The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

JAPAN where to go?

Sup guys n gals. New member here. Myself and 2 mates are planning a trip to Japan and am looking for advice.

I am a beginner snowboarder, only been once to perisher (5yrs ago!), have 7 days in NZ booked this season so should get some practice in. Both my mates have done full seasons in Canada.

We are looking at going late December for around 3weeks. 2 weeks will be boarding hopefully and 1 week split between looking around Tokyo and 1 other city? Would like to see kyoto but its probably too much out of the way. any recommendations?

Last question is where should we go Hakuba? Niseko? Nozowa Onsen? We were looking at Hakuba but heard pow is better in Niseko so now not sure.

BTW we are all 25yrs so nightlife is a bonus. Is xmas time to early to go?

We will most likely be staying budget accom to keep the trip cheaper/longer.

Cheers! Thanks for any input.

December is very early in the season (especially Early/Mid December if you are planning 2-3 weeks) so you are going to need some luck with early falls.

Hokkaido got off to a fairly big/early start 2011/12. Honshu resorts were a little slower to kick off.

Having said that with snow it’s unpredictable. There were times in the season where Hakuba was getting smashed and Niseko was getting nothing and vice versa.

If possible delay the holiday until mid Jan/Early Feb. If that’s not possible do your week in Tokyo at the start of the trip and the snow after.

As for your other questions have a read through the numerous Japan planning threads and trip reports on this forum there’s a tonne of information in them.

Yeah, I agree with drc!!!!!

I remember scopin the cams in Niseko before we went in Feb 2009, and mid December there was still grass visible mid mountain!!!!!

I personally don’t think that ya can go wrong no matter where ya go either, as you WILL have a ball and you WILL want to return again!!!!!

Niseko (Hirafu Village) & The Hakuba Valley will have plenty of bars to get “Saked” at, but no real nightlife as such!!!!! You will be that knackered from ridin pow all day that a few “quiet ones” will be all that is required anyway!!!!!

Just remember too, the Japanese enjoy alcohol like no other culture does,  but they don’t appreciate loud piss heads!!!!!

Learn some basic Japanese, show respect to the locals and you will have the time of ya lives!!!!!

* I am returnin to Niseko 2013 myself for 2 weeks, with a week in Nozawa along with a couple of days here and there as well!!!!! I am amped!!!!! (Just incase ya couldn’t tell)

Oh, and welcome to Boardworld, robdog!!!!! Go intro yaself in the social section, have some fun and maybe win a prize or two while ya at it!!!!!  shaka

Mizu Kuma - 23 June 2012 12:15 AM

You will be that knackered from ridin pow all day that a few “quiet ones” will be all that is required anyway!!!!!

Just remember too, the Japanese enjoy alcohol like no other culture does,  but they don’t appreciate loud piss heads!!!!!

Learn some basic Japanese, show respect to the locals and you will have the time of ya lives!!!!!

+100000

Enjoy the Japanese culture, find one of the many beautiful places to eat and wash it down with a couple of Asahi’s while reliving the day’s shredding.

The loud piss head’s walking the streets waking everyone up at 2-3am weren’t popular with us I can only imagine what the locals were thinking.

Sounds awesome, thanks for the replies .

We were thinking of leaving about Dec 20th and could spend the first week looking around and the other 2 weeks boarding as its so early in the season. Might look at pushing it back till January if possible. We arn’t disrespectful drunken yobs so should get on fine with the locals.

Have fun dude!!!!!  cool grin

Christmas to New Years is the busiest time on the hill, lifts will be crowded and lines will be long.
Definitely try to delay it until after new years.

What are your dates?  As said above the xmas-NYE week is the busiest but in comparison to here i wouldnt call it that busy.  As in the amount of people on any given run is still quiet, just a few of the major lifts from town will have a line.  At the more popular ares like niseko and hakuba all of jan is pretty busy.  Mid december can be a gamble but if it pays off you get the epic pow and no one around, pretty good combo! 

If you are going to the lesser known mountains then the holidays arent such an issue but keep in mind accom prices and availability can be expensive and limited for that xmas week.

You’ll find that Transport to and from resorts/cities will be hectic, as the Japanese celebrate the new years period by visiting family/friends!!!!!