The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

laptops for your pictures and movies

Hey guys n girls

Has anyone got any suggestions for new laptops. For my study any old laptop would do the job but something that has some pretty sweet photo and video editing software wouldn’t hurt!

I keep getting told to go Apple, what’s everyone got and or recommend?

Cheers

I’m in the same situation as you. My old laptop (Sony Vaio) died recently. It was actually a really good laptop and kept me happy for almost five years.

I am also feeling the pressure from those around me to get a MacBook Pro. To be honest, I have only heard good things about the MacBooks, and the times I did play around with it were quite impressive. I’m almost convinced MacBook is the way to go, which I’m sure others will tell you too.

Getting an apple is the trendy thing to do. I’m sure you can get a pc for cheaper. Nowadays, windows 7 and the apple os are pretty similar.
As for photo and video editing software, with a mac you get iphoto and imovie which are pretty good. If you want something better then you need to buy the software separately.
I think the thing for you to do is to go to a shop and play around on both a pc and apple, then choose the one which you like better.
Be wary of the cheapest laptops in the line though. I can’t speak for apple but with the last laptop i got (for my wife for work), the specs while looking good on paper, sucked. It took 5 minutes to load! I had to spend a couple of hours deleting all the crap the manufacturer had put on it before it would run ok.

i have always had windows and it’s been okay but there’s just so much shit and applications that i never use, it takes so long to load up once you put on anti-virus & all the other crap my LG came with that i don’t know what it does or why it’s even there

Everytime i jump onto my old mans Mac it seems like i’m living in the past. might have to get one, time to lash out and buy somethin trendy for a change!

The next step would be, are imovie and iphoto all good for a kook like me editing & puttin together little home made movies, or should i be buying additional software? and, no not that kinda home made movies… well not until the missus lets me wink

iMovie and iPhoto should be all you need for basic stuff. I really want Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut Pro - both amazing professional programs but very pricey.

thanks for the advice, that makes it a little cheaper not having to buy extra programs, more money to be spent on other stuff i could probably do without!

Im a big fan of Dell’s. We have a Dell desktop and I have a Studio 15 laptop. Works great for my photos/vids.

Software wise, I use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and if I’m going simple I just use Window’s Movie Maker, but getting more into it and spending more time I use Corel Video Studio. Using Corel I created this vid:

I recently made the switch with my home comp. (Got a 24” mac for my bday last year)  I will not be buying a windows base machine for a loooooong time.  I did splurge and got CS4 but I do alot of photo editing.

If you looking for a good cheap program try http://www.picnik.com/ it has a few really good basic editing features and its internet based which means it does not matter where in the world you are or if you have your machine or someone elses as long as there is internet you can play away.

First thing you need to decide though is what you need the comp for… is it really just for word and to check you email or are you going to need to invest in something that is going to be good for graphics and editing.

Research before you dive in.

I love Mac but not afraid of PC, and have to walk many customers through the process of getting videos to play on PC by downloading software and codecs never had to help a Mac user.

Video - It’s what saved Apple, in congunction with Hollywood players they developed systems to create digital video compression. ie:Quicktime
iMovie and Final cut Express aren’t that expensive plus there are good free programs available for simple editing and conversion for net uploading.

Photoshop elements does a fine job and isn’t overpriced.

The only reason I would buy PC is you can get 3 or 4 computers for the price of Macbook Pro. I’ve just upgraded from a 5yo Powerbook that still works fine. I just wanted a Solid State Drive so I can work from the field/mountain. And it’s costing $40 a week and upgrade whenever inc. insurance.

Buy a PC and you can throw it away when it stops working and buy a new one.
Buy a Mac and it wont stop working, it will handle future needs for years, is a pleasure to use and will run PC software.

What spaz said.

We run Macs in our place and have very few problems.

We use Aperture 3 and Photoshop for editing and storing photos, really happy with both programs.

Also have Final cut, can also highly recommend.

As the saying goes, ‘Once you go Mac, you never go back’

Go Mac. So easy and reliable. Especially when trying programs out, with PCs I found I would try a couple of programs, uninstall them, try another and then need to reformat cos it was running like poop. With a mac, it’s as simple as dragging the unwanted app to the trash. Way easier to find the perfect application for you. I will never go back.

I visited the new Apple store in Sydney (Bondi Junction). The guys in there are so helpful and the store is amazing. I’m completely sold on the MacBook Pro and I can’t wait to get my hands on it! The iPad looks pretty slick too.

I’m sold on it as well. Now to find the spare cash…

My wonderful, beautiful wife came home to me today with an ipad for Azz, so stoked !!!!!

Awesome grin

I’m eyeballing the new MacBookPro.
Rumor is that they will upgrade it again in a couple months.
I go to this website frequently:
http://www.macrumors.com

They have a very helpful buyers guide that can help when deciding WHEN to buy any new Apple product.