The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

tips on maintaining physical fitness during a season.

I have been boarding for about 2 weeks straight now and I’m really starting to feel it.

Aside from bruises, a corked muscle and a little bit of whiplash my body is feeling quite stiff.

Do you have any tips on maintaining fitness? Any particular stretches that would work well, when to stretch? I’ve never done a season before so I’m CLUELESS!

I’ve not done a season but general fitness/recovery methods should apply.

*Stretching is important before and after strenuous activity. Just don’t overdo static stretches before actually warming up. At a minimum you should probably be stretching your calves/hamstrings/glutes/quads. Probably doesn’t hurt to keep your neck limbered up in case of a fall.
*Make sure you are eating enough and try to make it healthy food as your body needs fuel for recovery.
*Drink plenty of water
*Get plenty of sleep
*Heat and/or Ice injuries
*Compression garments may/may not help
*Swimming is also a good for low impact recovery/fitness

One tip that I found helped during the seasons I did (and it is much easy when you are living on snow), is to get up a bit earlier, have a really hot shower or even a bath if your super keen….then do half an hour of stretching. It makes a big difference over a whole season. Also there used to be a guy at Perisher that you could ring and he would bring his massage table to your hotel room and give you a remedial massage as well. It wasn’t too pricey either and could be worth doing once or twice!

Also….don’t be shy to do a few half days or even take a rest day! your doing a season, you don’t have to feel like you must do every day!

Stretching is key!!! Before you start, and if you stop for a long lunch, probably need to warm up again before going back out. You will have cooled down a lot just sitting there for half hour. As drc said, plenty of water too. Get a good nights rest, and if you can, have a rest day. You don’t want to over exert yourself.

yeah if the body is getting a bit sore, just do a half day here and there….you’ll find your body will adjust to it pretty quickly. I know I’m possibly banging my head against a brick wall here - but drink less! Drinking does everything wrong to your body when you’re aiming to ride day in and day out. Makes you pee so you get dehydrated and promotes swelling on all those sore spots!

my 2c - what the others said about stretching is also good advice.

Awesome!! Thanks for all the tips smile the hot shower and stretching sounds great too!

Ash you are in a very unique situation where you are not even having forced rest days (ie work!)

Besides everything above my advise is don’t push yourself! You don’t have to do “one more run”.

Its not the end of the world if you do two runs and come back in!

Make sure you drink large amounts of water. It is very easily to get dehydrated when spending lots of time riding. Dehydration will make you fatigue and burn out a lot quicker

Invest in a foam roller.

Your legs will thank you.

CRACKERS - 23 July 2012 11:51 AM

One tip that I found helped during the seasons I did (and it is much easy when you are living on snow), is to get up a bit earlier, have a really hot shower or even a bath if your super keen….then do half an hour of stretching. It makes a big difference over a whole season. Also there used to be a guy at Perisher that you could ring and he would bring his massage table to your hotel room and give you a remedial massage as well. It wasn’t too pricey either and could be worth doing once or twice!

Hey Ash

I contacted my mate and asked her about the remedial massage guy…..its Greg from Snowline ski hire (at smiggs).
Just in case you get beat up so much you need a hand! haha

CRACKERS - 24 July 2012 11:50 AM
CRACKERS - 23 July 2012 11:51 AM

Hey Ash

I contacted my mate and asked her about the remedial massage guy…..its Greg from Snowline ski hire (at smiggs).
Just in case you get beat up so much you need a hand! haha

Wicked thanks!

Also cheers for the tips everyone! Im trying to take it easy haha!

Tobi - 24 July 2012 05:25 AM

Invest in a foam roller.

Your legs will thank you.

foam rolling you say, never heard of it, I’ll look into it now!

Foam rolling is great, it’s pretty much self massage and takes away any knots, tension in the muscles by massaging it out.

Take a look here for product - http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/foam-rollers/

And watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

It hurts at first but your legs and muscles feel amazing afterwards. If you do it every day for say 10 mins each night you’ll feel great.

i live by my foam roller, keeps my muscles knot free for crossfit.

interesting!! Sounds like something I need.