The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buying new boots

I am planning on buying some new boots and I’m an intermediate-advanced boarder with a 151 Burton troop with some salmon bindings.

Any suggestions on a boot for me?

Get the ones that fit you bets, doesn’t matter if they are $5 or $500 if they fit you, you’ll love them.  Go to a boot fitter and try lots and lots, also take your bindings with you to check they fit in them as well.  But first consideration is fit and feel I think.

This article was written for the Setup section. Since the content is not up on the webiste yet, I will post it here for your benefit.

Boot Fitting

Author: Jeremy Sheridan

It is often said that boots are the most important part of your setup. Poorly fitted boots will cause pain and discomfort; this will limit the enjoyment you get out of snowboarding. A combination of research, knowing what to look for, and talking to an expert boot fitter, will ensure you buy the right boots for your foot shape and riding style.

Boots should feel: Comfortable, snug, and supportive, with no heel lift.

Your local snowboard store:

Any good snowboard store will have experienced boot fitting experts to help you make the right decision. Boot fitting is not an exact science; every foot shape is different. Staff members at your local store are trained in determining different foot shapes and knowing how to fit them correctly. Most staff members have personally tested a lot of the boots, giving them first hand experience as to how they feel, how they flex, and how well the features work. Take advantage of this valuable resource and visit your local snowboard store.

Length:

Ignore what size shoes you wear; most snowboarders wear boots at least half a size smaller than their shoe size. Most people have feet of slightly different sizes; one foot can be up to half a size bigger than the other foot. This is perfectly normal, but you need to get your boots fitted according to the bigger foot.

Ideally, once your snowboard boots have broken in, the tips of your toes should graze the end of the boot when you wiggle them. You want them just touching the end when you stand straight, but with no pressure whatsoever. This ensures a perfectly snug fit; with no pain or pressure. When you flex your ankles and knees (the normal balanced body position for snowboarding), your toes naturally back away from the front of the boot.

However, all boots pack out – this is a fact. Boots will on average generate an extra half size in length. Keep this in mind when trying on boots in the store. What feels tight on your toes in the store, will not feel tight after seven days of riding.

In the store your toes should be at least touching the end of the boot when standing up. A bit of pressure on the front of your toes from the end of the boot is OK – almost ideal. Within a few days of riding, the boots will pack out and create room for your toes. You have to ask yourself the question – How much discomfort can you handle for a few days?

Obviously if you are only riding a couple of days a season you don’t want to buy boots that are putting pressure on your toes in the store; if you are only riding two days a season, they might take three years to pack out. Your time on the snow is precious, so your boots should be comfortable right from the start.

Conversely, if you are riding all season long, you need to make an allowance for the boots packing out; the boot should not feel perfect in the store. The boot needs to pack out first; this is how the size and shape will be for the life of the boot. For the first few days of the season your toes might be sore, but you will have perfectly fitting boots for the rest of the season. If you buy a boots that fit nicely (toes barely touching the end) in the store, when the boot does pack out, you will have spare room in the boot; this causes a variety of problems, including heel lift.

Just remember, you can always make your boot bigger, but you can never make them smaller. All good snowboard stores have tools and machines capable of generating room in your boots.

The table below is just a guide, but it should give you a basic idea of how the length of the boot should fit when standing up.

Days riding per season        How the boot should fit in the store
1-3                                     Toes just touching the end. Comfortable.
3-7                                     Toes touching the end. Slight pressure.
A few weeks                             A bit of pressure at the front of toes.
Every day                               Pressure at the front of toes. Not painful.

Overall fit:

Snowboard boots should feel snug over your whole foot – like a mirror image of your foot. You should have no (or very little) movement within the boot, especially around the ankle. At the same time you want your boot to be comfortable, with no pressure points. Remember: Snug and comfortable.

All foot shapes are different. Don’t limit your options because you want your boots to match your pants, or because you heard a particular brand was the best. The truth is there is no best brand; the best boot is the one that works for your foot shape and riding style. Listen to the boot fitter and try on all the boots he/she recommends.

Heel lift:

There is only one way to say this – heel lift is not good!

Heel lift is one of the key things to watch out for when trying on boots. Heel lift can cause a variety of serious problems, including pain and physical damage to your ankles and the surrounding areas. Snowboarding is a high energy sport; it is essential that you are locked in tightly to your equipment.

The only way to eliminate heel lift is to buy boots that work specifically for your foot shape. It is important to have your feet assessed by a trained boot fitter; he or she will be able to look at your foot shape and determine the boots that will work best for your feet. There are boots and features made specifically for narrow ankles and heels; no one knows this better than a trained and experienced boot fitter.

Continued…

Heat molding:

These days nearly all good boots come with heat moldable liners. This allows the boots to mold to the exact shape of your feet. Your local snowboard store has machines made specifically for heating your boots to the correct temperate for heat molding; another great reason to visit your local snowboard store.

Flex pattern:

All boots have a particular flex pattern and have been designed for different abilities and riding styles. Flex patterns range from very soft to very stiff; it is important to buy a boot with a flex pattern that suits your weight, ability, and riding style.

A softer boot allows for more movement in the ankle joint, but it is also less responsive than a stiffer boot. Generally softer boots are better for beginners, as the boot provides more forgiveness (room for error). Having a greater range of movement in the ankle also has advantages for snowboarders with a playful, jib-oriented (freestyle) style; it allows them to tweak their stance and place more pressure on the nose and tail of their snowboards for presses and added style. The disadvantage of having a softer boots is the lack of response; this means you need to make large body movements to transfer energy to the snowboard, making it unsuitable for most freeriders. Softer boots would also be unsuitable for those with ankle problems, as they don’t offer good support. 

A stiffer boot provides support and response, but doesn’t allow for as much ankle movement as a softer boot. Stiffer boots are generally preferred by powerful riders and/or freeriders (big mountain, carving, powder, trees etc). Freeriders need response in their setup, as they are travelling at high speeds and need to make quick decisions; they need quick energy transfer from their body movements to their snowboards. The stiffer the boot is, the more response it provides. Stiffer boots would be unsuitable for beginners or riders with a jib-oriented style.

The trick is matching boots to your riding style; this is again where your boot fitters experience and knowledge comes into play. Just like all riders have different styles, so too the boots have different flex patterns. You need to ask yourself honestly – how do I ride? And what do I enjoy? Most snowboarders ride all over the mountain and enjoy many different aspects of snowboarding; a boot with a medium flex pattern would be the best choice here, as it offers the best of both worlds. Tell your boot fitter exactly how you like to ride, and he/she will help you find a boot with the right flex pattern for your weight, ability, and riding style.

Continued…

Footbeds:

The footbeds which come standard in most snowboard boots provide only minimal arch support. If you want the best possible boot fit, you have to invest in a pair of footbeds. A properly fitted footbed provides support, stability, and comfort. They reduce many boot fit problems, and enhance rider performance.

There are two types of after market footbeds: out of the box and custom molded. The out of the box type is a better option than the standard footbeds in your snowboard boot. You can buy these from any good snowboard store. However, there is no substitute for a custom molded footbed made by an expert boot fitter.

The custom molded type produces a footbed with a mirror image of your foot; this provides not only comfort and support, but excellent board control. They stabilise the foot by cupping the heel and supporting the arch. Custom molded footbeds also assist in lower leg alignment. The footbeds place your feet in the neutral position – aligning your knees and hips, taking enormous pressure of these joints. These are important points to consider in regards to your long term health.

If you want to invest in a pair of footbeds, it is essential you visit your local snowboard store and have your feet assessed by an expert boot fitter.

Are there any opinions out there about insisting that a rider use the same company for boot and binding?
Of course they are meant to fit together, Salomon boots with Salomon bindings, Burton boots with Burton bindings, Northwave boot with Drake bindings.
What about 32 boots? or those new Celsius boots that look pretty cool.
BTW has anyone seen those or tried them yet?

(I use 32 and Burton I think they fit nicely)

Are there certain companies that cater to a specific type of foot; like thin, fat, big, small, female, male?

That article was really helpful once I start trying some on but I need to know what companies are good to start with, so I’m not having to try on like 200 pairs of boots.

Like I have small, thin feet but I need a lot of support in the arch area.

That is a good question.
I have a bit of a wider foot, and Ive found that Burton and 32 work well for me.
I never felt comfortable in Northwave, but it has been a few years since I have tried any Northwave boots on.

32 boots have a very large toe box, so with your narrow feet they may not work for you.
Try some on any way though as they are a great boot company.
that is about all I can share my experience with.
There are many other boot companies.

i think vans burton and 32 make the best boots going around…but again, comes down to comfort…but if you are looking to start at some certain brands try them

What area do you live, so a good shop can be found for you.

I live in Whistler but I am moving to Sydney and that’s where I will be buying boots.. thanks for the tips..

Can you punch out snowboard boots like you can with ski boots?

if your coming to sydney then probably either http://www.stmonline.com.au or www.snowskierswarehouse.com.au
their sites say the addresses of the actual shops

cmat - 16 June 2009 02:31 AM

if your coming to sydney then probably either http://www.stmonline.com.au or www.snowskierswarehouse.com.au
their sites say the addresses of the actual shops

haha funny you should say stm since that’s where I will most likely be getting them because I know a couple people who work there.

I bet you can get a better deal in Whistler right now, as it is the end of the season… whereas when you move to Sydney it willbe the beginning of the season and prices will be back up to retail…
Of course I suppose you can get a pair of 2010 boots, if that excites you, but I would go for the better deal.

I will be buying the boots at the end of Australia’s snow season since i won’t be getting there until mid august

You asked if you can punch out the boots. What do you mean by this?