The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How Did You Get Into Snowboarding???

Exactly, I’ve got my whole life to get into a job or career to stick with for an extended period of time, but it’s not like I can retire afterwards and go do seasons in the snow and reap as much of the rewards as I would now. Following on from your point about find a job in the same field, it’s also a great way to experience something completely different. For me I went from customer service over the phones to working outdoors and it was one of the most rewarding jobs for me and has helped me get a better idea of what sort of work to aim for career wise as I’ve generally just gone with the flow in the past and never really had a clear defined career path.

Makes you realise that theres more to life than having a job that pays well when you are younger. Sure enough it’s something most want down the line when it comes to a mortgage but if you’ve got little holding you back as you said kort, ‘go for it’ you’ve got nothing to lose and at the end of the day if it doesn’t work out then hey at least you have no regrets or doubt in your mind that you gave it a shot. Something to add i suppose is if you’re planning on doing it by yourself seriously consider going for the whole ‘working’ holiday idea as it’s a fantastic way to meet a whole lot of likeminded people and make a heap of great friends. At least I found it that way.

Hmm maybe I should look into working in travel recruitment for these companies, as reading that all over again it sounds like a massive sales pitch to get people working overseas in the snow hahaha

my brothers got me into this rad sport!! thank god for bros haha

I always wanted to give it a crack but never did because I didn’t have the equipment. I’m not one for hiring gear, so I never tried it.

Took up surfing a few years ago, loved it, and figured snowboarding was a natural progression I guess. I decided I had to try it. Then my g/f’s cousin went to Canada to work a season and ended up working in some board store over there. She called me and asked me if I wanted her to send me a board and bindings etc cause she could get them dirt cheap.

And that’s it. Got all my stuff and headed straight to the snow. Loved it.