The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What to do with a corked muscle.

Hi Boardworldians,

So I corked a muscle in my right butt cheek the other day while riding, today I thought it had gone but I fell while getting off a lift right onto the cork and it really REALLY hurt!! I was a wimp and got downloaded off the lift.

My question to you is what should I do?

I own tiger balm that’s the only kinda deep heat stuff I own.

Is it worth seeing a therapist to massage it out or should I do a home job on it?

Cheers guys!

Ash

bit of both would probably be good!

Hey Ash, here is some info, may be a little late, but will share anyway grin hope it helps

1 - Stop your activity!!!
Rest the injured leg.
Use icepacks every two hours, applied for 15 minutes.
Bandage the corked muscle firmly with an elasticized bandage.
Elevate the injured limb above heart height whenever possible.
Avoid exercise, heat, alcohol and massage in the first 48 hours, as these can all exacerbate swelling.

If it is still no good after a couple days might wanna see a physio

thanks for that Blizz! I ended up hitting the park again after the pain died down, oops, I’m going to take a break tomorrow and I’ve hopped off the mountain for now.

I’ll see if I can find a bandage!

I’ve added tiger balm to it, which probably wasn’t the best idea considering I’m supposed to avoid heat. I’ll get the ice onto it now.

blizzard_22 - 23 July 2012 03:53 AM

Elevate the injured limb above heart height whenever possible.

This advise cracks me up - not you Blizz but the advise in general. Sometimes its hard to get certain areas above the head. Most people cork their thigh!

Good luck with that one Ash wink

Coop off her own back has just backed up my suggestion of Arnica cream. You should be able to get it at the chemist in the perisher centre. And the bandage from there as well.

I think the Arnica is better for it than Tiger balm.

Massage in with a very light touch. Then put the compression bandage on over it.

You could also put some padding over the bruised area to give it more compression.

If you have Skins or similar wear them overnight and during the day even when not riding. May be better than the bandage.

LOL yeh I didn’t really read what was corked hahaha that would be interesting

tried to wrap a compression bandage around the area until I realised it starts at the base of my butt cheek! that didn’t work, but I’ve got my Arnica cream, can you use that and ice? or one or the other? I’ll be sitting on it to compress it haha.

You can use both Ash, but I guess it really depends on how painful it is. Also, you are supposed to rest until healed… so it may take a while for you to recover!

Ha! Yes envisaging some crazy yoga pose as she elevates her butt above her head.

Blizz’s advise is good along with the Arnica Oz suggested. Ice and Arnica at the same time is fine. You do need to rest it though unfortunately as Blizz said. Its fairly rare but occasionally there can be complications (especially if you use and abuse it whilst healing). If a large cork its probably best to get it checked by the physio to be sure. They can also advise on stretches and further treatment especially once the haematoma starts to heal.