The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Magnetraction, turning, ice

Ok so I’ve been hearing a lot of times that magne turns ice into powder, you can carve on ice, blah3. The question is what is their definition of ice? Last time I was riding, was practicing my carves, did a heelside carve hit a small patch of ice and slipped out, fell on my butt. This was on my Lib T.Rice board with mag. Happened twice already. I asked rider and shaner and both of them said to use less edge angle and ride more flat based.

So I was wondering, do people really carve on ice when they say “magnetraction helps hold a good edge on ice”, “could turn on ice”, etc2?

I have found that mag works much better than straight edges but as far as turning ice into powder is concerned there is nothing that is really able to do that.  You’re still going to need to be aware of the surface you’re on.

From my understanding of dealing with ice, shifting your weight more onto your back leg as you are finishing off the turn is the key. This gives you more of a full edge hold with the board.

I personally found Magnetraction made no real difference!!!!!

And like nthn said, ya just gotta be aware of what surface is under ya at the time!!!!! I tend to be ready for he “slide” when the ice patch is comin up!!!!!

I personally found Magnetraction made no real difference!!!!!

And like nthn said, ya just gotta be aware of what surface is under ya at the time!!!!! I tend to be ready for he “slide” when the ice patch is comin up!!!!!

The last time I rode a Lib Tech board with Magne-traction (Travis Rice Pro), the additional grip was noticeable. A serrated edge cuts ice better than a standard edge - it makes sense and it works. But the most important thing is technique. No edge can stop you from sliding out if you aren’t balanced over the edge. It’s important to be light on your edges when riding ice; what’s even more important is that your body is aligned properly and you’re balanced over the edge.

Why do ice skates have a solid straight edge as opposed to a serrated one?????

Maybe ya can shed some more light on this than anyone else, Jez?????  smirk

teacherboy

I thought hockey skates have serrated edges?

@rider: Light on your edge meaning you still use high edge angle but just light pressure?

To get into this a bit more I think the issue here may not the edge design but what the turn you’re doing is like and the terrain you are riding.  Basically if you are riding a steep gradient and the surface is suspect you’re probably wanting to keep speed down and will be kicking the tail out a fair bit to wash off speed.  The other way would be to make long carving turns across the entire width of the run which isn’t always possible in high traffic areas.  Regardless of the edges on your board, when you kick the tail out it’s going to slide out if you hit ice, when your edge is set and you’re carving properly the magnetraction really comes into it’s own.  Unless it’s that bumpy blue marble looking horror show stuff you shouldn’t slide out with the mag, without it’s a different story.

That’s my take on it anyway

skip11 - 09 January 2012 12:37 AM

@rider: Light on your edge meaning you still use high edge angle but just light pressure?

No, I mean use low angles. If you need to angulate more, it’s essential you stay aligned and balanced. If you have too much weight back (on a heelside turn), you will slide out. You need to be balanced over the edge.

@rider and ntnbeaches: See that’s what I’m talking about. You (rider) always said to use low edge angle which I take it not really carving, but more using skidded turns. And nthn beaches said you can carve it just fine.

That’s right but it’s not carving I’m talking about. I’m talking riding over the ice efficiently. When I see ice, the last thing i think about is putting a hard carve through it. Carving and ice doesn’t mix too well.

When I’m carving in suitable conditions, then I try to use a lot of angulation. The same won’t work on hard ice though. When you’re carving, concentrate on angulating through use (flexing) of your lower joints (ankles, knees, hips), rather than just inclination (leaning over and remaining in a static body position).

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I always thought that’s what you meant.

It’s just that I kept hearing people saying you can carve on ice with mag or hold a good edge with mag. But since you’re not really carving how can you hold an edge on ice is what I’m thinking/asking?