The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Medial ligament tear

Gamblor - 24 July 2012 01:03 PM

my physio told me ice for 20 minutes off for 20 and repeat.

best thing to do though is to do exactly what your physio tells you. one more vote here for doctors sucking! Last time I went it went like this:
doc: How did you hurt yourself?
me: snowboarding
doc: ok, just stop snowboarding and it will get better
me: kthanksbai

edit: i forgot: positive vibes to you dude. Hope you get better pronto!

Naughty Gamblor! still snowboarding I see hahaha

CRACKERS - 30 July 2012 02:29 PM
Coop3 - 29 July 2012 04:45 AM

Well I can tell you at the 12 month check my surgeon said I was 0 (he’s probably right too as it was crap before hand lol). Hard to compare as I completely ruptured the ACL, MCL, LCL. and meniscofemoral ligaments so that always complicates timelines a little.. The posterior cruciate was the only one left attached. As for my timelines I set myself goals to keep me motivated with the rehab. I was off crutches 7 days post op (well actually before but don’t tell my surgeon wink back in the gym two weeks post op. I had two distinct goals one to hike Kosci in the first six months and second to be back on the snow in under 12 months. The hike was awesome (exactly six months post op but I was back hiking every weekend 3 months post op) and I was back on the board (albeit very nervous and felt like a beginner again) in just under 12 months. The knee would have been fine sooner but that was my first op to hit the slopes.
So keep at it and keep motivated. But yes most importantly look after it. Whilst I set about to achieve a lot quickly with my knee, I never put it in a situation it couldn’t cope with too soon.

Sounds like you really went through the wars. My injury is nothing compared to that. do you still wear some sort of brace all the time when riding? you seem to really know your stuff as well.

My swelling has gone down heaps now. The knee is really stiff though, both on the medial ligament and under/around the knee cap.  I still can’t straighten my leg without forcing it (gently), by that I mean, if i sit with my legs flat on the ground, the injured one sits up about 15cm off the ground under the knee even when I relax completely, even when I push it down I cant get it past 5-10cm without it starting to hurt too much. Bending the other way is worse, if I lift my knee up and pull my heel in towards my arse, i can touch the heel of my right leg to my bum cheek but the left I cant get within about 30cm. It hurts like crazy if I go too far that way. I see the physio again tmrw so Ill see what he says about that as well.

Ah its all good. Wasn’t a bad fall (skiing at the time I know I know) just awkward and with a whole lotta momentum

I wore a simple brace last year (tried taping one day but I didn’t like the restriction so I ripped it straight off). I doubt ill wear my brace this year. I don’t use it for anything else (actually post move Im not sure where it is lol).

As for my background I may have been a chiro with a heavy focus on sports injuries in a previous life wink (retired from the profession a while back due to various reasons). Im actually considering another masters at present (might leave it for another year or two with baby plans wink in clinical physiology to do sports exercise rehab stuff grin We’ll see. I promised myself Id never do another masters so I might need to psych myself up a bit lol

I tore my right medial almost completely in March sparring when someone kicked the outer aspect of my knee joint caving the whole lot in sideways. SUUUPER painful and took ages to heal.. It’s still only around 75% rage

I’m 35 so I don’t heal very fast anymore. As everyone else said, just take it easy and follow the advice of your physio or sports doc. One thing that may help is if you go see a sports medicine clinic that is used by footballers. They get over their injuries really fast and those places often have some really good rehab programs and gyms.

Good luck mate!

One of statics friends went snowboarding for the first time the other day and tore their Medial Ligament, must be something going around!

I have my suspicions about football recoveries as to exactly what is involved.  I’m not sure non invasive recovery techniques have evolved so much that they are able to recover in the amazing time periods they do these days to be honest.  What I’m saying is don’t use a footballer or other pro athlete as a yardstick to gauge how long your recovery will take, they have a lot more help.

Very true that Northern

Mind you I can see where he’s coming from in the sense that you want to see someone who specializes or sees a lot of these types of injuries. You certainly wouldn’t want to stroll through the door of any old practice to find they specialize in geriatrics and pelvic floor issues lol. The physios at North Sydney orthosports (the orthos wing of the mater hospital) are one Id recommend..very very good.

Coop3 - 01 August 2012 02:59 AM

Very true that Northern

Mind you I can see where he’s coming from in the sense that you want to see someone who specializes or sees a lot of these types of injuries. You certainly wouldn’t want to stroll through the door of any old practice to find they specialize in geriatrics and pelvic floor issues lol. The physios at North Sydney orthosports (the orthos wing of the mater hospital) are one Id recommend..very very good.

North Sydney is a bit out of my way smile. I just go to the local physio and sometimes to the physio that sponsors my team, baymed physio, there a often dragons players in there so I assume they have something to do with them as well. its just a bit too far out of my way so I don’t go to them that often.

antisense - 31 July 2012 08:18 AM

I tore my right medial almost completely in March sparring when someone kicked the outer aspect of my knee joint caving the whole lot in sideways. SUUUPER painful and took ages to heal.. It’s still only around 75% rage

I’m 35 so I don’t heal very fast anymore. As everyone else said, just take it easy and follow the advice of your physio or sports doc. One thing that may help is if you go see a sports medicine clinic that is used by footballers. They get over their injuries really fast and those places often have some really good rehab programs and gyms.

Good luck mate!

thanks mate! 35 aint even old!

out of interest, how long was it until you could start bending your knee completely? or keep it completely straight?