The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Toe straps vs. highbacks

I bring this up because I find that some countries view the toe strap and it’s purpose a little differently..

A few years back, I once mentioned in a conversation that the rider should “press against the HB to tilt the board on the heel’s edge”, I was corrected by a non-US trained (I dont know if he was NZ or CAN trained), he told me you get the board on the heel edge by pulling up on the toe strap.It began an interesting discussion and broadened my thoughts on the functionality of the binding.

I almost think of it as one and the same. I wonder if anyone has other thoughts on this???

I know you can ride a board without a toe strap. but I have not taken the HB off the binding and tried it, but I think it would be a more noticeable difference.

Thoughts?

I definately think the highback is more important on a heelside turn. Personally I never think of lifting up the toes on a heelside turn, but rather balancing on the heel edge (a trainer once said that and really helped with pressure control (I think it could have been in the CASI 2 course/exam)). That said, when I am teaching sideslipping or pendulum, I often mention lifting the toes, but I think that is a different story.

To me the toe strap is there to lock me more securely into my bindings, so I can use the snowboard more effectively. I don’t really see it as anything else.