The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Helmets..Yes or No?

Aidy - 29 June 2009 07:22 AM

ok, so here is my view for what its worth.  helmets are almost certainly a really good idea.  i’m a big fan of personal freedom however and fully appreciate the fact that at present people are free to choose whether or not to wear them.  i’d not be at all happy if i was forced to wear one.  anyways just thought i’d pop my head above the parapet on this one.  I know from my park riding that there are a lot of dope riders who don’t rock one, not to mention pros. I just think that people will be scared off from saying anything against wearing a helmet after reading the miriad comments in their favour on this thread.

irrelavent comment:  those sandbox ones, dope!

spot on Aidy, each to there own. Most of the ‘boyz’ don’t ride with them, but I have never heard anyone giving flak to others for wearing a skid lid.

never have, but feel inclined to this season.

got first turns in a couple weeks ago and all the exposed rock had me feelin a touch nervy

Never wore one till I got knocked out.
Don’t mind them but its personal prefrence. As said before its a personal choice so its up to the indivdual.

Tambazz - 29 June 2009 09:57 AM
Aidy - 29 June 2009 07:22 AM

ok, so here is my view for what its worth.  helmets are almost certainly a really good idea.  i’m a big fan of personal freedom however and fully appreciate the fact that at present people are free to choose whether or not to wear them.  i’d not be at all happy if i was forced to wear one.  anyways just thought i’d pop my head above the parapet on this one.  I know from my park riding that there are a lot of dope riders who don’t rock one, not to mention pros. I just think that people will be scared off from saying anything against wearing a helmet after reading the miriad comments in their favour on this thread.

irrelavent comment:  those sandbox ones, dope!

spot on Aidy, each to there own. Most of the ‘boyz’ don’t ride with them, but I have never heard anyone giving flak to others for wearing a skid lid.

Sadly I’ve heard many pick on others for wearing a helmet.

I’m old enough to not care.
Busting my head would not be a badge of honor like it would have been when I was 20 yrs old.
hospital bill costs me money, not my parents, and being out of work cost me and my family money.
When we get older - some things change.

I wear a helmet all the time now after nasty incident in Japan. Thought I was invincible but obviously I wasn’t.

The plus side is the helmets are far warmer then beanies, and a good venting helmet can cool you down so well.

Worn a helmet since 1999 when I was in Canada. Instructor I was mates with just told me “I guess its a question of how much you value your head - I guess you value it as a $2 beanie” - despite no serious crashes, it got me thinking and i bought one right away. Its saved me a few times. Got back to Oz and I got a few funny looks that’s for sure.  I didn’t mind - when it comes to my head I really don’t care what people think! Helmets also keep your head warmer then a beanie ever will grin

Whilst I am confident enough in my own ability, one thing I cannot control are other people. I have been “taken out” by out of control fools who have slammed me from behind. Without my helmet I would shudder to think what could have happened to me.

Yeah I’m starting to think I should pick up a helmet this season as I plan to hit plenty of park which no doubt leads me to thinking I’m going to be hitting plenty of hard stuff to as I learn.

Remember going up Village 8 run at Perisher and seeing a kid slam his head across the corner of a box and left a nice bloody stain in the white stuff.

Ever since then I’ve thoguht maybe I should pick one up, that was about 2 seasons ago.

The thing is it’s not just the park where you will need one. If you like cutting through the trees I’d say it’s a must have, there are plenty of accidents to be had out of the park as well where a helmet will be handy.
I’m not saying everyone should get one either. Its up to each rider.

Oh yeah I don’t disagree that just saying the first time I sat back and went fark maybe I should invest in a helmet was that incident 2 season ago.

Yeah I’ve heard of some bad shit going down between the bushes.

Wouldn’t mind one with some built in headphones.

Ads1 - 07 July 2009 08:51 AM

The thing is it’s not just the park where you will need one. If you like cutting through the trees I’d say it’s a must have, there are plenty of accidents to be had out of the park as well where a helmet will be handy.
I’m not saying everyone should get one either. Its up to each rider.

One thing that is needed in the trees is goggles.
in the trees with nothing over your eyes is asking for it too.
Losing an eye wouldnt be a badge of honor that I would want from snowboarding.

snowslider - 07 July 2009 12:54 PM

What if your a boarding pirate?

snowslider - 07 July 2009 12:54 PM

What if your a boarding pirate?

then you might lose your only good eye.

zhenjie - 30 June 2009 05:10 AM

I wear a helmet all the time now after nasty incident in Japan. Thought I was invincible but obviously I wasn’t.

I get the feeling that people seem to make the decision to invest in the helmet AFTER a nasty incident has happened. Pretty reactive behaviour really.
Perhaps getting a helmet BEFORE an incident takes place would be better smile I think its fair to say most riders are going to have a serious stack sooner or later. I would rather be wearing a helmet for THAT crash as opposed to the next crash.

I think the other point is that a crash can occur anywhere, not just in the terrain park. I have seen some pretty serious crashes on Front Valley (Perisher) due to the sheer number of beginners and traffic. I would want to wear a helmet there! No matter how good a rider you are, an out-of-control beginner can be a very dangerous thing.

Whilst there are reasons why people choose not to wear a helmet (cost, comfort, look, etc), I will continue to wear mine. I have so few brain cells left, I need to keep them alive any possible way grin

its up to the person really…...ive never worn a helmet only in comps and i will say i feel alot safer doing bigger jumps and boxs with one on but when im out shreading the park with mates i never do…

Your call really =)

I ride with a few people that only wear a helmet in certain situations.
I feel that you’re either a person that uses a helmet or a rider that dont.

I mean If I decided to not wear one when riding deep pow… I’ll still end up in the trees sooner or later, ya know.