The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Skate Blog

Hey Girls,

This thread is going to be filled with Pro Riders blogs from all the streets and bowls around the world. I’ll be updating and adding new riders along the way, so stay tuned and let me know if there is any rider in particular you want to be hearing from.

L.B

Riders:

Mimi Knoop

RIDER PROFILE: Mimi Knoop

Originally from the east coast, Mimi is a lifelong skateboarder and multi-media artist (with a BFA in visual arts).  When skating, Mimi likes to go fast and have fun.  She has 5 X-Games medals under her belt and won Protec Pool Party and Soul Bowl in 2008. As an artist, Mimi has shown her work in Los Angeles, Vancouver BC, San Diego, and Orange County- and also does freelance work. She is co-founder and Vice president of the non-profit organization of female skateboarders, the Alliance. The Alliance has been instrumental in raising the standards in prize purses and exposure for professional female skateboarding contests/and events around the world.

Rider: Mimi Knoop

Japan

December 2nd, 2009

I am over in Japan right now skateboarding and visiting my parents who have lived here since May.
I have gotten to visit a few different towns since I have been here- mainly, Yokosuka, Hakone, Enoshima, and Onjuku in Chiba.
It is a beautiful and exciting country! Here are some pics from the trip so far..

Keiko

December 2nd, 2009

Yesterday I went to visit my friend, Keiko, in the town of Onjuku. I know Keiko b/c we are Nikita teammates and have traveled together many different times in the past on photoshoots, etc. So, I was excited to finally visit her at her home in Japan. She and her husband have a little skatepark and cafe called the “Nikita Cafe and Park“. It is a well-kept, charming little skatepark and it was so fun to session with Keiko! Thanks for having us, Keiko!! Here are some pics:

Skate Viking - Ebina, Japan

December 10th, 2009

Last weekend I got the chance to check out a girl’s skate event called, Skate Viking. It was held at the X-Dome skatepark in Ebina, Japan. I went to promote hoopla and I watched many of the top amateurs compete- and I got to skate with them a bit too. It was a really cool experience to meet the girls and to see the scene they have built for themselves here. They were all skating at such a high level and were ripping!! My friend, Keiko, also came out to the event, and it was great to see her again! Thanks to Takashi for setting it up and to my Dad for taking all the photos!!

Tokyo MAPS skatepark

December 13th, 2009

Weds night I went to Tokyo MAPS skatepark for a signing and skate demo… Alot of the same faces were there from the Ebina event – and new ones too! It was awesome to see everyone again and to watch the little girls tear up the skatepark. I ran into Gen Kun- a local vert skater that I have skated with in the past in California. He was ripping and it was awesome to session the ramp with him! Keiko and Mari from Nikita came too and we did some product tosses for the girls.. Many thanks to my Dad who once again shot all the photos.. And a big thanks to Takashi, Jin, Nagi and the Murasaki Sports team that helped make the event possible!

January, 14th, 2010

Happy 2010! I spent the first day of the year skating the “ridiculous” pool up in LA with Ozzie, Spooner, Salba, and a bunch of other rip-riders. It was a fun day and there was an awesome sunset to end the session. Thanks to Ozzie for letting us skate, & MRZ and Chris Tietz for shooting pics!

COMPANY PROFILE: All Girls Skate Jam (AGSJ) / International Girls Skateboarding Association (IGSA)

Soul skater and photographer Patty Segovia organized the All Girl Skate Jam Demo in 1990 as a way to recognize female skateboarders. In 1996 after graduating from UCSB Segovia created the first professional all girls skateboard contest. This began the annual AGSJ skateboard events which have spanned the globe from the North Shore of Oahu to San Sebastion, Spain.

The All Girl Skate Jam® brand of skateboard events, clothing and accessories is for girls that want to reflect the lifestyles they live and love. For skaters and action sport lovers looking for their own style, All Girl Skate Jam® has the apparel and gear you want. We’re the first and original skateboard brand for all girls, all ages, and all abilities.

Originally an annual event, the popularity and demand from girl skaters expanded the All Girl Skate Jam® brand into merchandising and action sports events around the world, as well as touring with the Vans Warped Tour every summer.

AGSJ Clinic

YMCA Encinitas, California, USA

January 9th, 2010

“We first founded IGSA/AGSJ in 1997 and started doing skate clinics in 1998 due to popular demand. Noone was doing skate clinics and girls were so inspired from watching the girls skate in the All Girl Skate Jam events and videos that the demand for lessons landed on my lap.  It has been a wild roller coaster these past 13 years with AGSJ/IGSA.  A few years ago we taught 300 girl scouts how to stand, push and carve on a a board some even learned how to ollie.

This past IGSA clinic brought out additional girl scout troopers and local girls that wanted to try it for the first time in an encouraging and gender specific environment.  For future skate clinics register online at http://www.allgirlskatejam.com  If you are in need of financial aid please tell us your story we may be able to help.” 

Patty Segovia-Krause founder AGSJ and IGSA

(CB Burnside, Patty Segovia-Krause founder AGSJ and IGSA, Mimi Knoop)

(CB Burnside, Abby Zsarnay, Mimi Knoop)

(Mini Shrom & Abby Zsarnay)

(Mimi Knoop & Abby Zsarnay)

(Abby Zsarnay)

“I really enjoyed helping the girls with their skateboarding. It was a lot of fun to see how many girls are starting to get into skating. I wish I would of had guidance and support like this from other female skaters when I was starting out.”

Abby Zsarnay (teacher at clinic) 15 years old.

(Annika Vrklan)

(Annika Vrklan)

(Annika Vrklan)

“The clinic was so much fun we skated all over the park, the goodie bags were AWESOME.  My Best Friend from school came and learned to skate and now she wants to skate all the time! I love that I got to skate with CB and Mimi.”

Annika Vrklan 6 years old.

(Macy Eaton)

“I loved skating with so many girls and making new friends . I really enjoyed everything the day was about: girls skating and having fun!”

Macy Eaton 9 years old

(Mini group of Shrommets)

All Girl Skate Jam

(323) 973-8378

http://www.allgirlskatejam.com

187 Pads

February 13th, 2010

I just got back from picking up some brand new knee pads from Vinton at 187 pads.. Not only does Vinton hook me up with super functional pads- he also takes the time to custom design each set, one-by-one. How cool is that?? So, I just wanted to thank Vinton and 187 for always hooking me up with such a great product!! To check out 187, click here.

Here are some pics from the 187 shop..

My new pads with a custom Nikita scarf used on the top…

Some “Grind For Life” pads for Mike Rogers.. skate and destroy cancer!

Painting Pics..

March 21st, 2010

Here are some more pics of my work in progress… slowly but surely it’s coming along!

Lance’s Pool

I had the pleasure of skating Lance’s pool in Arcadia.. It was a very eventful trip! I got bit by a ferocious chihuahua when we got there.. but I survived. The pool was as perfect as they come, and some of the Arcadia legends were there ripping. Thanks for the fun day, Lance!

Clash at Clairemont IV

The 4th annual Clash at Clairemont was in March- it was probably the largest pro demo EVER- and all the proceeds went to help destroy cancer. Thanks to Mike Rogers, Chris Conway and of course Grind for Life for such an awesome, fun event that helps so many..

The Side Project

My friend Lisa came down and hung out w/ Karen Jonz and I at the Clairemont skatepark.. Lisa snapped some pics and shot some video of the session.

Clairemont Skatepark.

getting the tunes started.

Warming up.

Karen Jonz is visiting from Brazil and stopped by to hang out.

Frontside from pop-out to wall.

Backside.

Karen having fun in the mini bowl.

Found Jen Smith and Annie Sullivan lurking on the mini.

Switch blunt.
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/10687104[/vimeo]
Blog Cam

Once the sun went down we went to Mountain Mike’s for some pizza before ending the day.

6th Annual Protec Pool Party

May 27th, 2010

Here are some pics of me hanging at the Protec Pool Party this past weekend! There wasn’t a ladies division this year, but CB represented for us all by entering the Masters division with the men! This event is always high energy and this year was no different.. Everyone ripped! Congrats to all the guys that skated (and survived)!

Mighty Mike Rogers

Double D! Always fun to see Duncan..

Congrats on the win, Cab!

The man himself, Steve Van Doren

Madness!

hoopla was there..

The finals were nuts!

In the pit.. Skater’s-eye-view

Journey’s Backyard BBQ with the Vans team

June 10th, 2010

The Journey’s Backyard BBQ went off this weekend in Nashville! I traveled out there with the Vans team and even though I couldn’t skate (b/c of my knee) we did alot of PR stuff with local media, with Journey’s, and also visited the Vanderbilt Children’s hospital there. It was a moving experience to meet so many sick/hurt young kids. They are very inspiring little people! Here are some pics from the weekend:

Children’s Hospital Visit with the team