The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best Snowboard Related Item You Have Ever Bought

ahahah well i’ve been called “top deck” named after cadbury’s chocolate blocks - (white chocolate on top and dark on the bottom)

The product that made the biggest difference in my riding was bindings. When I got my first set of good, responsive bindings my riding improved dramatically. My first setup had Burton Custom bindings, going back several years (01 or 02 model I think) they were actually very soft (for me anyway). I knew I needed more response in my setup and upgraded to the Mission OLS bindings. They were late season/limited edition, actually the first ever Burton binding with the capstraps, with a stiff baseplate, team skybacks, leather straps, captraps. It finally gave me the support and response I needed and it showed in my riding.

For comfort the best product I ever bought was Burton AK. For many years now I ride in AK/Gore-Tex head to toe. Nothing beats good quality outerwear for comfort.

I own quite a few Burton AK items. They have proven themselves over and over, and hold up over time. Ive had some 3L pants that I basically wear every day for 5-6 years now.
I want only the same pair to replace them… but they really dont need replacing, they are black and fade a little in the knees - that’s the only bad aspect about them.
The Gore-Tex and overall quality of the garment is very nice.

are you kidding me. tan lines look terrible, especially on girls. its like having a beard! dont know when that ever looked good on a chic

louise - 08 August 2009 08:57 PM

are you kidding me. tan lines look terrible, especially on girls. its like having a beard! dont know when that ever looked good on a chic

Personally, i find it hot on girls raspberry *runs away*

ahhh don’t get me started on Burton AK pants

bought a pair last season and the stitching blew out all over the place esp in the crotch

got them eventually replaced with a new pair

guess what - 16 days riding this season and the stitching has blown out again, also the cuffs have torn through in about 3 days walking from the car park to Perisher centre

no impressed at all with the quality of the gear

$550 AUD pair of pants too .....

someone tell me what the toughest gloves are, cause i go through a pair a season

got a pair of Analog (i think) Leather gloves - thought the leather would be tough, but the finger tips have worn through in 16 days of scrapping snow from my bindings

Caboose - 09 August 2009 02:54 AM

ahhh don’t get me started on Burton AK pants

bought a pair last season and the stitching blew out all over the place esp in the crotch

got them eventually replaced with a new pair

guess what - 16 days riding this season and the stitching has blown out again, also the cuffs have torn through in about 3 days walking from the car park to Perisher centre

no impressed at all with the quality of the gear

$550 AUD pair of pants too .....

Wow,
Well if that was my experience Id be unhappy too.
My experiences with AK have all been positive.

Tough gloves? Again I’ve got a lot of AK gloves, they are all great.
I also have atleast one pair from: Swany, Dakine, Defcon, Gernade, Rome. All good gloves, but as you said - leather would probably be the way to go .
Analog is Burton, I’m sure you know.
I dont know of a specific glove I’d mention to you as eing tough, though.
If leather palms diddnt do it for you, you can look for one with the abrasion resistant materials.
Personally I feel like I have a think layer of plastic on my hand with those.
Lifties often have tough palmed gloves, especially rope tow lifties.

the AK range i think does have a lifetime warranty on stitching

apart from the stitiching, they are great pants

Yeah I have to agree with snowslider here, I have used many AK products and all have been great. That sucks about your pants but as you mentioned it’s a good warranty policy. I was also going to recommend AK gloves. They are tough and perform better than any glove I have used. In particular I really like the clutch glove (gore, low profile, leather palm, tough). I have owned quite a few Ak gloves and mitts, most recently my clutch gloves have started to wear at the tip of my index finger after about 200 days of use. I have also had good experiences with the Burton RPM glove (full leather).

ill check em out, thanks

Geez Caboose, you must work your gear hard! I have 2 pairs of AK pants and have not had a problem with either.

Second the above on the AK gloves. I got the AK Hover Mitts (at least I think they are the hover model). 100+ of riding and no evidence of severe wear and tear (I am known to let my hand drag on the snow from time to time).

Caboose, my AK pants didnt blow their stitchings although the cuffs did die off and fray pretty quickly.
It was probably cos i was wearing an XL when i normally wear an M or L at most.
Now, i have sessions pants and i reckon they’re fair decent

just put them into a tailor to hem the cuffs up and restitch the crotch and pocket (has a hole)

they are an awesome pant, but if i send em back to Burton i don’t think i’d see a new pair this season (took 4 months to get em replaced last time)

down for another week at the end of August

sorry all my posts have been off topic .....

i was just trying to think about a “good/best” product

i love my Rome Mod board (but top deck is getting hacked up)

i like Rome 390 bindings

i really liked my Flow Team Bindings (but screws are an issue with that)

all my clothing gear just doesn’t last and i only do about 20 days ish in Oz ...... :(