The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo/Perisher Trip

Me and a couple mates are trying to organise a trip down to either Thredbo or Perisher (whichever one is the cheaper option) and I was just hoping if any of you guys could give us any help/advice with accommodation, since most of you probably have heaps of experience with this! Any help would be rad!

By the way, we are thinking about going between the 15th of june to 9th of july and staying for about 4 nights and we are driving down from the Gold Coast.

Sorry if theres already a topic on this!

the station for cheap accom.

/end thread

Just to clarify deano’s post, the station is about $100 for a week and its about a 30 min trip to and from the snow each day.

If you want cheap accom on the snow, wait to see if Rider can get a good deal through Sundeck for non-shred times… or just come in September and ride with all of us. Last year’s trip was epic and for $1000 for a week, inc food you can’t get much better on snow.

Remember that off snow means $27 a day for driving up to the snow (more than $100 for a 5 day trip), food = $10-20 per day depending where you eat and petrol is probably another $100-200 for the week.

Yeaaah, wouldn’t be too stoked on having to drive down and find a to park every day and especially during that time its almost impossible haha. Yeah Im thinking about hitting the shred up, saw you guys talking about it and kinda wished I came haha, sounded like a hell time.

haha thanks for the explanation of my post, was running out the door at work

Also I know parking overnight is free at thredbo but Im not so sure with parking at perisher.

you dont have to pay for parking at perisher at all. But in saying that, i have only stayed on snow once, and if you get to the main carpark about 15-20 mins prior to first lift you never, ever have an issue parking. If you go later then you of course you will. And if you do drive up, you split the park entry between the boys so it works out like $30 MAX per person for the week.

But if money is no issue then id stay on snow for sure,

Re: NPWS fee
190 for annual
27 for daily

other costs to consider
snow chain hire…compulsory unless you want to gamble dodge the inspector (or you have a awd/4wd)
pretty sure multi day was cheaper

also i would consider that very early in the season
no snow is a very highly likely scenario

price difference between the two resorts
about 3 bucks lift tickets

you will save more buying multiday passes this year i believe

And multi day in advance (online & prior to 31 May) are heavily discounted this year.

I could be wrong but pretty sure Perisher doesn’t have overnight parking anymore? Or if they still do someone has to pay (or hitch) to get back to Perisher from the o/n parking area up to Perisher.

You are strongly encouraged to park at the ski tube and go up that way. If you don’t have a ski tube pass you are looking at extra cash for that. 

For 4 people - the park pass is not that expensive an option, nor is the petrol. But again if staying in jindy you can get the ski tube add on for $103. So no chains and no park pass, half the petrol.

In saying that yeah come for the Shred!

i do recall the sign saying no overnight parking at perisher valley

i dont think petrol (+npws + snowchains) driving up and down is that much (split by 4) compared to ski tube for everyone daily

when i did the 4 day trip last winter
driving up and down the mountain i filled up once…so 50 bucks on my car
NPWS fee - 27 x 4days - $108
4 day diamond chain hire = $47 bucks ...5 bucks more than ladder but if you EVER have to actually put it on…its worth the 5 bucks imo
http://www.bpskihire.com.au/rates/index.htm#ski_packs.... not my recommendation just everyone knows the BP
so 200 bucks split 4 way = 50 bucks each

ski tube (assuming your taking it daily that is)....$96 per person… works out cheaper if your soloing…duo is about par, 3 and above ....drive up!
this is also assuming you dont spend any petrol going to the skitube in the first place!

i cant stand the skitube personally, i dont care if its more expensive. I like having my clothes/board bag/car/ spare parts etc. within a 5 min walk from front valley

Hells yes Deano!

I am not allowed to drive up as staff unless I have a paying guest in the car with me. Thankfully I know a lot of people on the hill each weekend so would just get one of them to say they are in the car with me!

But 4 mates/ The Station/Driving each day is a pretty cheap ski trip. Especially if it is the difference between going or not. But personally yeah I would go to the Shred…

I talked to the boys and I think most likely we won’t take the option of staying in jindy and driving up every morning because it seems alot easier having everything close by like deano said, so we might just cop the price for the overnight parking and just split the costs of parking.

I had a quick look and I think the overnight parking is only avaliable at the ski tube so once we park we have to take the ski tube up with our luggage. I have a feeling im wrong but it would be ALOT better if there was overnight parking closer to accomodation.

I defnintely prefer perisher over thredbo as a mountain, but the whole parking predicament is just frustrating, I hope there is a better option at perisher.

Our only thing we really need to sort out now is just cheap accomodation!

The other option is Ski Rider.

http://www.skirider.com.au/

Cheap and cheerful and pretty big. You are stuck there at night but if you are going to ride and not party to big it can work.

are you guys keen on nightlife at all?

bliss - 14 February 2012 06:06 AM

. . . we are thinking about going between the 15th of june to 9th of july and staying for about 4 nights . . .

Just so we’re clear, you want to stay 4 nights, somewhere within that date range? There’s a huge difference in pricing and availability within that date range, as the latter part falls within the school holidays. Firstly, you should figure out exactly when you want to stay.