The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whats with the avatar…

After two days of Thredbo being closed because of strong winds and me giving ski patrol one of my headcams to use over those days, I reviewed the footage and knew the best part of the mountain would be GCB. I sent my photographer mate ahead to spot this drop but couldn’t hear him through my helmet and him being down wind. When I knew he was in position and ready to shoot I made sure my cameras were recording and dropped it. I never expected it to be so big and no-one I’ve spoken to has ever seen it like that. I cleared the entire bowl and landed almost on the flat, tweeking my elbow.
The most epic part happened seconds later, before I had stopped to look at the massive drop I just did the entire thing collapsed with a different friend standing on it!
I stitched my avatar version later that morning, and just recently the photographer put this more accurate version together.

Courtesy of ACE.

I’ll post the video later.

Rick0889 - 16 April 2010 04:44 PM
snowslider - 16 April 2010 02:25 PM

I’ve always liked pics of trails or roads that seem to go on endlessly. this is a picture of train tracks that I crossed when hiking on the Appalachian trail not too far from home. I’ve never hiked the whole trail, but I’ve spent many days on it.
I think it represents adventure, future and progress and it makes me want to ditch everything and follow along it’s path.
It’s like it is telling me “I’m going somewhere, where are you going?”

I like this!! smile good speech too haha

Thanks!

The Appalachian Trail is kind of a national treasure, but I’m not sure how much others outside of my region know about it…
Here are some very interesting facts about it:
It is the nation’s longest marked footpath, at approximately 2,178 miles. (In the US)
It traverses eight national forests.
It touches 14 states.
Houses more than 2,000 occurrences of rare, threatened, endangered, and sensitive plant and animal species at about 535 sites.
Lowest elevation: 124 feet – near the Trailside Museum and Zoo at Bear Mountain, New York
Highest elevation: 6,625 feet – on Clingmans Dome in Tennessee
More than 10,000 people have reported hiking the length of the Trail.
It takes approximately 5 million footsteps to walk the entire length of the Trail.

So, my brother -in-law decided to take the summer and hike it one year. It generally takes someone 4 months do to so, but people say you should reserve 6 months. The climate change and seasons that you choose to do it, is something that is chosen carefully, but dependent if you are hiking north or south.
The people you meet even when only spending a few days on the trail are interesting to say the least, and they come from all walks of life (no pun intended), and are all ages too.

Thought i’d kick this thread up again as i have changed mine and a few others have. And also for the new members who have now got avatars, whats the story behind them??
My new one is me riding the buller horse on a day when no lifts were open due to crap weather. gotta make ur own fun cheese

I have been doing a photoshop course and had to do a magazine cover as an assignment, so there you go grin

My bro came down for his yearly week at Thredbo, I had a free pass through work… so I went there on the Monday night, crashed on their couch and then went riding the next day. First time down high noon, I said I’ll do the jump… so they got out the cameras and I got this. My bro went next and winded himself by punching himself in the stomach lol.

2004 in Niseko - hiked the peak with some other dude and rode down the sweet sweet powder.  Near the bottom he suggested we take a few shots. He actually stuffed up the zoom when taking pics of me, however this very pic turned out to be just right smile

one of the only action shots from my season in whistler and by far my favourite.. riding under a fallen tree on outerlimits off crystal chair.

mine is a pic of me from Japan like some others..

I shopped it, but with picasa 3 lol. increased the saturation and made a focal blur around me…

Mine is the iconic Bubble O’ Bill need I say more

I have also updated my avatar so I will repost what mine is!

This was standing just to the left (when you are looking down the mountain) of the restaurant at Eagles Nest. Just before I was propsed grin changed it cause it has special meaning (awww getting all soppy, sorry guys!)

Just Giver - 12 April 2010 08:02 AM

My avatar is of mine and Jeremy’s little puppy border collie x kelpie named Chilli.

such a cute dog smile

mine says me all over!!
japinese anime lover, bit of a blondie, always thinking to hard and pretty eye’s.
haha yep thats me lol

mine, is just a pic of my Burton Twin 157 ‘07..
with couple of cool stickers thanx BoardWorld and STM

finney - 17 June 2010 12:44 PM

one of the only action shots from my season in whistler and by far my favourite.. riding under a fallen tree on outerlimits off crystal chair.

Your avatar reminds me of a beautiful week of riding Stowe in Vermont.
This could have been taken in what they call the “riverbed” once the creek freezes over - in the woods, locals know about it… It’s ridable, and there’ s many small waterfall drops, and some trees to duck under just like it appears here.

It’s simple really… Scissors cuts Paper, Paper covers Rock, Rock crushes Lizard, Lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes Scissors, Scissors decapitates Lizard, Lizard eats Paper, Paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes Rock, and as it always has Rock crushes Scissors.