The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Tattoo Thread

The southern cross isnt Australian

I’ve always wanted some sort of Australian tattoo, but I don’t think I’d ever get any logo or symbol, cause I know some people will always think it’s “bogan” or relate it to some other thing like the riots.

At one stage I was going to get “I love a sunburnt country” tattooed somewhere, but didn’t go through with it.

cabletieperformance - 15 June 2012 06:48 AM

True, in a literal sense - BUT in terms of nationalistic iconography it has well and truly been established as such. It’s the historically ingrained cultural symbol of the Southern Cross that many Australians identify with, not the star constellation itself.

CRACKERS - 14 June 2012 02:39 PM
blizzard_22 - 14 June 2012 01:43 AM

. . . my southern cross tatt, as much as people seem to judge people based on it.

. . . the way people have used that symbol now means it has negative thoughts automatically associated with it when people see it. . .

I’ve considered getting a Southern Cross tattoo BECAUSE it now “has negative thoughts automatically associated with it when [some] people see it” - as a kind of ‘F*CK YOU’ to the sanctimonious hypocrites who piously focus their ignorant prejudice on those who they accuse of exactly the same actions against others. No doubt the irony of their behaviour is completely lost on them.

I’m gonna get this!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 15 June 2012 06:19 AM
blizzard_22 - 15 June 2012 05:12 AM

Kat Von D’s work is amazing. I only have my southern cross tatt, as much as people seem to judge people based on it.

Unfortunately for you the way people have used that symbol now means it has negative thoughts automatically associated with it when people see it. Its kind of sad really, as its quite a good symbol I think.

Unfortunately you are right. As much as I hate it being associated to stupid shit like the cronulla riots.

I got it because to me it is Australian. I am proud to be Aussie. I just didn’t want to get the whole flag tattooed on my back! To me it is a reminder that no matter where I go, I will always remember where I am from.

You could always look in ya passport?????

Or ya wallet?? sew a made in Australia tag in ya undies??

LOL

chucky - 15 June 2012 08:01 AM

True, in a literal sense - BUT in terms of nationalistic iconography it has well and truly been established as such. It’s the historically ingrained cultural symbol of the Southern Cross that many Australians identify with, not the star constellation itself.

Exactly shaka

Mizu Kuma - 15 June 2012 09:55 AM

Ummmmm how do you know what my boxer shorts look like!!! LOL

They were hangin over the shower recess in Darks movie!!!!!

gulp

Considering its on our flag most people would associate it with Australia (And NZ)

PNG and a few others wish to disagree Mr. Lebron

chucky - 15 June 2012 08:12 AM

. . . my southern cross tatt, as much as people seem to judge people based on it.

. . . the way people have used that symbol now means it has negative thoughts automatically associated with it when people see it. . .

I’ve considered getting a Southern Cross tattoo BECAUSE it now “has negative thoughts automatically associated with it when [some] people see it” - as a kind of ‘F*CK YOU’ to the sanctimonious hypocrites who piously focus their ignorant prejudice on those who they accuse of exactly the same actions against others. No doubt the irony of their behaviour is completely lost on them.

To some extent I agree. I don’t like when people judge others because they have a tattoo or even because of what they wear. However I can hardly blame my friend at uni that said ’ I cross the road when I see a group of guys with that tatt’. He is Indian and has decided after getting heckled in that situation a few times, that he is going to go with the self preservation option and stay clear. I don’t know if that he is being sanctimonious in that situation. Should he not cross the road just in case he is misjudging them or cross the road and potentially stereotype people incorrectly but stay safe?

just after I wrote the first post on this there was a doco on Sbs that mentioned that the first feminists fighting for womans voting rights in Australia set up Australias first women’s magazine called the southern cross. Pretty interesting really.

TJswish - 15 June 2012 02:52 PM

PNG and a few others wish to disagree Mr. Lebron

Haha Classic