The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photo feedback and Critique

the best wb is the one that looks best to you. If you want accurate colours, then think back to when you took that shot and how the snow was. If you want to go all artistic then go for some funky colours.

you can get good colours by setting the exposure off the sky too. but since you like shooting on auto then don’t worry about it. You can set the exposure comp plus 2/3 if you’re finding your snow too gray. but that shot you put up with the auto settings looks nice.
if you need more compact flash cards I might have a couple extra that I could sell.

thanks for the comments , have gone and ordered an 8gb card and will look at trying a few manual settings at the comp this week..heres a crop i took from the photo, have not learnt (yet) how to crop and keep the proportions the same..but i am assuming there are no hard and fast rules regarding photo dimensions..or are there?

photo taken out east of turoa last sun 10 cm fresh….

what software are you using to crop? usually there’s a little checkbox for ‘keep aspect ratio’

That said, the best crop you can do is when you take the photo - think about how you frame it

and if you were looking for comments about your pic:
it feels awkward with that ridge coming from right to left in the pic. taking it more to the left would have been nicer I think. Also, it looks like the bottom of a bowl and not very steep in the middle of the pic. That kind of lets the photo down.
the single track is nice though

So haven’t posted any photo’s lately, but we have not been lucky enough to get a great deal of snow here in tassie!

Here’s a surfing shot i took yesterday.

Feel free to hack it to bits gamblor haha

nice one maxwell. let me just go out back to sharpen the knives he he he

Too bad his arm is slightly blocking his face. I’d like to see more room on the right, so that we can see a bit more of his trail. It feels a little cramped there. I don’t shoot surfing so I could be wrong but I think this is a tad early. a second or two later and he would be a bit higher in his turn and his body position a bit more dynamic.
the lighting is really cool and the background is pretty sick.

Good critique Gamblor, A moment later and his spray would be throwing. It may also be 2 stops under but this could be caused by the upload, monitor etc.. It’s also a little noisy, did you crop the image or use a higher ISO Max? What size lens?

Thanks guys.

This shot is cropped slightly, i have a habit of cropping the majority of my images.

For this i used the canon 80-200mm f2.8L, i think my settings were as follows: 1/1600th shutter speed, ISO 400, aperture f5.6.

Do you mean the noise in the sky? I applied a graduated filter in lightroom to darken the top of the image as it was a little bright and detracted from the foreground too much so i think that is why there is a bit of noise there.  Noise reduction in lightroom doesnt usually work to well for me, do you guys use any other software for this?

Hoping to get alot more surfing shots this summer so its a great help.

Cheers again for your comments!

are you using lightroom 2 or 3? noise reduction in 3 is great. before I used noise ninja

are you exporting to srgb?

I’m currently using lightroom 2, might have to upgrade then!

Yep exporting to srgb

yeah the noise reduction in LR3 is great. but to tell you the truth, the noise in your pic didn’t bother me. The action is clean

hey hey guys few first time posts.

“unknown rider” Mt Selwyn Snowfeilds

“dean Hinchey (england) Mt Selwyn Snowfeilds

“unkown ride” Mt Selwyn snowfeilds

Bah Fucking stupid shitty lack of resize.
epic fail on my behalf sorry boys :(

f@tony - 23 September 2010 10:39 AM

No problems, its fixed and duplicate deleted

http://s85.photobucket.com/home/o0Rayner0o/index

i give up ive brought shame on myself and my family theres my damn photobucket account link lol.

C&C please

No problems, its fixed and duplicate deleted

{img src="https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k77/o0Rayner0o/IMG_3392.jpg" width="800"}
is the example of how to do it.  Just replace the { with <

Nice shots as well

weird,  they are comming up really under exposed to me now… may be the shitty monitor im working with.