The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Where in Canada

I’m planing a trip to Canada in Feb and was wondering where is best for freeriding. I think I’ll avoid Whistler as the Olympics will make it too busy and expensive.

lots of places besides Whistler..Good choice to stay away from there during the Oly`s

Big White in Kelowna might be the closest bigger resort with great pow
Fernie BC is usually a good bet..I love it there
Sunshine ,Lake Louise and Kicking Horse are a few Alberta resorts that you can always have fun at..
Castle Mountain Alta. is a gem that is underused and overpowdered

Those are pretty common places to hit up..

Interior BC has some truly awesome mountain ranges to hit up backcountry ..either by hiking , Heli or snowcat

and then there`s the East side of the country..Quebec has some nice resorts

Whistler kills it for freeriding, but good call avoiding it for the Olympics… it will be hectic.

I have been to Big White also… I can definately recommend it. Quiet runs, good terrain, awesome pow. The tree runs off Gem Lake chair are incredible.

As Dave said, there are a lot of great places to ride in Canada.

rider26 - 15 June 2009 02:49 AM

The tree runs off Gem Lake chair are incredible.

and generally underused….Excellent place

Rob (urchin) showed me around back in the day, the man knows Gem Lake. Hopefully he joins the forums soon.

rider26 - 15 June 2009 03:17 AM

Rob (urchin) showed me around back in the day, the man knows Gem Lake. Hopefully he joins the forums soon.

I hope so..Haven`t talked to him in a couple of years…Good guy

There are quite a few places to go in Canada… I would have said Whistler, as it is my home mountain but like you said it’s going to be crazy busy which it why I’m leaving for Aus during that time…

Fernie is great, they get some really nice powder and have some good challenging steeps

Sun Peaks- it’s not a big mountain but it’s got two different villages and the mountains itself are just fun you go and cruise around on

Revelstoke- Awesome powder when you pick your days right and it’s still a small town and not heaps of people have discovered it yet

Cypress-i heard they had a pretty awesome park this past year

Powder king- great for cat skiing

There are places like Apex, Mount Washington, Big White, Bella Coola, Bralorne that are also all good places to go and check out.

Baker is just out of Seattle in USA. Its a quiet mountain, but has some gnarly runs. Baker gets tones of powder, but because there is no one there you get fresh tracks all day. It is only a couple of hours drive south of Vancouver, but defiantly worth checking out.

Pretty much every mountain on the west side in Canada is so sick for different reasons!! You have to check them all out!

Kicking Horse, 80 trails, 10 groomed, of the rest 60 are chutes!

louise - 18 June 2009 06:48 PM

Baker is just out of Seattle in USA. Its a quiet mountain, but has some gnarly runs. Baker gets tones of powder, but because there is no one there you get fresh tracks all day. It is only a couple of hours drive south of Vancouver, but defiantly worth checking out.

Mt Baker is open year round isnt it?

Dave99 - 15 June 2009 03:41 AM

urchin lives !!!

how the hell are yaz

urchin - 29 June 2009 06:25 PM
Dave99 - 15 June 2009 03:41 AM

urchin lives !!!

how the hell are yaz

Urchin Lives!!!..Yay!!!
I`m fine and I hope that you are too…besides the bum knee you mentioned in that other thread…

You never drop by the old homestead anymore…Doc said you were too busy with business…
Good to “see” you again..

I dont know if I should, but I dont remember ya.

snowslider - 29 June 2009 09:13 PM

If he manages to post his fancy fish signature you might….

Dave99 - 29 June 2009 10:19 PM
snowslider - 29 June 2009 09:13 PM

If he manages to post his fancy fish signature you might….

hmmm.