The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Truck investment

hey everyone,
I really need to invest in some new trucks as i bought a wider deck. I’ve started to ride a heaps wider deck (8.25) and my D2s just feel really small and insignificant with the board. They are heaps narrow and am getting alot of wheelbite. Anyways yeah i skate mostly tranny and i was just wondering if people had any recommendations for truck sizing and models cause i dont really get the difference between trucks cause i barely ever buy new ones.

Cheers

Well turbaned I like the fact that you are putting the right emphasis on good trucks. When it comes to 8.25 decks the sizes for trucks that I can recommend are as follows. 149 and 5.5 will be the offerings from the majority of companies. The other thing that you will need to look at is the size of the wheels you are skating. Independent and Destructo tend to have the bigger clearance whereas Thunder tends to be a bit lower.
If you currently have the D2 trucks and have been happy with them I would say stick to them. I have some of the lites in 5.5 with medium bones bushing on them and I love them for slashing around on.
I hope this has helped, fire some more questions if you need to.

In terms of wheels i am riding a set of Picture 54mm that i just got and am stoked with. I am happy with the D2s. The only problem is i dont think i have all the parts in my truck anymore. I had a bit of an accident haha. I like my trucks really loose and i was bombing a hill and i dunno what happened but the screw on the kingpin came off and I ate it hard haha. But yeah I think I lost some washers and stuff which sucks. Also tried out my mates board and 50-50s feel amazing on wider trucks so am looking to make an investment and probably not in destructo trucks again. Any model suggestions?

I’d go Indys mate. Not sure on what size though. They grind the best for sure. Only thing you need to do though is replace the rubbers straight away with Bones mediums. The Indy standard ones are shit, and crack straight away

does anyone know about ventrue trucks?? have been looking on a few skate stores and STM is selling them pretty cheap

I am skating a pair of ventures atm. Not sure which model they are though cos bought em second hand off a mate. They are good. But cant tell what they were like new cos they are pretty grinded and worn in.

I just had a look on the venture website and they have a new wider 5.8 size. Not sure what board sizes it is suppose to cover though. I would say go for the Indy’s and try SOFT bones bushings if you like loose trucks. How much do you weight?

Independent have change some of there trucks to use forged metal which is designed to grind better and be longer lasting. I haven’t tried these models but have heard better reports about these than some of the previous ones.

Venture make a quality product!!!!!

Yes Venture do make some good product, I remember having a set must be about 12-15 years I think and was really happy with the way they turned and all that. Other thing that I like with them is the fact that they have good clearance between the top of the hanger and the top of the kingpin. No hang up grinding there. Not sure what they skate like with bones bushings though.

Haha umm I’m like 55 kilos. Yeah will have a look at those indys. Am able to save up on skate gear now as I just had surgery on my back and am out for a while so gonna save up and get a fresh set up going for getting back into it

Pretty light then, so the soft bushings will suit you fine then for loosey goosey trucks. If you get the forged indy’s let me know what they are like.