The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trick suggestion

I just wanted to get the ball rolling in this section by talking about a fun trick that i like to do to warm me back up for the new season.

The trick in question is boardslide 270 out.  Or to pin it down more tightly, tail slide bagel out that is sliding on the tail of your board facing forward down the box/rail and spinning 270 degrees out in the same direction you jumped on. 

I really like this trick for the early season as it doesn’t take that much commitment but gives you a nice warm feeling deep down when it works out.

It doesn’t take too much commitment because you can see the box/rail when you jump on and if you don’t feel balanced enough for the 270 out you can just come out riding switch which is quite a natural progression for this trick.

I’m not going to go into too much specific detail about the how to with this trick (unless people want to take this tread that way) I just wanted to exchange a few ideas on good tricks to do to get the freestyle juices going without having to scare yourself too much.

Just briefly for completness’ sake.

I suggest you take a progression like this as a guide.  Feel comfy doing boardslides on some features you like then try experimenting coming out switch as well as normal.  After that try and slide on the tail of your board by moving your board using your lower body (you can practice this statically).  For the 270 out once you feel comfy in the tail slide start to turn your hips and shoulders in the direction you want to spin out and when you get to the end of the rail/box turn your head and pop a little to complete the spin out.

I find this trick a lot easier from a tailslide and i think its more fun too.  Also if you get it pretty locked there are a lot of variations that are really fun to learn.

are we talking front board to 270 out or back board to 270 out? not that it matters much. i will assume your talking about front board. i find front board 270 out to be a smoother trick, might just be the way i do them, i tend to force the last 270 around when spinning 270 out of a back board. the way you described the progression is spot on. you have to take it step by step or the thought of it will be too much. get confident with boardslide, coming off reg and switch, before trying spin combos. then before you step to a rail test your skills on a wider box. next step is 270 on 270 off, probably my fave trick to do on a jib.

I was thinking backside boardslide as most people find it easier to learn boardslides before frontboards, although i agree with you that frontboard bagels look and feel dope.  I’m just starting up for the season and neither my upper or lower brain is quite ready for front board bagels cos of the blindness that I find can easily come with that trick.

Something you can try to help with the 270 out is to make sure to keep your hips moving as you slide and perhaps turn your head slightly earlier.
To get the feeling and also just for fun you can try this variation.  Find an easy box, one with a subtle kink is perfect but it doesn’t matter.  Approach as if you’re doing the same trick (tailslide 270) but as you pop on to start the tailslide turn your head as if you’re looking back towards the start of the box/rail and pop a little bit.  Your aim is to land in a (switch) frontboard position (ie you’ve just done a switch up) and then you can either ride off in your normal stance (stoked) or continue the momentum of your spin and 270 out of it and roll away switch (uber stoked). 

Hope you have as much fun with this as I have.