while so i’d suggest trying to keep your cartilages intact in the meantime

Innocence - 12 August 2009 02:14 AM

i see. as far as i’m aware, cartilage (and maybe ligaments too?) cannot heal - since they get no bloodflow. so any damage is permanent.

Cartilage does not replenish (some growth at young age) so if it all goes you’re stuck getting a knee replacement. Pretty interesting joint though