The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Muso Thread

This thread is for the musicians amongst us to talk anything music.
I’m interested to see if there is any other musos on boardworld?

I play guitar, have for bout 5-6 yrs. Self taught. Love mostly playing acoustic rock blues folk, but also love playing hard rock metal pop rock. I love playing acoustic covers of songs from all genres, i find it a way to interperate a song in your own way and be creative.

Play in an acoustic duo called the Lee Brothers Duo, and are a 1 singer 1 guitarist(and backing vocals) who do acoustic covers of just about anything. Do gigs at pubs/bars occasionally and also do functions such as weddings, engagements, birthdays, work parties etc.
Also have a 3 piece acoustic with my bro n cousin and we just stuff around writing our own music and also doing covers of old rock songs and putting our own twist. A lot of the stuff we right is acoustic comedic rock. some very out there lyrics and politically incorrect lyrics, but we just do it for a laugh. We do three guitars to two guitars n percussion, to acoustic electric and drums.
I play a bit of percussion and drums with this group.

So yeh, whos a muso? Either professional, punter or just learning, what do you do and what are you into.

Discuss anything to do with music here, from your own songs, ask for feedback or ideas on new material, what you like or dislike, anything!

hope to get some action going here cool smile

I try to play some guitar every now and then… I’m horribly bad at it but everytime you get a few notes down that sound a little like a song, you get a bit more urge to keep going. I got an Ibanez Electric with a cheap $40 amp but it produces some pretty sick quality. Think it cost me about $350 (ebay) all up and it sounds amazing when someone good plays it lol.

I generally listen to Metal, Rock, Alternative… but don’t mind a bit of chill out music on a Sunday morning, sitting on the balcony and frying up some bacon and eggs on the BBQ.

It just so happens im a bit of muso myself. Ive played all sorts of instruments since i was about 10.. From first picking up the recorder, to the clarinet, sax then finally the guitar at 14.. ROCK! (along with a little bit of bass in there too for good measure.

Im also self taught. Had a few private lessons in high school to get notes and scales down, slowly progressing to playing in a punk cover band in my last 2 years of high school. Now i just play for fun, though there is something in me somewhere that wants to rekindle that punk band..

Major influences in my playing would be my first loves. Nirvana, Green Day, NOFX, and Tool and probably.. I tend to play alot of acoustic these days as its near impossible for me to get my hands on an electric.. I bought a Takamine acoustic when i was in LA. Best money i ever spent on a guitar.. Love it! Ill buy an amp and electric when i get home from OS for shizzle.

Soooo now’a days ill play alot of different rock/punk/acoustic rock/chill out whatever catches my ear and i feel like learning.. I think the last track i learnt wassss Hero of War - Rise Against.. Good little song.

So there you have it, a little background on my music background.. Anyone else care to share??

play most brass & wind instruments - my job is fixing them

currently playing Drums with my Band The Consorts

have a gig at the Annandale Hotel Thursday 29th of July!!!

surferguy - what area of the Nth Beaches did you grow up

i was at Bilgola PS and Barrenjoey in the late 80s/early 90s

Yo Caboose, not sure how or where you’ve sourced your information from, but i didnt grow up in the nth beaches… I grew up in Tassie, moved to Bondi/Bronte about 8-10 years ago smile

sorry got you confused with northernbeachesguy .... the surfing tag ..... blonde/tired moment

Good to see there is some musos her amongst us cool smile

Takamines are nice guitars, had the pleasure of playing with one once on stage. Do you still have it surferguy? I have a just a beat up fender acoustic i muck round with and use a Maton 325 for gigs (not actually my guitar tho) but am looking at getting a Cole Clark fat lady2. Awesome guitars and so versatile when plugged in. Also have a Telecaster to play elect. stuff with.

Drums are great Caboose, im just starting to get into it. Really fun to play

i used to play the drums when i was in highschool but stopped playing a few years ago when i moved house :(

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 15 July 2010 12:18 AM

. . . Also have a Telecaster to play elect. stuff with. . .

I’ve got a Fender Tele too. My favourite guitar.

Love this thread!
I play guitar and I sing and scream (yeah :D)
I’m currently in 2 bands

We haven’t gotten anything up yet but we are recording some songs to send down to get them mastered! woo :D
Vocalist in this one
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/I-The-Burden/132922473465145

and Guitarist in this one (recently joined :D)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Searching-The-Silence/189251481120201

I used to play drums at school then I decided to do Visual Arts instead of music…should of did music mad

I got a really crap Fender Bullet Strat and a Fender amp (my first guitar). I wanna upgrade and get an ESP with a Line 6 amp or a Peavey.

I play the triangle rocker I played the trumpet for about 2 years in primary school lol.. Played drums for about 3 years in high school. Thinking of buying a drum kit again, but don’t think I’ll be able to find the time to play.

Check out this hang drum solo for mad percussive skills!

Haha I seen that before it’s so trippy

You guys gots some competitionout there- people are building music robots now

[youtube]hXrNCak63u0#![/youtube]

all i wish is that i could play the harmonica lol, love the sound of it!!