The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Banana boards Vs Magnetraction

I was woundering which was better lib techs banana boards technology or Magnetraction   ?

There is no such thing as better when it comes to these things. It’s personal preference and goes down to what you want out of your snowboard.

Banana technology (reverse camber) and magnetraction are two completely different things. Infact all their boards with banana technology have magnetraction also.

If you tell us more about your riding style, what you will be using the board for, where you are rding etc.. we will be able to help you.

My first thought is how different these two things are, so they cant be compared.
They are directed at enhancing two different performances… The magne traction is for edge hold, while the bananna or rocker is for flex and float.
These topics were bound to come up though.
There is much that can be said about both of them.
I’ve still not rode a magne traction board and I really want to.
I’ve been on a few zero camber or reverse camber boards and they are a little too soft for my groomed runs that I like to ride on, but maybe I’ve just not found the right one, because so many riders like them so much.

snowslider - 17 June 2009 09:56 PM

I’ve been on a few zero camber or reverse camber boards and they are a little too soft for my groomed runs that I like to ride on, but maybe I’ve just not found the right one, because so many riders like them so much.

Perhaps check out something like the upcoming Travis Rice promodel. Certain boards in the line have been updated with the “C2 Power Banana” which is a combo of regular & reverse camber (think Neversummer or Inca). Shhh, don’t tell anyone but Mr. Rice didn’t seem to ride normal banana, except on his rev-camber, rev-sidecut Banana Hammock. Maybe the new version is something he likes a little more.

I have an MTX Trice and think it’s one of the best boards I’ve ridden for all mountain freestyle/freeride.

Enn Zed - 18 June 2009 12:50 AM

Perhaps check out something like the upcoming Travis Rice promodel. Certain boards in the line have been updated with the “C2 Power Banana” which is a combo of regular & reverse camber (think Neversummer or Inca). Shhh, don’t tell anyone but Mr. Rice didn’t seem to ride normal banana, except on his rev-camber, rev-sidecut Banana Hammock. Maybe the new version is something he likes a little more.

I have an MTX Trice and think it’s one of the best boards I’ve ridden for all mountain freestyle/freeride.

It is funny that you mention Inca, I was just thinking a while back about how a lot of this reverse camber stuff was tried by Inca and rejected by the industry.
I really wanted to try those boards out, and I was even talking with them until I got a tip from Amanda Hiddenwave about her dealings with them… and I backed off the deal that was underway.

But their tech was about the same.
I saw one of their boards in UT many years back, it was all crooked looking.

Enn Zed - 18 June 2009 12:50 AM

Ooow I demoed the T.Rice banana board in Whistler. Took a little bit of getting used to, but it was a really, really good board. It definately was not soft, and I bombed a few funs with it through chop no prob. The pop was insane, more than pretty much any board I have ever ridden, I would ollie and just be in the air forever. It still has magnetraction so obviously edge hold was not an issue. I wish I had another day on it.

Sorry the little knowlege on the this, yeh i prefer to freeride than spend a day in the park.
thanks for the advice so far

No need to apologise, we are here to help. Out of those two features, magnetraction would be better for you for sure, especially in Australia.

Magnetraction gives better edge hold, especially on ice and hardpack - works remarkably well.

If there is anything else you want to know feel free to ask.

Shauno_33 - 17 June 2009 12:50 PM

I was woundering which was better lib techs banana boards technology or Magna Traction   ?

If you go a lib tech board, you would get a board that has both. You get a nice ride with the reverse camber but a nice edge hold with the magne traction.

sweet sounds good

snownut - 18 June 2009 07:11 AM
Shauno_33 - 17 June 2009 12:50 PM

I was woundering which was better lib techs banana boards technology or Magna Traction   ?

If you go a lib tech board, you would get a board that has both. You get a nice ride with the reverse camber but a nice edge hold with the magne traction.

My dislike about the un-cambered boards I’ve been on (all though few) has been the lack of edge hold.. If magne traction really does help, I wonder if that is the answer for me. I will have to try one.
I am curious how magne traction would work on some good east coast “hardpack” (ice).
I can imagine how it works when the board can grip into the snow some… but when that grip is minimized, I wonder how it will perform.

Which reverse camber boards have you tried?

Bangem both out. I say

You get a lot more “natural” performance out of a board with this new design. So much pop, power and the edge is sick. but i dont know about it for jibbin

There will always be a space for the regular designed boards. Give it five years and time will tell if revrse camber and new edge designs are what the promises otherwise you can put it back on the shelf with your baseless bindings (which seem to have come back as EST)and low backs, nothin wrong with a bit of old school tweakin

Jez. - 18 June 2009 10:52 AM

Which reverse camber boards have you tried?

The only one I can comment on is the fix, which I had about 3 long runs on one day, and another once or twice down the mountain a different day. (a few times on a box in the park as well).
The others only one short run, I cant and shouldnt comment on specifically.

The fix is what I base most of my opinion on as that is where I have had the most experience.
I’ve not closed the door on this, I still like trying out different boards and learning about them all.

The Fix is not a true reverse camber board, it doesn’t have any camber. I wouldn’t base your opinion on the Fix.

I think you need to try something like the Lib Tech Skate Banana or the Burton Hero, to get a true feel for reverse camber. I am dying to get on a Hero.

rider26 - 18 June 2009 01:06 PM

The Fix is not a true reverse camber board, it doesn’t have any camber. I wouldn’t base your opinion on the Fix.

I think you need to try something like the Lib Tech Skate Banana or the Burton Hero, to get a true feel for reverse camber. I am dying to get on a Hero.

Believe me, I want to!