The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What’s your worst boarding injury?

You sure ya got that ‘Fat Lip’ from boardin Crackers????  tongue wink

yeh you got me! it was cause i tried to borrow the gfs board wax again….dangerous thing to do!

I reckon that a popped achilles has to rate up there way higher most of the injuries so far! that is nuts…..

Right now I’d say is my worst one. Avulsion fracture on my left ankle, broken fibula and a loose chunk of bone floating around in there somewhere. It was done on a 3 foot mini quarter as well. (Sigh)

I’ve had all the usual injuries, but here’s one that’s a little different -

About a month ago I was getting on a lift with the Mrs and a couple of random skiers. As soon as we hit the seat, the skiers slammed down the bar, jamming Jess’ little finger in between the bar and the frame of the lift. Despite her having gloves on, the force with which they slammed it down was so hard that it immediately caused her whole fingernail to be popped off! She took it really well, but obviously was in a great deal of pain. The other people on the lift were giving her dirty looks as if she was carrying on over nothing, until she took off her glove and then they were a bit more sympathetic and decided that just maybe an apology was in order…

Empire - 15 August 2010 10:30 PM

I’ve had all the usual injuries, but here’s one that’s a little different -

About a month ago I was getting on a lift with the Mrs and a couple of random skiers. As soon as we hit the seat, the skiers slammed down the bar, jamming Jess’ little finger in between the bar and the frame of the lift. Despite her having gloves on, the force with which they slammed it down was so hard that it immediately caused her whole fingernail to be popped off! She took it really well, but obviously was in a great deal of pain. The other people on the lift were giving her dirty looks as if she was carrying on over nothing, until she took off her glove and then they were a bit more sympathetic and decided that just maybe an apology was in order…

Ahhh that suck! Sorry to hear it. mad

lewis - 04 August 2010 11:12 AM

Right now I’d say is my worst one. Avulsion fracture on my left ankle, broken fibula and a loose chunk of bone floating around in there somewhere. It was done on a 3 foot mini quarter as well. (Sigh)

Lewis, is that a recent injury?

Just got the all clear from the physio for my knee.. on the 2nd run of the corporate games when i stacked it i ended up with too much flexion in my left knee and the cartilage wasn’t too happy afterwards which lead to a bit of a limp so after a week decided to head to the physio.

Now to head to my health fund on the weekend to claim back all my physio bills from the knee and my ribs. I think I’ll invest some of the return in some glucosamine after having a read of the other thread. Asked the physio about it and he said it’s not scientifically proven to help so he wouldn’t confirm nor deny if they’d make a difference but from my side I think it’s worth a gamble given majority of my injuries are cartilage related.

Yeah Jeremy, it’s pretty recent. It happened about 3 weeks ago, but I get the boot off on the 6th of September and should be able to skate soon after that, depending on how effective the physio is.

i would like to know what is the amount of compensation for knee injuries

^depends on the level of health cover you’ve got.

I just got $291 back from $410 of physio bills but from memory I pay ~$70 a month for private health cover. Rarely use it but for peace of mind etc I don’t mind having it.

My knee is strapped up after the last physio session - we thought it was all good but after the last weekend down there had a pretty savage limp, turns out wasn’t just cartilage but also the joint/ligament of my tibia and fibula. Just hoping that the whole strapping thing isn’t something that I’ll have to do for an ongoing period. It’s going to hurt like hell getting it all off since I didn’t have any warning to shave my knee so not looking forward to the next visit when they’re going to rip it all off

mine isn’t bad it is just funny,,
it was at Thredbo on Monday,coming up to the first jump on highnoon thought i had enough speed so i lined up my line,hit the kicker,Then while in the air i realised i was gonna land short,so i was getting ready for a hard landing,then as i landed my tounge was hanging out of my mouth and sure enough i hit my chin on my knee and bit my tounge lol i still have a lump today and it has been 4days

Yesterday I was going down a green run at about mach chicken and I went to pull a half cab over a little roller and my edge sunk into the soft snow a bit to much. This made me go into frontside 90 to edge catching face plant.. Then I flipped over smashing again and then onto my feet some how. During this process I broke my board in two under my front foot so when I landed on my feet after the flipping it hooked up causing me to face plant again… To mine and my friends surprise I was still awake and feeling fine. Then I had to butt board to mid station…It was fun! unfortunately my favorite shred stick ( option chris duficy model ) is no more :( This is one of the more mellow crashes I have had….. Whistler Chiropratic is coming to my rescue at 3:15! Wehew!!!

That sounds pretty hectic Shaner! Good you came out of it relatively unscathed.

Heck yeah man thanks.. I just went and saw the whistler chiro again too and my hip alignment even held up ok.. Goes to show what good exercise and treatment can do for a guy eh!

Injury’s - pfft
I’m to tough!! even when I do get injured it doesn’t stop me….

When I broke and dislocated my knee it hurt, that was this year (was boarding 5 days later)

so did the torn calf muscle 1 year before that (again 5 days I was on the hill)

didn’t feel a lot when I hit a tree; 1998 (3 days)

biting my tongue in three bled heaps and made me hungry, 1999

dislocated my shoulder 5 times 1998-2001 (kept boarding- no down time)

When I get the knee re construction in 2011 it will slow me down (what the surgeon reckons) for 3 months with another 3 months until I’m fit for snowboarding again. Lucky we wont have snow until June hey!

red face