The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Tattoo Thread

Hi peeps,

Use this thread for any discusion regarding tattoos. Show yours or post any you like, love or hate!

the conversation has continued from here https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3720/P480/

Just saw this on shock mansion and loved it LOL

JazzaW - 13 June 2012 10:38 AM

My question is, how did you guys decide on what you were happy to get put on you? I like tattoo’s and have thought about getting one a few times but I can never settle on what I like, I always end up thinking ‘Do I really want that on me permanently?’. I don’t think I will ever get one, I am more curious about how you decided on your ink?

JazzaW I think that it is sometimes better to leave it more up to the artist. They will more likely do better work because your are allowing them to be do what they do which is be expressive and create their own artwork. Instead of just showing them a picture and saying draw this on me. It may not always suit their style.
I think the best way to go about it would be choose a tattooist that you love their artwork and their tattoos. Give them a general idea of what you want, and let them go to work.

Ps I dont have any tats. I absolutely love tattoo as an artform and think it looks great when done well, but my taste changes too much for me to get something I would be happy with forever. Well just yet anyway

CRACKERS - 13 June 2012 11:21 AM

I don’t have any tatts and I never will. I think they can look cool and in particular I really like when girls have whole shoulder/sleeves done.
I never thought much about what ‘sort’ of people have tattoos because it seems like underneath a shirt anyone or everyone could have one?

crackers I agree. And I thought of this pic straight away when you said this

That old guy def thought a lot about the placement!

His suited style is very “normal”

I had a flatmate last year who had tatts on his wrists and forearm. He worked in a very corporate environment and worn suit pants and a long sleeve (not rolled up) shirt every day. which was fine 90% of the time. But I can’t help think that some of his work colleagues must have thought he was a little strange when he didn’t wear polo’s on casual Fridays or roll up his sleeve at the balcony at a Friday!

A neighbour I grew up with (female) has an awesome geisha girl sleeve that is being worked on. She is not in a very corporate environment BUT she still can never take her Cardi off.

Fine in the office as it is climate controlled but she goes to events offsite and still has the cardi on.

Tatts are awesome when they’re done right, when I first turned 18 I was going to get a sleeve done, never found a design that I imagined myself being happy with for the rest of my life though.

I thought I’d get this in here for your viewing pleasure: http://ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/

Enjoy! grin

Also, this:

Not something I’d get done, but the artwork is amazing.

Wow, the detail is insane in that!

I’m a big fan of Kat Von D’s work. She’s such a talent and I love her style as well.

I follow her on instagram. i was hoping it would be heaps of photos of her tattoo’s/artwork but alas it is mind numbingly boring shit like shoes of the day, photos of her writing her book etc.

A guy i sort of know tried to book in to get work done by her a few years ago(whilst LA ink was still being shot*). Sent an email stating what he roughly wanted, the dates he would be in USA and that price was no obstacle only to receive an email back from her assistant stating she didnt think Kat would like to do a piece like that. The end, no chance to change the design nothing. To say he was pissed off was an understatement haha

Judging by watching a few episodes of LA INK, if you didnt have a massive sob story behind your tattoo you didnt get in?

*is it still being shot these days?

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 13 June 2012 11:59 PM
JazzaW - 13 June 2012 10:38 AM

My question is, how did you guys decide on what you were happy to get put on you? I like tattoo’s and have thought about getting one a few times but I can never settle on what I like, I always end up thinking ‘Do I really want that on me permanently?’. I don’t think I will ever get one, I am more curious about how you decided on your ink?

JazzaW I think that it is sometimes better to leave it more up to the artist. They will more likely do better work because your are allowing them to be do what they do which is be expressive and create their own artwork. Instead of just showing them a picture and saying draw this on me. It may not always suit their style.
I think the best way to go about it would be choose a tattooist that you love their artwork and their tattoos. Give them a general idea of what you want, and let them go to work.

Ps I dont have any tats. I absolutely love tattoo as an artform and think it looks great when done well, but my taste changes too much for me to get something I would be happy with forever. Well just yet anyway

Yep I agree definitely would let the artist draw it up for me, It is the theme or idea that I can never be certain that I would be happy with permanently.

Kat Von D’s work is amazing. I only have my southern cross tatt, as much as people seem to judge people based on it.

I’m considerin gettin my mobile phone number tattooed on my hand as I can never remember it!!!!!

I saw that shock mansion one, thats a cool pic!

I wanna get a chest piece done but I don’t know what I wanna get. I’m gonna wait till’ I’m a bit older since I’m only young and haven’t fully experienced life yet LOL I want to be able to look at my tattoo in 30 years time and not regret it.

I love tattoos, but don’t have any. As much as I want one, I just can’t bring myself to get something that I may not like in 10 years time.

I guess if I get a tattoo I want it to mean something. And so far I have had no significant reason to get one.

Get a tattoo of a picture of what ya looked like before ya got a tattoo then?????

Hahaha thats not a bad idea