The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Short board or longboards?

whats everyones favorite board styles? need to get a new deck
i love the manuverability and fun feel of a penny
but you struggle to beat the cruisy feeling you get on a longboard
pros and cons maybe? help decide?
and go!

I have a Globe Bantam and I get frustrated by how limiting it is in the skatepark because it’s just so fast and smooth that it’s almost slippery. I love the feeling of it on the streets though, so much smoother than a normal skateboard. On the road, it’s too bumpy on a normal skateboard for my liking. Cruising is just so relaxing.

Although, I personally prefer normal skateboards just because the tricks you can do on them are so cool. I kind of wish I never got used to the speed and smoothness of a cruiser just so I’d like normal skateboards more but all well.

I’d love to try a longboard and freebord one day though, those look so awesome.

i feel your pain mate, my penny nickel is on its last legs half of the tail snapped off
i can’t go back to normal skating, so im just wondering wether or not i want to just replace it or go for a nice longboard

Aw man, it snapped?! I can’t imagine my board getting snapped, it’s so thick and heavy.

Well, what are you interested in doing with your board? Cruising, hillbombing, as a mode of transportation or something else?

hahaha yea pretty unfortunate, turns out they arent made for 2 people

cruising/mode of transport is what i really need
so automatically i think longboard
but i like having the manouverability to spin around on the spot
plus i would have to learn a new style of riding

Oh wow, I’ll keep that in mind HAHA

Is portability an important factor? Is hillbombing something you’d want to try/do? I would go with a non-plastic cruiser if longboards are too big and if you want some manoeuvrability too.

portability not so much, where i live there are footpaths everywhere so i just board around, hell no to the hillbombing
racing down hill on a road in a singlet and shorts is just stupid, but in saying that i have nothing but respect for the people with enough balls to do it
i thought of that but i kind of want one of the extremes like a my penny nickel or a longboard over a metre

I know what you mean. Seeing pictures of people with road rashes down half their body because they were hillbombing without a shirt on makes me shiver.

What do you mean by extreme?

i mean the absolute shortest board or the absolute longest that i could easily get my hands on

I think a cruiser would suit you more since you don’t plan to hillbomb.

im thinking thats a good option

If you want something that is manoeuvrable, like a Penny, have a look at some of the Drifter range. They have some shorter boards with wedge risers that increase the base plate angle that make the turning circle a lot smaller.
Arbor did the Bug which is a great board, slightly bigger than a standard deck with reverse hanger trucks. Good for cruising and craving.
Have a look at the bug and let me know what you think, then I can give you more ideas after that.

Trust the skate expert smile