The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What Deck Is This??? /Need New Trucks

Hey All
I have been inspired to pull my Sector 9 deck out and start riding again. I am looking at getting some new trucks and bushings as the ones I have are CHEAP n NASTY. I ride a cruisy style and not into going fast or laying massive carves. Getting too old to embarrass myself in public when I have a bust up. At least when I am snowboarding no one can really tell who you are except for your mates. I have attached a couple of photos of my board. It is obviously a Sector 9, does anyone know the model for my reference. It is 1210mm/47.6in long. Big sucker.
Thanks in advance
CLAX

Don’t quote me on this, but… I have a similar board for cruising and they generally come with 10” Gullwing Charger trucks.
http://www.gullwingtruckco.com/charger.php
They seem pretty decent for just cruising around. Not sure where to get them locally though.

Bear, Paris and Randal (some of the brands I can remember off the top of my head) also make longboard specific trucks, could try their websites.

Yeah gullwings are nice.
Also you could get Paris trucks.
Or if you’re feeling rich you could get some Bear trucks.

Yeah, that board runs with Gullwings!!!!!

Its an OG PINTAIL!!!!!

Koper - 21 March 2012 10:40 AM

Don’t quote me on this, but… I have a similar board for cruising and they generally come with 10” Gullwing Charger trucks.
http://www.gullwingtruckco.com/charger.php
They seem pretty decent for just cruising around. Not sure where to get them locally though.

Bear, Paris and Randal (some of the brands I can remember off the top of my head) also make longboard specific trucks, could try their websites.

Have just had a quick look at the Gullwings. They look good. Might pay a visit to the local skate shop and the kids can stare at the dude with greying hair.

Mizu Kuma - 21 March 2012 11:08 AM

Its an OG PINTAIL!!!!!

Thanks Mizu. You’re a wealth of knowledge.

Clax, if you’re skating with grey in you’re hair, you get mad respect around all the parks I go to shaka

clax - 21 March 2012 11:23 AM

Its an OG PINTAIL!!!!!

No wukkas clax!!!!! shaka

It would also pay to use some proper wheels as well!!!!!

Somethin wide, soft and large diameter!!!!!

Just beware that it could cost close to that of a whole new setup!!!!! (Especially the bamboo models)

Oh, and if ya end up lookin at a pair of Randal’s, as the other guys mentioned, and if they are like a reverse king pin setup, then they are more suited to shorter carve boards!!!!! As for the other brands, I know nothin about them!!!!! (Gullwing also make a reverse king pin setup style as well, avoid this model also)

Mizu Kuma - 21 March 2012 12:22 PM
clax - 21 March 2012 11:23 AM

Its an OG PINTAIL!!!!!

No wukkas clax!!!!! shaka

It would also pay to use some proper wheels as well!!!!!

Somethin wide, soft and large diameter!!!!!

Just beware that it could cost close to that of a whole new setup!!!!! (Especially the bamboo models)

Oh, and if ya end up lookin at a pair of Randal’s, as the other guys mentioned, and if they are like a reverse king pin setup, then they are more suited to shorter carve boards!!!!! As for the other brands, I know nothin about them!!!!! (Gullwing also make a reverse king pin setup style as well, avoid this model also)

Yep. Onto that as well. I was looking at Abec 11 Gumballs. Nice soft sticky ones. Will have to see what the shop stocks. Might also have a look at the Kryptonics. These are what I used to skate on years ago and I loved them. Going to stick with the Gullwings I think, no reverse kingpin, board too long I think.

Went to skate shop today and looked at wheels. They really rated Orangatang wheels.
Has anyone ridden these or rate a particular model?

Orangatang make some great wheels the thing is look at the urethane rating. Softer is better for cruising and carving whereas the harder and sometime stone ground ones are more for sliding. If you want something that carves well and good for cruising look at the 78a durometer and the more square shape ones.

Hey
I have been slowly upgrading my board etc.. And went to my local skate shop, not a real good one I think but anyway…. The young guy there recommended Orangatang Stimulus 80a wheels but on doing a bit more research I don’t think that he knows what he is on about as these are a sliding wheel.. I want something to pump, carve and cruise with. Nothing that will slide the grippier the better. I looked at the Orangatang In Heats in a 80a and think they might be better as they have a squarer edge with offset centre. Does anyway have any experience with these wheels or know of a decent store that they know what they are talking about so I can give them a call and maybe do a phone order.
Thanks in advance.

I don’t know anythin about Orangatang wheels, but an 80a Durometer is soft and should be quite grippy!!!!!

Cheers. Thanks for that. Will have a look at them.

Clax giddy giddy.

OK the In Heats are a great set of wheels, expensive but definitely worth the money. If you are planning on craving and pumping hard they are a good set of wheels, but to be honest the deck is going to be a let down. Where are you planning on heading with this set up once you are completely done? You mentioned that you are upgrading everything bit by bit. That way can give you more information about what is good to purchase and so forth. Making sure you get bang for buck and the setup you desire.