The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone ever Longboard (skate)??

When we were kids we used to ride our boards over at Nareena Hills (Figgy Heights), and there was a dipper that is about 400m long top to top, a couple of the older guys had roller skates (days before blades), and they told us they could clock less than a second between telegraph poles!!!!!

We went to verify there findings, the locals warned us they were about to call the cops (WTF?????), but first guy made the claim come true!!!!!

Second guy wasn’t so lucky when he got the death wobbles and removed most of his epidermis along with his jeans and shirt, along the tar at the base of the dipper!!!!!

The cloth from his clothes sort of fluffed up into balls of snow that were floatin around everywhere!!!!! The blood that was comin out of his butt cheeks was a whole other experience!!!!! Hahahhaaa!!!!!

holy shizzazles, that sounds so hectic!

Yeah like K2 said - stopping is usually power slides, running off the side (provided you aren’t going faster than you can run!) or straightening your front foot and putting your pushing foot down to gradually slow you down. All of these techniques require quite a bit of practice so definitely put the time in!

I tried to power slide when I was going too fast on my regular skatey and the wheels jagged on a pebble, the board stopped dead and I flew straight up in the air and down again like a sack of you-know-what! Within about 30 seconds my neck muscles all spasmed and I couldn’t turn my head for 3 or 4 days. I felt like a right idiot cos I should have known I don’t ride my skatey often enough to be confident with any method of stopping going that fast. I panicked and went for the power side as there was a speed bump fast approaching. I’m getting too old for that stuff!

Mizu Kuma - 11 April 2012 01:30 AM
Dan83 - 11 April 2012 01:27 AM

I guess protective gear is a must when freebording.

Yeah, ya don’t wanna bruise ya tomatoes!!!!!

smirk

Gah dbl post

Thanks guys smile

Yeah I think I’m too old to start skating a short board.. Was just thinking of something mellow to cruise to and from my lab across campus each day. Mostly all flats.. Only danger would be tree branches and nuts and crap like that..

I think I’ll just try and pick up a cheapy longboard 2nd hand to play around on.  cheese

Just be careful with a second hander, anti!!!!!

Sometimes if a few parts need replacin, it will equate to the value of a whole new complete!!!!!

ie wheels harden over time, bearings, bushings wear and amount to $ to replace with decent gear!!!!!

Don’t have a longboard but I skated my mates one. He payed like $400+ for his board. I have to admit its a very smooth ride but the board is very big. Are you going to be carrying it around uni all day?

@BKM: Nah it would just sit in my office during the day.

@Mizu: Yeah fair call, but at least I won’t fork out $100’s only to find I have no interest in riding it regularly :D

I have one bud and its the best thing to cruise around on!!! its a must to buy

LOL

BAHHAHA LOL

He knew he was going down for ages but was just waiting for that car to pass hahahahahha

hahahahahaha

antisense - 14 April 2012 04:21 AM

BAHHAHA LOL

He knew he was going down for ages but was just waiting for that car to pass hahahahahha

Yeah, and right from the start ya could see that he was gonna eat shit via death wobbles cause his trucks were so loose!!!!!