The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone ever Longboard (skate)??

how do you stop them without just jumping off and running along side a’la Mizu’s wonderfull demonstration tongue laugh

I remember the old days when I used to skate as a teenager and boards has those massive skid plates on the back grin

i think I even had flouro pink plastic rails ahhahha ... good ol 80’s

antisense - 10 April 2012 09:57 AM

What’s the deal with some that have a castor (like rip sticks) on one truck? Is that supposed to help you do slides easier or something?

The hardest part about riding RipStiks is telling your friends you’re gay.

Or perhaps you mean Freebords, which have castors in the middle of both trucks?

antisense - 10 April 2012 10:08 AM

how do you stop them without just jumping off and running along side a’la Mizu’s wonderfull demonstration tongue laugh

Stationary things come in handy!!!!!

hahaha LOL

Don’t worry Chucky I’m not a ripstick fanboy. Adults riding those things look retarded

Yeah I think I must have seen a freeboard on the web… Anyone ever used one of them?

antisense - 10 April 2012 10:56 AM

Yeah I think I must have seen a freeboard on the web… Anyone ever used one of them?

Yeah, I know Steen Strand, their inventor. He gave me one to review when I worked at the snowboard mag (he had it up on the Freebord website for years, but I don’t know if it still is), and my review boosted sales so much that he ended up giving me another one when we met up in Vegas at a SIA trade show. I’ve still got one of them tucked away in a closet somewhere.

They’re a real challenge, but when you get the hang of them fully, they’re amazing - and the closest ride you’ll get to snowboarding on pavement.

cool smile

I have a Sector 9 board that I use for cruising around to the shops or mates places and anything close, saves using the car and more fun! Definitely go for it!

chucky - 10 April 2012 11:22 AM

Yeah, I know Steen Strand, their inventor. He gave me one to review when I worked at the snowboard mag (he had it up on the Freebord website for years, but I don’t know if it still is), and my review boosted sales so much that he ended up giving me another one when we met up in Vegas at a SIA trade show. I’ve still got one of them tucked away in a closet somewhere.

They’re a real challenge, but when you get the hang of them fully, they’re amazing - and the closest ride you’ll get to snowboarding on pavement.

Yeah, I really want to try a freebord! Was tempted to get one, I think they are around $300.

Dan83 - 10 April 2012 03:32 PM
chucky - 10 April 2012 11:22 AM

Yeah, I really want to try a freebord! Was tempted to get one, I think they are around $300.

You’re welcome to try mine.

Freebords are awesome fun, also an awesome way to lose skin LOL

yeah ive got a freeboard too, so used to normal skateboarding where you can flick the board out from under you when things go awry, forgetting my feet were in a ‘binding’ resulted in a lot of palm skin being removed, but that being said, once youve got the hang of it, its an awesome feeling!

Thanks Chucky.

I guess protective gear is a must when freebording.

Dan83 - 11 April 2012 01:27 AM

I guess protective gear is a must when freebording.

Yeah, ya don’t wanna bruise ya tomatoes!!!!!

a mates dad used to make longboards for a few of us. was hella fun, my parents place up the top of Farmborough Heights had a ridiculously long hill with not too much of a gradient that was freshly resurfaced. Spent many an afternoon/weekend cruising it but yes, beware of picking up speed and how to slow down/stop.

Learnt my lesson, as did my mate (head first into the gutter resulted in him getting a concussion and not being able to speak for a few mins, only mumble)

And as said above, freebords are hard, but once ou get it so fun.

I haven’t longboarded and prob won’t cos I skate a normal deck anywhere anyway. I love cruising round on my skatey and being super agile and being able to Ollie stuff and hit any feature on the run. I’m sure I would enjoy a longboard’s ride but with the price of them I’d I’ll just keep doing what ilove atm. That said I am looking into buying one of the Evolve electric skateboards. Prob the snub nose not the pintail.

As for stopping seeing that hasn’t really been answered yet for u anti, just jumping off and running along side isn’t always the best option. Big potential for a rogue board to go flying into traffic or an object.  An advance way would be power slides to stop. When bombing hills and streets on my normal boards I try to use sess slides to control speed or slow enough to use feet to stop. Another way when I’m in a surface too grippy to sess is just have my push foot off and use hit on the ground to brake. Ruins ur sole if u do it all the time and don’t push down too hard or I’ll stack just gradually brake. To avoid any problems always try to look ahead and plan ur ride ahead.

Make sure u learn to push normal not mongo! Not only does mongo look ridiculous u have less board control and it takes longer to get into riding stance if u needed to in a hurry