The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How Tight Are Your Trucks?

How do you like your trucks? Mega loose? Medium or firm?

Mine are on the loose side of medium, but I think I am gonna go a lot softer. Will take a bit to get used to but I really want more ability to turn quickly for recovering on landings and avoiding other skaters/objects.

I dont want them floppy loose, so was thinking of getting some Bones Soft Bushes.

Loose! smile

Makes it more steeezy! haha

I used to roll tight but then I wanted to turn easier so I loosened them. I watch a lot of pro’s and their trucks are loose and that influenced me a lot. Now, I love loose trucks but I hate wheel bite! LOL

Yeh. loose you actually have more control.

Did you just loosen your trucks, or put in softer bushes?

I had really tight bushings in my old trucks then I got a pair of Thunders from the comp here. It came with soft bushings and that’s what I roll now. I think they’re just the standard bushings that come in all Thunder trucks (they’re yellow).

I use them tight with standard indy bushes. But I have to cause my wheels are huge and bite easily if they’re not tight.
I don’t mind them a little loose but I’ll save that for when my wheels wear down a bit.

Loose still feels sketchy to me but I’m trying to get used to it. When I set up my street board I’ll have it loose with little wheels.

How do you go with turning Andy? Dont you struggle to get tight turns in when needed?

another reason I want to have them looser is for when Im bowl riding it is easier to take the line I want too. Im not going where the board wants me to, but the opposite

Oh, and I still havent had any trouble with wheel bite. Even when riding looser boards. Just cos its looser, doesnt mean you have to or will lean it right over to the point of bite. Just going to give you quicker responsiveness. Unless you are rolling on mud tyres like Andy wink

Do either of you use spacers to lift up the deck and avoid biting a bit?

Sometimes if I land an ollie or drop off a ledge or something and most of my weight is on one side I’ll get wheel bite. It doesn’t happen when I turn LOL

I had riser pads on my very first deck. Now with my new deck, my bolts aren’t long enough so I can’t put my trucks on! smile

Just buy some longer deck bolts mate. cheap as chips. And the risers will mostly eliminate your biting problem…...sounds like a fetish haha

Nah I don’t use risers, i don’t want to get any higher off the ground than I already am. I only get bite when I’m cruising and doing big carve like turns (not now that I tightened the trucks though). I never get bite in the park.
But how often do u really turn hard in the park?
I definitely know what u mean about lines in bowl riding though. On the flip side, a really gnarly old pool rider told me that you lose pump power in the bowl if your trucks are loose…. who knows?

You’re both better skaters than me so I’m sure you have your preferences figured out by now. Although I guess everything changes as you progress.

In the park for me its more for when I land something a little off balance, I can correct myself with little ankle and knee movements when my body is already leaning out of wack. Know what I mean?

And I havent heard that bout losing pump in bowls. I dont think Id want them extreme loose. Just looser than what I have now.

CJ! Where are you? We need you to shed some light on these topics! (refering to the thread bout wheels too) wink

I don’t want my deck any higher either lol and I’m too lazy to buy new bolts since I only recently bought the ones I use smile There’s this pro skater that cuts his bushings in half and loosens his trucks so much the board jingles when he shakes it.

haha thats mega loose!

Yeh fair call if you both dont want anymore height.

Looser trucks for bowl works brilliantly, it is the best sensation carving round the bowl with some loose trucks. When it comes to “street” side of things I do prefer them for on the medium for some stability and help with the pop as well.

Really sorry for not replying sooner guys but I am working on the laptop. Miss all of you though.

My trucks are TIGHT.
Destructo D2

Cheers for the reply!

Yeh my mate has a pool deck and I wanna get on that in the bowls and carve it up. Will try it with loos trucks for sure.

I think my next set of trucks will be D2s. Heard they are the shit!