The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Helmets..Yes or No?

Do you wear one or not?

I do..Didn`t used to until one day when I noticed that I was shredding a lot faster than I used to at the beginning or my days on the hill…

I wear a Giro 9.9 ...It`s light , warm and makes me feel a little safer.

I used to wear one everyday that I went up on the hill but once I started teaching I stopped wearing it at work but now I’m back to wearing it all the time.

There was a good article in the newspaper about do helmets really help or do they create their own damage.. I’m going to try and locate that article.

I wear a smith variant brim helmet and I love it.

I wear one.
I wanted to for my own safety and to promote safety on the hill.
Being a bit older than average rider on the hill, I think it is important to set an example…
That doesnt mean I’ve never snaked some kid on the hill, of course - or rode too close to a beginner - or been going too fast in a slow area… or, or or…
But Yes I wear a helmet, my first helmet was a Giro nine.

But the last 2 I’ve had were R.E.D helmets, because I’d rather support Burton’s products than… well, I dont even know who Giro is.

I like removable ear pieces.
I woudl like to incorporate some audio, but I dont know if Id use it, or if it would be frustrating.
I enjoy riding with others and I enjoy the conversation etc.

I don’t wear one, but I am open to persuasion.

boman - 16 June 2009 12:21 AM

Come here and let me hit you with a stick…. rolleyes

Dave99 - 16 June 2009 01:14 AM

that should work!!

Just Giver - 16 June 2009 01:22 AM

that should work!!

I dunno, I doubt I would come if I knew I was going to be hit with a stick. haha and there is a good chance you would be hit back- helmet or not lol

boman - 16 June 2009 01:52 AM

that should work!!

I dunno, I doubt I would come if I knew I was going to be hit with a stick. haha and there is a good chance you would be hit back- helmet or not lol

You`d hit me for trying to do you a favour?....

It`s on.. The Australian/Canadian stickfighting war begins..

I put my vote on the Canadian to win!!!

Speaking of getting hit in the head with a stick.
riding in the trees without a helmet or goggles is just asking to get hit in the head with a stick.
Goggles will help if getting poked in the eye with a stick…
a Helmet will help if getting hit in the head with a stick…

Of course we wear goggles to protect us from the elements.
A helmet is a warmth thing, since most all of our heat escapes through our head, and it keeps out hair dry… protection from the elements - just like goggles.

I started wearing a hemet in Japan and haven’t looked back. I think it’s warmer thean a beanie.

Dave99 - 16 June 2009 02:33 AM

that should work!!

Haha i dont understand how hitting me with a stick is doing me a favor, recommending that i wear a helmet is doing me a favor, hitting with a stick is just hitting with a stick.

lol let the stickfighting begin…....

(ps. I understand that a hit in the head would demonstrate how a helmet would help, my point is that if I knew the hit was coming, then having a helmet is the second response, the better one is to avoid being hit in the first place.  This is not totally applicable to wearing a helmet when snowboarding- i’m sure you can figure out why)

boman - 16 June 2009 06:35 AM
Dave99 - 16 June 2009 02:33 AM

that should work!!

Haha i dont understand how hitting me with a stick is doing me a favor, recommending that i wear a helmet is doing me a favor, hitting with a stick is just hitting with a stick.

lol let the stickfighting begin…....

(ps. I understand that a hit in the head would demonstrate how a helmet would help, my point is that if I knew the hit was coming, then having a helmet is the second response, the better one is to avoid being hit in the first place.  This is not totally applicable to wearing a helmet when snowboarding- i’m sure you can figure out why)

And that is why we should all quit snowboarding. To avoid the whole possibility of getting hit in the head thing.

Once I started wearing a helmet I loved it.
Beanies were warm enough but too warm, at the end of a run they would be all sweaty and then cold, with a helmet it keeps me at the right temp, venting is my friend.

RED trace, I just put built in earphones/pads that have a button to mute it, I keep them turned down so I can hear what’s going on around me. I also have my iPhone earphones tucked up into my helmet so I can answer the phone and keep boarding at the same time.

My helmet got stolen from work when I was teaching. I guess that was my fault for never wearing it and keeping it in the office.

Haven’t worn a helmet in recent times. Love my Audex beanie.

I should wear a helmet for big moutain and trees. I never quite feel safe without it.

I was talking before about a study about the importance and safety of helmets..

Here is an article I found
http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet