The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How to buy new gear.

rider26 - 16 June 2009 12:02 PM

The second question is valid. I would never suggest a board with an extruded base if they are trying to push their riding.

what do you mean by ‘extruded base’ ?

cmat - 17 June 2009 12:22 AM

The second question is valid. I would never suggest a board with an extruded base if they are trying to push their riding.

Extruded base material is the cheapest and least expensive material a base can be made with, it is very commonly used.
I believe that it is the hardest but easiest to repair, yet holds wax the poorest.
I think that is correct.
So it is durable, and conveinent and cheap.
When you upgrade to a nicer board, you’ll likely have a nicer base material that will hold wax better and give a faster ride, but it’s usually softer and easier to damage… and also not as easy to repair.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

This is a cut and paste out of the waxing article I wrote….

There are two different types of bases – extruded and sintered.

Extruded bases are cheaper and easier to maintain. However they don’t absorb wax efficiently and they don’t perform as well as a sintered base. For this reason, waxing an extruded base isn’t entirely necessary and a rub on wax will be sufficient.

A sintered base is porous and physically absorbs wax into the pores of the base material. Sintered bases are faster, maintain momentum a lot better, and are more resistant to damage.

snowslider - 17 June 2009 03:00 AM
cmat - 17 June 2009 12:22 AM

Extruded base material is the cheapest and least expensive material a base can be made with, it is very commonly used.
I believe that it is the hardest but easiest to repair, yet holds wax the poorest.
I think that is correct.
So it is durable, and conveinent and cheap.
When you upgrade to a nicer board, you’ll likely have a nicer base material that will hold wax better and give a faster ride, but it’s usually softer and easier to damage… and also not as easy to repair.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Nearly right. Extruded are softer and less resistant to damage, but easier to repair.

So I was right, but I was wrong… not bad.
smile
grin
Not REAL bad.

snowslider - 16 June 2009 10:23 AM
pow_frother - 16 June 2009 10:14 AM

Some good ones to add i think are:

What are their future plans? Trips overseas, 1 weekend a year etc etc

Who do they ride with? Are they better than you? And do they push them to improve?

Those are good questions for informational and conversational purposes. Things that are nice to know.
But I dont see how they would change what I may suggest for them to buy one product vs another.

I personally think asking someone about future riding plans are a big deal. If someone is coming from a beginnres background and is doing a whole season riding she or he will be a better rider in a years time. If they dont want to buy a new board each year, you might reccommend something a little different to cater future riding skills.

I’m slowly becoming more wrong.
smile

snowslider - 19 June 2009 12:39 AM

smile

Bawa would be proud of you..

Dave99 - 19 June 2009 04:39 AM
snowslider - 19 June 2009 12:39 AM

smile

Bawa would be proud of you..

Bawa should be the new Animal Chin for snowboarding.

“If you try, everything you strive for will come close to you, and you will reap the benefit.”