The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Perisher or Thredbo?

Hey, I am looking at going to either Perisher or Thredbo later on in the season, but I have always boarded overseas and never in Australia.  I will be driving down from Brissy (moving to Sydney at the end of the year) and wanted to know which one you think I should hit up and why?  I ride all types, a bit of steeps a bit of park etc.

thredbo for sure . . . lots more variety, better snow and more to do off the snow
Be champion Boman

Personally I always go to Thredbo, I find the terrain to be better/more challenging. I like to ride fast so more vertical is better.

Thredbo for sure. Perisher is constant traversing.
Also better night life!

Thredbo usually unless I have friends at Perisher.

Thredbo is sweet for better freeriding terrain for sure, and the nightlife IS better!  But if you’re looking for a park then I’d say Perisher often has better stuff - well looked after and I’ve had empty parks to myself.  Now all they need to do is install a tow next to the kicker lines….

thanks for all the info. much appreciated.  Does anybody know if it is significantly cheaper to stay off mountain?

Yeah you will save a significant amount if you stay in Jindabyne.

G-Red - 15 June 2009 01:52 AM

thredbo for sure . . . lots more variety, better snow and more to do off the snow
Be champion Boman

i would dispute that fact….they dont call it mudbo for nothing!!! wink
i say neither resort is better…just different, which ever resort you choose, as long as you are with a good crew it’s always a killer time!

Consider the snow conditions at the time you are travelling. Thredbo is a better mountain but if its a marginal season you will find more snow and better quality snow at perisher. Regardless of where you go don’t expect to much ( size and quantity of snow) and you will have fun.

I agree with Daz. Depending on the time you are going will determine which resort is better. Perisher has a better park and more variety if you don’t care so much for vertical. Otherwise, Thredbo is fun cause it has longer runs. Banjobiwan is on the money…if your with a cool crew of friends your bound to have where ever! Definately stay in Jundy, cheaper and better night life!

Bring it on!

If the snow is good, Thredbo is better. If not, then Perisher for sure. You will never have to step out of your bindings to get to a lift at Perisher.
Nothing worse than slopping thru mud to get to Crackenback lift.

Perisher rocks.  As first glace Thredbo looks better, but it you go looking there is some great trees and off piste in Perisher.

Jindabyne will be way cheaper than staying on the mountain, about half a hours drive.  check out http://www.click4snow.com for accommodation deals

The best party nights are Wednesday (local staff night) and Saturday.  Watch out for RBT the next day, make sure your not still over the limit.

Yeah, im a perisher fan. i searched around and you can find some sick natural jumps and stuff. the parks are also sick as well. i have been to thredbo as well so this isnt biased.

Perisher. No one like t-bars, at perisher it is easier to avoid them

there ARE some great tree runs at perisher. need to get out my crayons!