The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Helmets..Yes or No?

Ive got the Giro g10, with the motorola bluetooth kit. It is awesome would recomend it to everyone, comfy, great airflow control, and of course smooth tunes to shred with

My first day out on the board ever i ended up in the midical centre with a concusion. So ever since there is no way ill hit the mountain with out, not worth the risk. A couple of people die every year from head trauma (hitting trees, collected by beginners…..etc), and it keeps ur head nice a toasty!

i love wearing a helmet and have been doing so since about 02 i think…. after a near miss on a rail at perisher. i had a forum one after that accident but after a crash…again on rails, it was done, so i got a burton hi-fi with the audio pads. i love it and love riding to music, i just have it turned down low when riding with crew or for safety…but in japan on solo night pow runs i had it cranked up a bit…on some of my videos you can hear it in the background. wink

i really do think a helmet has saved me from a few bad tree clips etc and collisions with other riders. i got fully slammed from behind one time and copped a ski to the back of the head (long story)...the helmet bore the brunt of that accident and the cuts into the plastic showed that a ski could have done a lot worse to flesh and supplied the need for some nice stitches.

Only a matter of time before helmuts become law i think.
I wear one now. Got into a bad accident a few years ago. Its not me i am worried about. It’s the 50 knukkle heads riding around me.
Giro g10 is my choice.

im going to get one for this season. there are just so many people around now, all it takes is one out of control person to claim you as well. having concussions is not fun, i use one for bowl skating so why not for snowboarding? it just seems to make sense with the ice we get.

Yeah I’ve been wearing a Leedom Vandal for the last 5 years now. Just got a new one with the audio after cracking it and knocking myself out last year. I know it saved me cuase if I didnt have one on then that would have been my head. Wouldn’t ride without one keeps me warm enough but not too warm, goggles attached to me if I stack. And now I have a little man its a good example that my wife and I wear one because he has to at ski school.

chucky1777 - 29 June 2009 02:32 AM

And now I have a little man its a good example that my wife and I wear one because he has to at ski school.

Besides your other valid reasons , this is the best one…

Well done..All of your gang have a happy, safe season

We as a family all wear helmets, saved the young blokes head on Saturday, his face plant destroyed a pair of goggles.
I know wearing a helmet has made it possible for another day riding several times.

We have plenty of people, friends and family, we will not let any children out to slide without a lid on. Most of the time we shame their parents into setting a better example as well.

I think instructors should wear them as well, lead by example.

There was a skier at Hotham last week who’s helmet was written off when collected by another skier. A trip to hospital and he is very sore but able to ski again!!!!!

I wear a helmet.
There’s a family of 4 that we are friends with and they all wear helmets too.
Your situation of the helmet saving the young one’s head, but destroyed the goggles, is the same when the 11 yr old was getting crazy on a C-box and face planted.
So thankful for the helmet!

I would usually say no. But this season I think I might be, only when Im hitting some of the bigger jumps and longer rails. All the stuff im hitting are reletivly medium in size, or length. This season, I might try some bigger stuff.

It doesnt have to be big for you to wreck yourself.
But good to hear, I hope you find it comfortable. It is like using a seatbelt when driving, once you get used to it, when you dont have it you really notice that somethign is missing.

snowslider - 29 June 2009 03:45 AM

It is like using a seatbelt when driving, once you get used to it, when you dont have it you really notice that somethign is missing.

good analogy…...well,  except for the typo..

Dave99 - 29 June 2009 04:30 AM

It is like using a seatbelt when driving, once you get used to it, when you dont have it you really notice that somethign is missing.

you’ll see that typo again, it’s one of my most common typos… well that and typing board as baord.
Should that be another topic? sharing out most common typos. or have we then gone too far?

snowslider - 29 June 2009 04:35 AM

you’ll see that typo again, it’s one of my most common typos… well that and typing board as baord.
Should that be another topic? sharing out most common typos. or have we then gone too far?

I think you should have started wearing a helmet earlier in your career… surprised

Dave99 - 29 June 2009 04:39 AM
snowslider - 29 June 2009 04:35 AM

I think you should have started wearing a helmet earlier in your career… surprised

Perhaps so.
sometimes I misspell typo.

ok, so here is my view for what its worth.  helmets are almost certainly a really good idea.  i’m a big fan of personal freedom however and fully appreciate the fact that at present people are free to choose whether or not to wear them.  i’d not be at all happy if i was forced to wear one.  anyways just thought i’d pop my head above the parapet on this one.  I know from my park riding that there are a lot of dope riders who don’t rock one, not to mention pros. I just think that people will be scared off from saying anything against wearing a helmet after reading the miriad comments in their favour on this thread.

irrelavent comment:  those sandbox ones, dope!