The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Working the season at Whistler

So after spending two months in Whistler this season I definitely want to work the entire season next year and was just wondering what’s the best way to do it.

One my friends went through the Working Holiday Club - Canada “Powder Package”, which sets you up with cheap flights, job interviews here in sydney, pretty much guarantees employment in one of the canadian snow resorts.
The only problem is after making an enquiry, apparently i have left it pretty late and there isn’t many positions left for Whistler Blackcomb resort thus making it a slim chance of working the season at Whistler and more likely at Big White etc.

I was wondering if i should still try go through with it and just hope for the best of getting a job at Whistler, or does anybody know of other methods of securing a job at Whistler?

I think it’s better (and cheaper in the long run) to organise everything yourself.

Get a work visa. You should apply now. http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

Decide what type of work you want to do. Probably easiest to work for the mountain. Free season pass, staff parties, discounted food and retail, plus the opportunity to go into staff housing.

Staff housing is cheap and you will meet a bunch of new people. Otherwise, get onto the Pique listings early and find your own place.

Make sure your resume is in order. Make sure you get to Whistler early for the Job Fair (or catch them when their reps come to Australia to recruit).

Honestly, if you plan ahead and do the right thing, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t get a job for the season.

I know you were interested in instructing. If you want to teach, make sure you take the right steps this season in Australia. Working part time and getting your APSI cert will put you in an excellent position to get a job instructing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, check out our friends at http://www.rideonwhistler.com/

As has probably been said many times before, the winter job fair is where most jobs go. Though you have to be in Vancouver in like October / November(?)

I think the best way would be to email the hotels, bars and shops and see if you can get a job through them, secure it and then still go to the job fair and see if you can get something better. Then you get a choice and if you turn down a job late, it just opens it up for someone else who left it “too late”.

Personally being an instructor would be an awesome job but you have to do it rain, hail or shine. Bluebird powder days and being assigned to a Lvl 1 beginners group going down the equivalent of Friday flats would be pretty brutal though.

Working at a bar would be awesome. Night shifts, tips and being able to ride during the day is the dream! Though most of the party scene would happen with you behind a counter serving them drinks.

Thanks for that guys, ‘cause the guy on the phone i was talking to was making it sound as if there was zero chance of getting a job Whistler, and if there was a slim chance it was as a kitchen hand or other undesirable jobs.

Anyways i set up a screening with WHC and if in that screening they pretty much tell me that i won’t be working in Whistler than i shall pull out of the program and figure out my own means of work.

Also Jeremy i know you ran you me through how to apply part time for the Australian season back in Whistler whilst we were riding, but would you be able to explain it one more time for me please? smile

Don’t listen to them. Sounds super dodgy to me. They run a business and it sounds like they are trying to take your money and place you elsewhere as they don’t have the contacts to make it happen in Whistler. No jobs have been assigned to new staff yet - how can there be none left? Absolute bullshit dude.

APSI certify instructors in Australia. Check out their website and read through the details: http://www.apsi.net.au/

I’m not sure if things have changed over the years, but basically you want to get to one of the hiring clinics at the start of the season. Find out the details from the resort you’re interested in working for. Keep your eye on the employment pages: http://www.perisherjobs.com.au/positions_instructors.html

You want to do the hiring clinic and secure a job with a resort. As long as you’re good with people and willing to learn, you should be fine. If you work part time, you get your season pass and you only have to work for two weeks during the school holidays and four weekends during the season. You get experience as an instructor and the opportunity to get an APSI cert, which is recognised in Canada and other countries. Doing this will put you in an excellent position to secure a job with Snowboard School in Whistler. I can help put you in contact with the right people, but you should be fine going through the normal hiring procedures too.

Yeah that part time instructor gig is pretty nice if you can get it (not saying that you can’t!)

If you need somewhere to crash for the two weeks of school hols let me know and i may be able to help you out.

When I did the hiring clinic at Thredbo I think about 95% or more of the people doing the clinic got hired as instructors. I also believe part time instructors are more appealing to them as you cover them during the super busy periods but they don’t have a responsibility to find you work when it’s quiet.

Having ridden with Kyle, he won’t have any problems finding work in Australia. As I said, just show them you’re good with people and really take in everything they teach you in the clinic. As long as you can replicate what you’re taught, there’s no reason you won’t get a job.

Also, unless things have changed, there was a higher hiring rate from the clinic at Thredbo compared to Perisher. This might be worth looking into.

Thanks for all your help guys, i’ll keep you posted with my progress.

Also as much as i wanted to work at perisher, if its easier to get hired at Thredbo i think that might be a smarter option.

No worries. Speak to the guys at Perisher to see what the deal is before you make your decision. Remember the Shred is going to be at Perisher in September. wink

haha yeeew! Also i will most definitely be at the shred, i’m just not able to commit to the group accommodation. But don’t worry i’ll figure something out.

just make sure you do pre plan. i got here early december and went pritty hard trying to get work for the whole month , continued to try till early feb then got the shits with it.

i have never had an issue getting work before so it was a shock to the system . having a rad holiday though.. my bank account is worse for wear now though.

Having spent 3 seasons here now I can safely say that you don’t need to go through the big agencies to secure a job, sure it’s nice to have it all sorted before you get here but if they can’t help don’t just ditch the idea of coming here and going somewhere else - If come here with the right attitude and you can find work, may not be the best paying but it’ll be work.

To give you an example from this season a mate of mine was fired from his full time job within 2-3 days of the season starting and within a couple of weeks had 2 jobs - one part time working in the tube park and another working as a door man at crystal lounge. With those 2 he is able to ride every day, lives in staff housing and has a season pass provided not to mention earns enough money to get by. Basically if you’re not picky with what work you want to do you’ll be fine.

Having visited both big white and silver star they’re much smaller resorts and you’d no doubt get bored of the terrain very quickly as compared to Whistler. Had you not been here before you may be fine going with another resort but once you’ve seen the sheer size of whats on offer here it’d be very hard to go elsewhere.

I’m going to take my CASI level 1 cert in March and am thinking of teaching in Whis the upcoming winter. When do jobs offer open up? Or when should I apply for instructor position?

I would start looking at the website or even getting in touch with employment services around August (maybe earlier, just keep checking the website).

Keep your eye on this page: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm

Be prepared (solid resume), be in the right frame of mind (interviews), and get in early.

For instructors, they are looking for people with positive attitudes, high energy, passion for teaching / sharing knowledge / progression etc., and a desire to progress your own skills and be a part of a team etc. Along with having your certs (APSI, CASI or whatever), make sure you convey these things in your interview. They are looking for people who are willing to learn and give their guests an awesome experience.

You will most likely start working with kids (Whistler Kids). This program is super fun and don’t get the wrong idea, kids often rip better than adults. There is more of a focus on having fun, rather than focussing on technical drills. Any experience working with kids will work to your advantage (i.e. did you help at a sports camp for a week). Skip, let them know you’ve taught a bunch of your friends to ride and you’ve got a lot of satisfaction out of seeing them progress etc.

Anyway, you get the idea. Let me know if you have any questions. More than happy to discuss this more now or closer to the time.

And tell them that have ridden with one of the biggest kids from Australia!!!!! Jeremy!!!!!

Oh, and come to Australia for the Shred!!!!! That’ll look good on the portfolio!!!!!