The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trents rad book club

Ahoy chaps and chapettes,
My daily commute on the train to work takes 1 and a bit hours so to pass the time I read my kindle like a mo-fo, and for the last 3-4 months I’ve been reading the game of thrones series of books and loving them BUT sadly I’m nearly at the end of the last book he has written and there has been no word when the next one will come out so I thought I’d start a topic where we can suggest rad books we’ve read to each other.

So suggest away, but make it quick I’m nearly at the end and I really couldn’t stand staring out the window of my train

Ill start with the game of thrones ( properly known as A song of ice & fire ) series. They are even radder than the tv show and actually help make more sense out of what happens on said show.

Radical
Trent

Not much of a reader, but I did love Ben Elton’s stuff!!!!!

Harry Potter series smile

Go back and read Jack Londons stuff, great books in my opinion.  I don’t tend to read much new stuff unless it’s bio type things, that always seems to be what I buy when I’m at the airport and usually of a military persuasion.

One heavy book I read was by an ex russian army sniper who went through the Chechen conflict, some of the shit that happened there is very eye opening.  Remembered what it’s called Freefall: A Snipers Story from Chechnya

Also read this long fantasy adventure series back in high school called The Amtrak Wars, set in post apocalyptic world in the future.

These days I don’t read as much as I would like to, I have two big ass boxes full of books in my garage that I have read and enjoyed but I do find myself reading a few books over and over like a good movie.

Alistair Maclean:  HMS Ulysses

Brian Callison??maybe: A Flock of Ships

Len Deighton:  Goodbye Mickey Mouse

Dunno the author: Brown on Resolution

Fredrick Forsyth: most of his stuff

Ernest Hemingway: The old man and the sea

Theres a few other I can’t think of right now

Oh snap how could I forget Captain WE Johns and the Biggles books, I read those things over and over and over when I was a kid ha ha!

I second Ben Elton!

Also enjoy John Grisham stuff

Oh and I always seem to remember a book called The Thrid Twin? Ken Follet I think.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. Hands down a highly entertaining series, will keep you amused.

I’ll come back with some more suggestions later.

What genre do you normally read?

I really enjoy “The Cat In The Hat” and “The Cat In The Hat Comes Back”.

I’m up to book 3 of game of thrones. Haven’t started it yet cos uni reading is taking up too much of my time. So amped on it though.

I recommend The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Its sort of historical fiction with vikings raiding in England and King Alfred the Great etc. Very interesting, loosely based on real history and lots of bad-ass fighting scenes! I think there are 5 or 6 books in the series so far so they’ll keep you going for a bit if you decide you enjoy it.

I want to read the Game of Thrones books. Just finished Season two in the TV series. I never find time to read though, except hols sometimes.

I can only remember three books that I’ve finished completely.

- sadako and the thousand paper cranes
- Roy - Andrew Symonds biography
- IT!

Not really much of a ready. A book has to grab me in the first few pages otherwise I tune out. Mind you, at the same time I don’t give reading much of a chance haha interested to possibly give the game of thrones books a go as the tv show is epic!

Oh and I read goosebumps when I was a young whipper snapper. Really enjoyed the choose your own story ones haha

Ken Follett is a great author. Recently finished reading one of his older books, “A Dangerous Fortune.” Set between 1860 and 1890 in London, it was a really interesting read with a great storyline.

I just bought part one of his new trilogy. It’s called “Fall of Giants” and it’s set during WWI. Haven’t started reading it but it looks pretty epic.

Just finished reading a book called “The Lion” by Nelson DeMille. Quite action packed, it’s about a Libyan terrorist and the cat and mouse game he plays with an ex-NYPD cop who now works for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The book is written from both their perspectives so it’s quite interesting.

Currently reading a book called “The Disciple.” It’s about Iran’s nuclear weapons program and everything surrounding it. Only 100 or so pages in but already it’s getting really exciting.

I read an awesome book called ‘house to house’.

In November, 2004, a U.S. infantry squad in Fallujah plunged into one of the most sustained and savage urban battles in the history of American men at arms. Ssg. Bellavia and his men confronted an enemy who had had weeks to prepare, booby-trapping houses, arranging ambushes, rigging entire city blocks as explosive-laden kill zones, and even stocking up on steroids. Entering one house, alone, Bellavia faced the fight of his life against six insurgents, using every weapon at his disposal, including a knife.

I haven’t read it because my crap-o-meter went off the richter when it sold a zillion books in no time and I heard what it was about

...but a friend just linked to this review of 50 shades of grey on facebook and I laughed out loud about 15 times when I was reading it. Thought a few others might get a laugh out of it. Some hilarious gifs in there.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215?auto_login_attempted=true

rider26 - 26 September 2012 10:09 PM

Ken Follett is a great author. Recently finished reading one of his older books, “A Dangerous Fortune.” Set between 1860 and 1890 in London, it was a really interesting read with a great storyline.

I just bought part one of his new trilogy. It’s called “Fall of Giants” and it’s set during WWI. Haven’t started reading it but it looks pretty epic.

Just finished reading a book called “The Lion” by Nelson DeMille. Quite action packed, it’s about a Libyan terrorist and the cat and mouse game he plays with an ex-NYPD cop who now works for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The book is written from both their perspectives so it’s quite interesting.

Currently reading a book called “The Disciple.” It’s about Iran’s nuclear weapons program and everything surrounding it. Only 100 or so pages in but already it’s getting really exciting.

Shouldn’t you be watchin a certain film instead of readin?????  hmmm

Currently I’m readnig Mortality by Christopher Hitchens.  It’s an account of the last months of his life as he dies from cancer.

If you’re into sci-fi, or even just a good read, I’ll give you a few:
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons - very entertaining read
anything by Neal Stephenson.  His latest was less sci-fi more action thriller (REAMDE).
anything by William Gibson.  Check out Neuromancer if you haven’t already.
any of the Culture books by Iain M. Banks - highly recommended eg. Excession, The Player of Games
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

mX…mainly for the sudoku
rolleyes