The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

boots > laces vs wire

i’ve had boas - DC judges. They were great for speed of getting on and off as well blister reduction on the hands. But it was hard to get a great fit due to the single boa

have moved ont nitro team TLS now - love the TLS lacing - quick and easy and easily adjusted at top and bottom

Girlfriend is still on BOA and loves them -

louise - 20 June 2009 02:17 AM

I was always laces all the way, but this season i got salomon boots, the optima. Salomon do the triple lock lacing system, so the laces stay locked in all day, but you can still change the pressure through the different sections in the boot. Their liners dont pack out too much, so they stay comfy for longer. Ive done over 100 days on mine and they are still going strong!

yup my +1 has the Salomon Optimas and is very happy with them - She has ridden in excess of 50 days with them and they still doing the business. Because they are pretty chuny, she calls them her ‘club feet’ but she has realised with boots - she doesnt care what they look like - as long as they are comfy!!  The lcoking system is awesome plus as an added bonus you dont shred your skins apart from needing to pull so tightly.

I’ve got a pair of duel zone vans that are a couple of seasons old now (about 10 solid weeks of riding) and I love them. They are still as stiff as the day I bought them and the best fitting boots I have owned. I didn’t intentionally intend to get Boa’s and was open to any lacing system. I just fond they fit best.  The Mrs has a pair of DC Boa’s (as she finds laces to hard to get tight enough) and recons they are great.

IMO the lacing system is secondary to fit and you should be buy the best fitting boot you can

Boots are a complete personal choice. For some people their foot shape doesn’t allow them to ride with a boa system or speed zone system. I personally ride in lace ups because of the comfort and control they give me in doing up my boots. Being in a shop environment i try on the other systems to see the fit of them.
Nitro has the Twin Lacing System (TLS) which i found a very comfortable fit. They do up nice and snug and have the natural flex of laces.
Speed Zone and BOA i find to harsh on the top of my foot. I have a high arch area so the pressure doesn’t give any comfort. The BOA system does have its flaws but sometimes you just get a lemon.
DC now are doing a Rapid Lace System which is like the Speed Zone. So they seem to work for people and be favored by the ladies. i do still love my laces thought for the maximum comfort.

I think my next pair may be a speed-zone type system.
I like my 32s though.
I could try some DC maybe.
I used to ride Burton’s boots all the time, and they make a good product, but sometimes you just want to try other things.