The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Magnetraction, turning, ice

I wouldn’t be trying to carve turn more so with the magnetraction if you see a patch of ice you can be reasonable sure if your on your edge you can straightline through it on your edge and it will hold, I wouldn’t want to be hitting ice towards the end up a pumping carve turn, that wouldn’t be nice.

skip11 - 09 January 2012 03:30 AM

It’s just that I kept hearing people saying you can carve on ice with mag or hold a good edge with mag. But since you’re not really carving how can you hold an edge on ice is what I’m thinking/asking?

To a certain extent you can. It really depends on the terrain (steepness) and just how hard/slick the ice is. Magne-traction on ice is better than no Magne-traction.

I see, thanks for the explanation Jez!  shaka

ive got a lib tech skate banana and riding up at hotham last year i found that the angle i could turn (not neccesarily on ice but just in general) was massively increased
it just helped me get a bit deeper bite into whatever i was riding on
and the snow at hotham michelle  is not so great

I think a lot of people have a pretty loose definition of “carving”.

That’s probably part of the reason too mudhoney raspberry

In NZ last year, my mate bought a lib over there with mag. I tried it out for 2 runs and i must say it seemed to have an effect on me..Wasn’t much ice to try it out on (Fortunately), but I could also dart from edge to edge extremely quickly, in a straight line and turning. But I wouldn’t know if that was due to factors more than just the mag smile

boards with narrow waists are quick edge to edge.
I like mag when I’m on a board with it, but I don’t miss it when I don’t have it. Burton’s frost bite edges are basically the same thing, just a super mellow version of mag

Magnetraction and other edge technologies do help a little bit with holding an edge. “Little Bit” not a lot. They definitely don’t turn ice into powder.

When it comes down to it, rider ability is what will allow you to carve on ice (to some degree)

What will help you the most is inclining less and angulating more. That way you will have all your weight over the edge, not over the snow which is what makes you board slide out.
If you are really good at angulating then you can still be over your board and still get a good edge angle going.

But everyone (including myself) are always looking for a board to give them a little something extra in their riding.
So if you want magnetraction then go for it. I have a different version of it on my board. For rockered boards it takes away some of the “washyness”
which is the rockers weak point.

I have a banana and a Burton Fix, similar rockers on them.
The best way to describe the Banana v Fix is the Fix feels like driving a car with bald tires on a wet road.
The Banana feels like I just put some nice new tires on.

I really notice on the Fix when I land, if I am leaning back a little it is really washy.

As for ‘turning ice into powder’ thats just a catch phrase for marketing smile

who carves on ice these days?  Is this an aussie thing?

Are u Canadian Aidy?

No, english.